PDA

View Full Version : Straps

forcedfedmopar
09-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Talk to me about strapping the front suspension to limit travel. Seems like a good idea for me and my omni but after doing some light google research ive gotton mixed results.

Right not im cutting 1.8 60' with 23x8 m&h slicks at 11psi. The 60s for me are not too bad. Its the 330 which sucks bad; around 5.2. After seeing several videos and pictures from different people its clear the car is transferring too much weight. I already shimmed the rear suspension up to help stiffen it up, LRE springs. The fronts are KYB struts with LRE springs.

I know taller slicks would be nice but i also think i could get more out of the 23s if they still had the weight over them. From what ive read some say its worked great others complained about it "lifting the weight off of the tires"

Tell me about them, do they work? How are they installed? Do different attachment points change how they work? Ive also seen chain and strap. (i personally would use strap, chain seems violent)

Thanks guys

BadAssPerformance
09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
You just need more tire... 24.5's will do better for you

Straps work but can cause more damage than good... race-car only type stuff too

I recall Warren saying he tried them but was hurting the axles so went a different route

Somewhere I got a pic of Beauregards car from SDAC-13 (2003) with a chain welded between the LCA and frame rail... but that was also a sub 2000lb car on big tires

forcedfedmopar
09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
So is it a waste of time? I guess i dont want to spend money on suspension and tires right before winter and was looking to get just a little more out ot it before hangn the helmet up for the winter.

shadow88
09-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I went with just air shocks. It doesn't seem to transfer too much weight, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZU9uLX89XY&list=UUpZyGS2dS5rsGwY90qzLzlA&index=4&feature=plcp

Shadow
09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Are you flat shifting 2nd? what clutch are you running? I Couldn't get out of the 4.8X's (one 4.78) even switching to 26's until I got a Real clutch in the car ;) First time out with the new clutch set-up I knew the difference was night and day as the Charger went completely sideways when I hit 2nd and destroyed the 26's :)

forcedfedmopar
09-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I have the 6puck purple plate in the omni. It holds great! I am DESTROYING the tires as soon as boost hits. I WOT shift into second but usually have to back off or short shift into 3rd to gain traction. and depending on track conditions i have to use 4th gear before the 1/8th mile.

The tires spin so hard that i can turn the wheel (like in the burnout box) and continue straight down the track.

Shadow
09-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I have the 6puck purple plate in the omni. It holds great! I am DESTROYING the tires as soon as boost hits. I WOT shift into second but usually have to back off or short shift into 3rd to gain traction. and depending on track conditions i have to use 4th gear before the 1/8th mile.

The tires spin so hard that i can turn the wheel (like in the burnout box) and continue straight down the track.

Drop your slicks down to 9 psi or go 24/24.5's.