PDA

View Full Version : 93 Minivan 2.5 A/C charging spec?

wheming
09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
These damn internets....
Sometimes you just can't find what you need. Or the sites that offer the info want you to pay.

Anyway, need the 93 minivan 2.5l charging spec. How much refrigerant R-134a and oil is supposed to be in the system? I'm still in process of reinstalling and converting to the newer a/c system in MeanMini. I should have looked for the sticker when at the pic a part months ago.

Thanks!

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...

wheming
09-15-2012, 08:52 AM
After two days of looking i find this one. But doesn't list system oil capacity.
http://www.autoacsystems.com/techsupport/login/acinfo/capacity_refrigerant.html

black86glhs
09-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I would put 6-8 oz in the compressor, 2-4 oz in the receiver/dryer, 2-4 oz in the condenser.
As for refrigerant, I would start with 28 oz of r134. I don't think I would go over 32oz(2lbs) as it would overcharge it and reduce efficiency.

shackwrrr
09-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I would put 6-8 oz in the compressor, 2-4 oz in the receiver/dryer, 2-4 oz in the condenser.
As for refrigerant, I would start with 28 oz of r134. I don't think I would go over 32oz(2lbs) as it would overcharge it and reduce efficiency.

Damn, a full size ford van only takes 9oz of oil with 3.5lbs of 134. I would say 6 oz of oil, I've always gone by the rule of 2oz per major component from dry. The compressor will have about 2 oz In it either new or used so 6 should do it, 7 if you want to be safe

A.J.
09-15-2012, 11:55 PM

NOOOOOOOO, that's way too much oil. 8 oz max and that's only if you're installing everything new and dry. Put all 8 oz in the suction side of the compressor. Once the compressor is installed (both hoses hooked up), turn it by hand in the direction it suppose to rotate. You don't want to start the system with all that oil in the compressor because a liquid doesn't compress. But if you turn it by hand a few rotations you'll pump out the extra the compressor doesn't need. Pull the system into a vacuum and start with 1 lb (16oz) R-134a. R134a runs at a higher pressure than R12 so you don't need as much. (For example I have a converted to R134a system in my '88 van with front and rear AC and I only use 1 lb. I can't believe it either but 1 lb in my hybrid/hodge-podge system blows 60* in 110*+ AZ). After you put in 1 lb start it up and check your gauges. It's best to do this on the hottest day your area will see. Check your gauges. Low side needs to be between 30-40 psi and high side needs to be between 200-300 psi. Also you'll need a temperature gauge in the duct. Add an oz at a time. Watch the temperature gauge in the dash. When it starts to get warmer, stop adding refrigerant. Now you'll know how much your system needs.

A.J.

wheming
09-16-2012, 12:43 AM
I wasn't having much luck googling through my phone.... But got on the computer today and some of the same sites came up in my searching and found the spec on a napa page and mimicked on another page.
For a 93 Caravan with front a/c only, the spec was 36oz R134a, and 7oz PAG46 oil.
That other link said 32oz if i remember.
But yes, I will charge low and slow and will probably end up less than the spec.
Thanks for the tips AJ. Never replaced a compressor or charged without oil already in the system.

black86glhs
09-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I forgot you already have the old oil in the system. Either way, I always do 6-8 oz in the compressor. After thinking about it, I usually only add 2oz to both the dryer and condenser. Never had a failure do to over, even with the extra in the dryer and condenser. It will just sit there. I have had compressor failures after people told me to put in less than I normally do.

On second thought, being a dodge, the engine will lock up and the trans will start slipping if you add an extra 4 oz of oil. It doesn't hurt fords or gms.:D

The 28ozs was slightly over 12% less refrigerant than the R-12 amounts. General rules is 10% less R-134 than R-12 but starting less and working your way up is not a bad idea at all.

wheming
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
My system is completely new except for the evaporator. I've flushed and blown all the old oil out of it. I'll probably do once more prior to installing all my new lines and expansion valve.
I'm reinstalling a/c on MeanMini using the 93 caravan setup and compressor, however i have an aftermarket parallel flow condenser. System capacity might have changed slightly with it. So i'll start low and see. I'll use the 7oz spec for the oil. Oil doesn't refrigerate, so too much effects efficiency.

I'm actually thinking of waiting until i get my rebuilt motor to install everything. Hate to make the engine replacement more of a pain by adding it now. But i do want to get everything working. So not sure yet as maybe that will only be spring due to work schedule.

black86glhs
09-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you are good to go.

black86glhs
09-19-2012, 01:35 AM
You guys are probably right to go with a little less than I stated. I am used to adding it to the body of V-5 compressors and you can add 6-8oz no problem without hurting them. When adding to the ports, I only add about 4oz to the compressors and another 2-4 to the dryer.

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Add very little to the compressor as if you add too much, you can damage it. Most compressors come with oil so be wary of that. I usually put some in the lines, receiver dryer, evap core and condenser to avoid pooling it in one place. I think I charge my van at 1.75 lbs of R134A, I can check tomorrow, blows ice cold, :nod:

black86glhs
09-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, the amount I was referring to was after draining the compressor. If it had 6-8 in it, I just put it back in. I was not saying add that to what is in the compressor.