PDA

View Full Version : who would you go with and why (burned chip)

Sethyboy85
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I am in the market for a custom ECU, next week I pic up a 91 Spirit R/T with a 8v built motor... I want to get a 3 bar cal, TU is not being considered at this time so I was wondering who else out there would/ could help me and if anybody has any feedback

It will be a hyrbrid turbo 50'ish trim/.63ar
big valve head
NPR IC
3" exhaust
+40%
the usual stuff, car ran a 13.5 @ 105 on 3 cylinders on 19psi (grounded plug wire) so it's got balls but I want to DD boost around 19psi basically make 300whp or so.

Una
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Carpe Diem.. Seize your own destiny... Do it yourself.

Anonymous_User
08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
+1

Do.It.Your.Self.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Shelgame-aka Rob Lloyd. Theres a few others but can't remember who. I have Rob's chip and love it.

Frank
08-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Rob is the man, but I believe he only does the later model calibrations at this time. I got sick of waiting and never hearing from Paul. So I know have Rob's cal and as soon as my burner shows up I will be giving it a try and I will be able to make my own adjustments all the time.

Frank

cordes
08-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Rob is the man, but I believe he only does the later model calibrations at this time. I got sick of waiting and never hearing from Paul. So I know have Rob's cal and as soon as my burner shows up I will be giving it a try and I will be able to make my own adjustments all the time.

Frank

I would have Rob do one if you did not want to do it yourself. I have elected to modify the public cals that he has out there though. It is really not to bad so long as one is patient.

Sethyboy85
08-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Id probably get greedy and have a nice paper weight, besides I am going to get full specs on the motor and possibly even some info on the cal that was for the motor so it shouldn't be too hard. I would rather pay somebody and drop it in than mess around with it, I have other projects that take up my time.

thanks for the input guys..

Pat
08-12-2006, 06:45 AM
That's Jon's car right? Isn't there already a Donovan 3 bar in it?

Sethyboy85
08-12-2006, 11:40 AM
he's keeping it..

Una
08-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Make a copy.. ;)

Frank
08-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Make a copy.. ;)

uhh, not right.

Una
08-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Not right if he's a current vendor. I don't believe he still sells cals.. I never hear him mentioned as an option when people ask.. (Like in this thread) No worse than making a copy of a Maxon cal, or any of the other has-beens.. Or the original MP cals..

Directconnection
08-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Gary isn't stupid, so I will garauntee he is not letting the car go with the cal temporarily.

Frank
08-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Not right if he's a current vendor. I don't believe he still sells cals.. I never hear him mentioned as an option when people ask.. (Like in this thread) No worse than making a copy of a Maxon cal, or any of the other has-beens.. Or the original MP cals..

Gary still support any of his previous cals last I heard. People can do whatever they want... it is just the respect that is the biggest thing.

Una
08-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah.. Not condoning stealing vendors cals.. I usually point vendors towards that kind of activity so they can stop it.. No offense intended.. But this thread is kind of going off on a tangent now, so I'll drop this and let it get back to the original topic.. :)

Sethyboy85
08-12-2006, 08:14 PM
yeah, stop crapping in my thread... lol (I don't care)

made me chuckle so you guys can say what you want.

I will have all the specs I should need to get a cal made without them seeing the car, besides you can't truly get a good cal made without the person either driving (data logging) your car or it on a dyno with everything hooked up anyway

Ground Rat
08-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Shelgame-aka Rob Lloyd. Theres a few others but can't remember who. I have Rob's chip and love it.
Is he on this site? How long does it take? I need a 3 bar cal for my '90 2.5L.

Directconnection
08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Me too. Try Rob's cal out and tell me what you think. Basically, be the guinea pig :eyebrows:

puppet
08-13-2006, 11:29 AM
That's Jon's car right? Isn't there already a Donovan 3 bar in it?

he's keeping it..Wouldn't hurt to have the seller ask Gary for a copy first.

1FastCSX289
08-13-2006, 01:22 PM
If he already bought the cal from Gary, than why would it be wrong to copy it? Kind of like buying a CD and burning it for private use. As long as your not selling his work to other people, I dont think its wrong.

Una
08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
If you just want a chip, I can download his publicly available cal and burn it for a fair price. Thing about the '90+ computers is they use a very rare and relatively expensive (about 3 times the price on Mouser) chip compared to the older computers. Or you could download the cal, play with it some in D-Cal, then email your modified cal to me, I can burn it to a chip and mail it to you.. Whatever works.. :)

Ground Rat
08-13-2006, 03:35 PM
It's going to be one or two months, but I will contact you when I'm ready.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:03 PM
If he already bought the cal from Gary, than why would it be wrong to copy it? Kind of like buying a CD and burning it for private use. As long as your not selling his work to other people, I dont think its wrong.

And I believe, that is one of the reasons Gary got out. If you ask him and he says yeah, go for it. If you copy it, its technically illegal morally but on the other side, yeah, I'll get flamed for this, its not illegal as he copied and modified the stock program and others copy MP's cals.

I know mines a SMEC but his cal works well. It needs a couple changes as its really rich but I think I have the "+40's that flow more" Yep, he's on this board, really nice guy too, :thumb:

Directconnection
08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
If he already bought the cal from Gary, than why would it be wrong to copy it?

Reason: Gary has guns.

1FastCSX289
08-13-2006, 05:05 PM
And I believe, that is one of the reasons Gary got out. If you ask him and he says yeah, go for it. If you copy it, its technically illegal morally but on the other side, yeah, I'll get flamed for this, its not illegal as he copied and modified the stock program and others copy MP's cals.

Just for the sake of the arguement..... most people dont pay someone for a cal just for the lack of equipment, they pay for the programmer's expertice. Again, its the same as buying a CD. I pay 15 dollars for a CD because I want the artist's music......not for the round piece of plastic. The law says once I have bought the CD, I can make as many copies as I want for personal use. I find it hard to believe that Gary or any other cal writer would have a problem with me burning a copy of their cal to keep as an extra, or for one to modify, or light on fire, or whatever......as long as im not posting on Turbo Mopar in the for sale section saying that I have Gary Donovan cals for sale. Even that wouldnt be illegal, because no one has a copywrite on the code except Chrysler.......obviously, this crosses into the immoral though.

1FastCSX289
08-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Reason: Gary has guns.

That would suck to get shot for burning a copy of his cal. That would ruin your whole day.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
That would suck to get shot for burning a copy of his cal. That would ruin your whole day.

Now that is funny, :lol:

Directconnection
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM

I dunno.... try and and let's find out?:eyebrows:

1FastCSX289
08-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I dunno.... try and and let's find out?:eyebrows:

Good think im running SDS, the last thing I would want is to get shot for copying a Donovan cal. I would never do business with him again!