PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed - brake upgrade, same m/c p/v

Anonymous_User
08-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Basically, would there be anything wrong with running the front disc brakes off of an '89 CS on an '86 Z using the '86 master cylinder and prop valve?

Swapping the short block in the Z, I thought I'd try going out the bottom with the motor and tranny. I'll probably never do that again, but now I have the K-member off and figure I might as well install the '89 K-member when things go back together. That will use the '89 CS front brakes. I have the '89 master cylinder and prop valve, but as usual with a 20 yr. old car, I know all the brake lines are going to twist off. Although this isn't my daily driver, I need the garage space soon so I need it to at least move under its own power. Hopefully this weekend. I don't want to spend the whole weekend running new hard lines.

So, if I install the '89 K member and '89 front brakes, still using the drum rear, the '86 m/c and the '86 p/v, it should work just fine, right?

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2006, 01:39 AM
The only thing I can see is the pedal will be spongy due to the m/c not being able to move enough volume of brake fluid.

supercrackerbox
08-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Agreed. I dunno, the brake lines might not be as bad as you think on the MC. That's an area that's a bit less prone to corrosion than say, on the bottom of the car itself. I'd buy a can of PB Blaster penetrating oil and soak it while you're working on the rest of it. I did the SLH1 upgrade to my '86 Z, albeit right when she turned 18 ;) and had no problems.

I swear PB Blaster should pay us to advertise it's products . . .

Jack's Dodge
08-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Basically, would there be anything wrong with running the front disc brakes off of an '89 CS on an '86 Z using the '86 master cylinder and prop valve?

Swapping the short block in the Z, I thought I'd try going out the bottom with the motor and tranny. I'll probably never do that again, but now I have the K-member off and figure I might as well install the '89 K-member when things go back together. That will use the '89 CS front brakes. I have the '89 master cylinder and prop valve, but as usual with a 20 yr. old car, I know all the brake lines are going to twist off. Although this isn't my daily driver, I need the garage space soon so I need it to at least move under its own power. Hopefully this weekend. I don't want to spend the whole weekend running new hard lines.

So, if I install the '89 K member and '89 front brakes, still using the drum rear, the '86 m/c and the '86 p/v, it should work just fine, right?
It will work, using a drum ream, but the rear disc is more effective, so do the swap when you can. Give the lines a chance before you write them off.