PDA

View Full Version : 287 to 782 swap

Orangetona
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Ok...ive got an 85 block 10mm headbolts. Can I swap an 87 swirl on it and use 10mm bolts? Also, will it change the timing? Keeping it a slider cam, 782 cam though.

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
The head bolts no problem, BUT you'll be bumping up the compression aprox 1/2 point, so you can either use a thicker cometic, the copper shim or just take out some timing.

Orangetona
09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Would you think just running it on 7-8lbs otherwise would just be fine? Also, all sliders are the same? Like an 85 slider is the same as an 87 as far as no timing changes?

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Would you think just running it on 7-8lbs otherwise would just be fine? Also, all sliders are the same? Like an 85 slider is the same as an 87 as far as no timing changes?

Square tooth is square tooth, :p

You should keep the rockers with the same lobe but many of us don't, :p

Low boost should be fine, you'll have to run premium and maybe retard the timing a few degree's.

Orangetona
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Square tooth is square tooth, :p

You should keep the rockers with the same lobe but many of us don't, :p

Low boost should be fine, you'll have to run premium and maybe retard the timing a few degree's.

Omg...you should have seen the rockers on this thing. They were SHOT. The whole head was basically garbage. Im sure im going to be looking for a block here too. Haven't torn into it yet to know. This guy drove this car WAY too long with water in it. (HG was shot)

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
:needpics1:

Orangetona
09-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Hahaha well...maybe I will get some of those later!

OmniLuvr
09-13-2012, 03:55 PM
i would MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE CAL. if you try to run the engine with 287 pistons and 782 head, you will have issues even at low boost with timing retarded, its the timing curve that will get you, not just the total advance.

my friend ran his le baron with the same setup and a stock boost and g-head cal, he ran it for ONE day, and on our way to the yard the next day to get the correct cal, it broke a piston, NOT EVEN IN BOOST!

BUT, i ran my 87 SC with a g-head bottom end and stock swirl top with a log setup to 10 psi on stock cal with no problems.

its all in the cal...