PDA

View Full Version : Steering loose

LeBaronMike
09-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone, I had a great leak in my power steering pressure line so I replaced it. Now my steering wheel has a good 3 inch left and 3 inch right of loose play. Is the steering rack loose? If so can that be fixed or is that caused by wear and tear? Also when I am driving slow my steering wheel is turned a whole 1/4 turn to the right for me to go straight.

zin
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Definitely sounds like something is off, but I doubt the 3" of travel in the wheel is due to a loose rack, unless it's not really attached at all!

Do check it by watching the rack while someone turns the wheel back and forth, that way you can see if the rack itself moves relative to the K-member, or if there is just that much play in the steering rack's internals and/or if it is the tie rods. The inner ones will be covered and so may be difficult to see if that's where the play is coming from, but you should be able to "roll up" the covers and see if they are the loose point.

The fact that the steering wheel is off is proof enough that the alignment isn't right, so plan on getting that done, after you figure out where the slack is...

Mike

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Wow, sounds like the rack isn't bolted down or you have something broken, that's alot of play. Check the tie rods, control arm bushings, rack mounting etc.

shackwrrr
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds like the aluminum section of the rack might be broken allowing the rack to move.