PDA

View Full Version : ignition coil options

Sundance 6g72
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
i experience some spark blowout the other night (13.7psi) so i had to run the car all night on 9psi. it even had some blowout on 11psi.

i am running e85. i forget what plugs im running, i think they are one heatrange colder than the stock 3000gtTT plugs. ngk platnums

the plan is to go with some copper plugs. The word on the street is that they work fine and sometimes better than the platnum plugs but they dont last as long.

I was running my gap at .025 i think, cant remember but thats what i want to say it was. Im not sure how easily i can get the car to run it even lower... so im starting to look at some different coil options. MY current coil is a blaster 3 msd off the shelf coil from autozone. I bought it forever ago when i thought my oem coil was crapped out (same price). The reason i dont want to make the gap even smaller is that to me, it feels like a bandaide to the real issue. DOHC cars are running .025-.030 on 600awhp with the difference being that they have some fancy ignition coil setup.

I know brent ran his 5L ford coil with the stock dizzy and made lots of power. Much more than i am currently set up to make. Im thinking of looking around for a 5L coil but am open to suggestions.

ps, id like to go wasted spark or edis but for right now, i want to keep the distributor. Brent made lots of power on it so i should be able to make decent power with it.

Also, i have not looked at my plugs yet, i should be able to do that in a few days. for all i know they are just really worn and the gapped opened up to .30 or higher.

RoadWarrior222
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Ford coil or fresh Mopar coil.

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
First off, GET RID OF THE PLUGS, platinum will melt in a boosted motor and make one hell of a mess, some coppers or Iridiums are fine. I would just get an OE type coil and be done with it. I run an Aurora coil but they aren't cheap, but arc welders seldom are, :p

Shadow24
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
EDIS can be run with a couple different coils other than the FORD one as long as the primary resistance is close enough. I'm running GM DIS coils with the EDIS module with no ill effects and a pretty darn good spark. I've seen these same coils jump a 3" gap due to bad plugs/wires (was jumping through the boot to the mounting bolt, needless to say a tuneup was in order...lol {p.s. it wasn't my car either})

Sundance 6g72
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
they might be iridium, i cant remmeber. i know it was what some of the top 3000gt cars are activly running so it was not a "Bad" option by any means.

right now the current choice is oe dohc TT copper plugs.

edis is out of the question currently, no time to work with getting a crank sensor and wheel woring properly. maybe in november when i get my new car. Thats when i plan on doing a majority of the work, turbo, injectors, bigger downpipe, bla bla bla

but i need an ignition system that will max 42# injectors on e85.

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
they might be iridium, i cant remmeber. i know it was what some of the top 3000gt cars are activly running so it was not a "Bad" option by any means.

If they are running platinum's, which I doubt, its a bad choice due to platinum's low melting point. If you look up plugs, they will say not for forced induction.

RoadWarrior222
09-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Another bad reason to run platinums is that it is catalytic to the oxidisation of ethanol (i.e. burning) thus when hot you will most likely get pre-ignition of any fuel with ethanol in... takes away all your timing control.

Sundance 6g72
09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
If they are running platinum's, which I doubt, its a bad choice due to platinum's low melting point. If you look up plugs, they will say not for forced induction.

hmm i dont think that is what they would have been using.

coppers it is i guess. factory twin turbo heat range is what i think ill go with. i know those guys stick with factory spec plugs even when over 350whp.. with e85, im not worried.

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
hmm i dont think that is what they would have been using.

coppers it is i guess. factory twin turbo heat range is what i think ill go with. i know those guys stick with factory spec plugs even when over 350whp.. with e85, im not worried.

Yep, nothing wrong with copper plugs at all. Are the TT plugs colder than the stock 3.0L plugs? I haven't actually looked them up but can if you don't know.

Sundance 6g72
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
i think they are "1 stage" colder? maybe two.