PDA

View Full Version : Best state for an engine swap with these choices... Co, Ut, Wy

rosie
09-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Job will be moving me to a "region" soon and I've got an 83 Scamp GT with a non stock engine in it. I'm fully aware of the mess you have to go through in Ca for a swap like that and am hoping to enjoy some lax on those rules. It'll burn clean, just visually not match the 110hp carb motor it came with.

This will influence where I get my Drivers licence and official residence at.

Thanks for the help.

Rosie

tryingbe
09-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Will one won't need emission?

1BADVAN
09-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Living in Utah my guess would be Wyoming does not have emissions. I know Colorado on some things can be environmentally strict, but not positive one either.

Depending on where you live in Utah they don't have emissions either the far north and most of southern Utah doesn't have emissions. But idk if they would care about swaps.

I do know there are cars at the track with both Utah and WY plate and engine swapped cars, just not sure how easy it is to do it.

Where are you hoping to move? Is your job moving you?

rosie
09-15-2012, 01:16 AM
The place I was told is an option and I've got on top of my list is grand junction. I'm a big snowboarder and that's as close to all the mountains as I'll get. Other spots were vernal utah, cheyenne, wy, and a few others that were equally isolated and far from "where I want to live" as per my new boss. I won't hear officially until next friday. Counting my chickens as they say.

So utah has emissions free zones? Ca has those too but I think you have to smog it once. Again, I'm not going to be running a dirty car, just a non certified motor swap. Common place with td's but this it's the first one I've done that started as a non turbo car.

If I can find an area that does it like Az (as A.J. told me) that they tail pipe it and that's about it, I'm golden

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Will one won't need emission?
What?

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2012, 10:18 AM
No flare, shifts are solid, chirps 2nd gear, just kinda floats at the shift point and the engine runs out of steam, thought I had it right but need to play with the governor a bit more.

rosie
09-15-2012, 02:12 PM
No flare, shifts are solid, chirps 2nd gear, just kinda floats at the shift point and the engine runs out of steam, thought I had it right but need to play with the governor a bit more.
Dafaq?

zin
09-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Backwards words say to you I, again go it there, sh!t oh....:eyebrows:

On a more serious note, as I understand it, emissions testing and the level to which it is carried out depends on the air quality of the area. Someplace like Boulder CO would be more likely to have more and stricter enforcement, whereas a rural area would likely not have any... Big Bear comes to mind, I've been told by friends that live there they don't have to pass emissions at all...

Good luck with the new job! Still messing with punny generators?:)

Mike

rosie
09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Backwards words say to you I, again go it there, sh!t oh....:eyebrows:

On a more serious note, as I understand it, emissions testing and the level to which it is carried out depends on the air quality of the area. Someplace like Boulder CO would be more likely to have more and stricter enforcement, whereas a rural area would likely not have any... Big Bear comes to mind, I've been told by friends that live there they don't have to pass emissions at all...

Good luck with the new job! Still messing with punny generators?:)

Mike

Currently testing our big boy. The Titan 250. 30,000 hp and 18 to 20mW depending on inlet temperature. And didn't see you at the last meeting mike.... One of the crew I would have liked to have said goodbye to. :(

;)

Rosie

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Oh, and I'll be working on mostly compressor sets. I may be sobering someone to build me an all wheel drive l body so we'll be in contact ;)

A.J.
09-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Fixed

Will one state not need emissions testing?

Did you have your own "burtation" moment? http://youtu.be/xC2nC6NPYp4

For Utah there are some numbers half way down the page you can call to ask questions, depending on what county you're thinking of moving to: http://dmv.utah.gov/safety-and-emissions-inspections

Looks like Colorado is like AZ. It doesn't say anything about the visual. http://aircarecolorado.com/about-the-test/1982-and-newer-im-240-test/

I couldn't find a government run DMV site for Wyoming, they're all privately owned. So you're going to have to search that one.

Arizona is a breeze to pass emissions as far as swaps go as long it's pre '96. It's easy to pass with a turbo 4 when they're testing it as a V-6. It's going to be fun once I get my SRT-4 2.4 engine in my van and run it through. I actually look forward to emissions testing my van. Usually all my numbers could be double and I'd still pass.

A.J.

rosie
09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info AJ.

Anyone else?

2.216VTurbo
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
No advice on your impending move choices but I've heard tell that Grand Junction is a nice town. I've heard from a couple other Cali folks in the last few months that are relocating to CO, one to Denver, one to Colorado Springs, maybe it's the beer there?:D It was cool to see you again after your long SoCal meeting hiatus, the new reinvented Rosie was a shock but without sounding to ghey, you look good and it seems like things are really heading in a positive direction for you:) Good on you man, when you visit CA, try to make sure it coincides with a first Thursday meet.:nod: