PDA

View Full Version : l body manual rack install parts

wallace
09-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I finally got around to trying to install my manual rack on my k member and here it what I have found. The input shaft on the rack I have is slightly less than 9/16" in diameter I'm guessing its actually 14mm. I read the other threads on buying the borgeson u-joint. However the spline count on my shaft appears to be 26 splines and not 17. Has anyone used a rack that has 9/16-26 splines for the input? I believe the borgeson 9/16-26 joint will work. The second issue is the soft bushing and the bushing "strap" that goes on the passenger side. Doing some digging I found that the early neon manual rack bushing is the same. The metal strap is shown as available on some of the online dodge parts stores. does anyone know if the neon mounting strap will physically bolt down to the omni k frame? Any information is appreciated. The rack I have is a reman TRW unit I bought off of ebay, the mounting holes for the driver side line up. I'm going to compare the tie rods to see if I can use the power ends on the manual. I'm going to call the local dealership in the morning to see if I can verify that the manual strap for the neon is available.

ShelGame
09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I finally got around to trying to install my manual rack on my k member and here it what I have found. The input shaft on the rack I have is slightly less than 9/16" in diameter I'm guessing its actually 14mm. I read the other threads on buying the borgeson u-joint. However the spline count on my shaft appears to be 26 splines and not 17. Has anyone used a rack that has 9/16-26 splines for the input? I believe the borgeson 9/16-26 joint will work. The second issue is the soft bushing and the bushing "strap" that goes on the passenger side. Doing some digging I found that the early neon manual rack bushing is the same. The metal strap is shown as available on some of the online dodge parts stores. does anyone know if the neon mounting strap will physically bolt down to the omni k frame? Any information is appreciated. The rack I have is a reman TRW unit I bought off of ebay, the mounting holes for the driver side line up. I'm going to compare the tie rods to see if I can use the power ends on the manual. I'm going to call the local dealership in the morning to see if I can verify that the manual strap for the neon is available.

The rack on my Daytona was a 9/16-26, same as yours. And, I have an L-Body rack in my garage with the same spline. I think it's actually a 9/16, the splines are usually undercut a couple thou so that they fit easily. Doesn't need to be a press fit on the coupler; that's what the roll pin is for.

On the mounting strap, I actually just made a spacer from an aluminum tube and used the power rack mount/rubber. I couldn't find the right manual rack mounting parts.

wallace
09-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the bushing and strap this morning if they are both available.

wallace
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Bushing and strap are NLA from the dealer. Rats.

wallace
09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Update on this. I found Unisteer part # 8020660 for the bushing and strap assembly. $10....with $15 UPS shipping. I ordered today and will find out if it will work for mine or not sometime this week. Also ordered the Borgeson ujoint. I got 9/16-26 on both ends so if someone needs the 9/16-26 for a manual rack install let me know I'll sell it for half the cost of the joint.

ShelGame
09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Update on this. I found Unisteer part # 8020660 for the bushing and strap assembly. $10....with $15 UPS shipping. I ordered today and will find out if it will work for mine or not sometime this week. Also ordered the Borgeson ujoint. I got 9/16-26 on both ends so if someone needs the 9/16-26 for a manual rack install let me know I'll sell it for half the cost of the joint.

I'll take the other half of the borgesson joint. I just got a spare manual rack a couple weeks ago.

wallace
09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Well Borgeson threw me a curve ball. they took my order for a double 9/16-26 u-joint. the sales person commented that the joint would do me no good with that configuration as it wouldn't work on any known combination. I told her it was no biggie I only needed one side of the joint and I would disassemble when received. They called me back about 30 minutes after I posted here and said they would not provide the joint in that configuration and that they cannot be disassembled. I changed the order to a shelf stock item 9/16-26 by 3/4 double d. I think they were full of bull to say it cannot be disassembled. so long story short all I'll be able to get is one 9/16-26...hopefully they don't weld the ujoints to the yokes.

ShelGame
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Well Borgeson threw me a curve ball. they took my order for a double 9/16-26 u-joint. the sales person commented that the joint would do me no good with that configuration as it wouldn't work on any known combination. I told her it was no biggie I only needed one side of the joint and I would disassemble when received. They called me back about 30 minutes after I posted here and said they would not provide the joint in that configuration and that they cannot be disassembled. I changed the order to a shelf stock item 9/16-26 by 3/4 double d. I think they were full of bull to say it cannot be disassembled. so long story short all I'll be able to get is one 9/16-26...hopefully they don't weld the ujoints to the yokes.

IIRC, they are staked in. But, it's no biggie to press the bearing races out and re-stake them later. Other MFGs keep the bearing races in with a set screw instead.

wallace
09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep I figured that's what it was. Guessing they didn't want to sell it to me knowing I would disassemble due to liability concerns or something like that. The factory one was staked and I just pressed it out without touching the stakes. bummer they wouldn't sell me two of the same I would really liked to have offset some of the cost. The U-joint assembly was just $20 shy of what I paid for the whole rack assembly off of ebay.

black86glhs
09-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Should have said you were making your own steering shaft. I had to do the same that you did Wallace. Just like pressing out a u-joint, just smaller.

wallace
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah my kung fu was weak on the approach to getting the double 9/16-26. 92 bucks including shipping for half of a ujoint. Those guys are making a killing on those little things. I'd love to know where they get their parts.

ShelGame
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-u-joint-9-16-26-spline-to-3-4-round-Mustang-II-manual-/140744894747?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c50ca91b&vxp=mtr

Or, here's the one you originally wanted (and they wouldn't sell you)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-u-joint-9-16-26-spline-to-3-4-round-Mustang-II-manual-/140744894747?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c50ca91b&vxp=mtr

wallace
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
damn I wish I had looked on ebay it didn't occur to me since I was ordering something custom. should have cancelled the order when they wouldn't accomodate me.

black86glhs
09-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Weird how you guys use the 26 spline though. I had to use the 17 spline one. I wonder if that is a year model thing? Good to know they have both.

wallace
09-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Weird how you guys use the 26 spline though. I had to use the 17 spline one. I wonder if that is a year model thing? Good to know they have both.

Bryan, is yours a TRW rack? Wondering if the diff is TRW is 26 spline and Saginaw is the 17?

black86glhs
09-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Bryan, is yours a TRW rack? Wondering if the diff is TRW is 26 spline and Saginaw is the 17?

I think mine is the Saginaw. That would explain it. Hmmmm.

wallace
09-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Got the ujoint yesterday and got it disassembled and re-assembled to the old shaft. The unisteer bushing and hold down clamp are supposed to be here today. I'll post in here as to whether or not if fit the k member.

wallace
09-27-2012, 12:23 PM
The Unisteer part # 8020660 works like a champ, It comes with a bushing, hold down, and an aluminum spacer. So if you want to do a manual swap and don't have those parts this will work. I'm going to post pictures in my build thread of the parts I used.

black86glhs
09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
The Unisteer part # 8020660 works like a champ, It comes with a bushing, hold down, and an aluminum spacer. So if you want to do a manual swap and don't have those parts this will work. I'm going to post pictures in my build thread of the parts I used.I was going to ask about this. Awesome! I need one too. Where did you order it from?

wallace
09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
I got it direct from unisteer.