PDA

View Full Version : Removing Strut ?

Lee'sdaytona
08-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone,
I went ahead and took the struts out of my minivan today. Well when pulling one the bottom of the strut on the passenger's side, I pulled the axle out enough for about a tablespoon of ATF to leak on the ground. All I did was carefully push the axle back in, and the leak stopped. Is that ok? I didn't get under there to look if the boot popped off....
-Lee

cordes
08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
It should be fine, but I would have a gander at it to make sure.

Lee'sdaytona
08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
wow that has to be the quickest response I have ever received! so your saying just look to see that the boot is still on and I should be good to go?
thanks,
Lee

inmyshadow
08-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Don't you hate that.

I've forgotten about it a few too many times, leaving a nice stain on the ground.

I wouldn't worry, its typical when you remove the driver's side strut.

Lee'sdaytona
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
alright cool....I could care less about the stain on the ground...although I have blacktop and it looks like from your sig picture, you have cement or a lighter color driveway?
Well I can sleep tonight :)
For a first timer, do you guys think I should take the old and new struts to a shop to have them change the springs or do you think I could do it safely with a rented spring compressor? I mean it looks simple enough, but is it easy to screw up and let that spring go flying?
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Take it to a shop and have them swap it over. Those rented units are useless and you'll end up killing yourself, someone else or doing some serious property damage. I can't stress enough how dangerous these units are, there under tremendous spring pressure and can go off like a bomb.

BTW, what type did you get?

JDAWG
08-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I seen a spring go through a wooden ceiling, and one the whole way through a cinder block wall. The only spring compressor i would use is the one that mounts on the wall and you screw down the big pirate ship steering wheel on top. The sprtng stays in the compressor it isnt going anywhere.

85_600
08-10-2006, 09:41 PM
or doing some serious property damage. I can't stress enough how dangerous these units are, there under tremendous spring pressure and can go off like a bomb.

I can say from experience that this statement is true.:o

My first time was on a '63 Spitfire. I couldn't get the compressors off the spring so I laid it down and beat on it with a hammer. The spring went about 30 feet down the driveway and one of the compressors went and hit the back of the garage wall:eek:

So, if you do do it yourself, BE CAREFUL!!

I just cut the downpipe bolts off today and they were mini versions of regular springs. Ouch (one hand only though) :D

Lee'sdaytona
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Guys, thats all I need to hear. I'm cheap like all of us, but never too cheap for safety. I'll drop them off at my shop and have it done. I knew these things were dangerous, but I wasn't sure if the rentable compressors are any good. Thanks for the advice
I wanted to get Monroe Sensatrak, but Advance only had Monroe gasmatic....so I guess they are good...as long as it passes inspection.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Guys, thats all I need to hear. I'm cheap like all of us, but never too cheap for safety. I'll drop them off at my shop and have it done. I knew these things were dangerous, but I wasn't sure if the rentable compressors are any good. Thanks for the advice
I wanted to get Monroe Sensatrak, but Advance only had Monroe gasmatic....so I guess they are good...as long as it passes inspection.

Gasmatics, Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, talk about shiat.

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Gasmatics, Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, talk about shiat.
great, now I find out:mad: :mad: Well if it gets me through inspection I'll be happy....
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Ok so I got my struts back from the shop today. I just realized I have to go for an alignment after installation right? In this case, while its all apart, should I replace my bushings with the poly ones I ordered, and have sitting here? Basically what I'm asking is: If I install my struts, get it aligned then a few months from now I decide to install my bushings, do I have to get another alignment?
I still have to order the sway bar bushing, so I was trying to avoid doing the whole bushing job now.
thanks,
Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Ok so I got my struts back from the shop today. I just realized I have to go for an alignment after installation right? In this case, while its all apart, should I replace my bushings with the poly ones I ordered, and have sitting here? Basically what I'm asking is: If I install my struts, get it aligned then a few months from now I decide to install my bushings, do I have to get another alignment?
I still have to order the sway bar bushing, so I was trying to avoid doing the whole bushing job now.
thanks,
Lee

Yes, do it all now, you won't believe the difference in the way it rides and handles. Yes, if you do the bushings later, you will need another alignment. When you get it done, have some neg camber put in, -1/4 to -3/4 is perfect. If they won't do it, find another shop. Positive camber is :censored:

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
ok...so that means sway bar bushings too? I mean, since I don't have them, I should wait to install them and THEN get the alignment?
thanks,
Lee
oh yeah, John's instructions say to make this tool to swing down the a-arm....guess I have to make that too huh? or is there an easier way?
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 03:36 PM
OK well I just noticed I don't think I have the duel pivot A-arms, like I thought all the 89 minivans have. It appears to be the earlier single pivot arms.
Since I need my van for school in 8 days, I was thinking maybe just get it aligned with the new struts, and in the mean time, save some $$, buy the dual pivot a-arms, plus the poly sway bar bushings and replace all that when I do the 5-spd conversion....Because I'll need an alignment anyway after the stick shift conversion...
Check out the picture of my control arm
thanks,
Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
OK well I just noticed I don't think I have the duel pivot A-arms, like I thought all the 89 minivans have. It appears to be the earlier single pivot arms.
Since I need my van for school in 8 days, I was thinking maybe just get it aligned with the new struts, and in the mean time, save some $$, buy the dual pivot a-arms, plus the poly sway bar bushings and replace all that when I do the 5-spd conversion....Because I'll need an alignment anyway after the stick shift conversion...
Check out the picture of my control arm
thanks,
Lee

You have to use 88 Daytona items if your buying Energy Suspension items. You can put dual pivot arms there unless you swap out the K-member. PB also sells the correct bushings.

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 11:26 PM
You have to use 88 Daytona items if your buying Energy Suspension items. You can put dual pivot arms there unless you swap out the K-member. PB also sells the correct bushings.
Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by "energy suspension items". and did you mean you CAN'T put dual pivot arms in without swapping the K frame? Well if thats the case, I'll call Johnny at Polybushings and see if I can ship back the brand new dual pivot bushings and switch with the ones I need for my van.
Now that I put the tires back and lowered the van back on the ground, they are WAAAY out of alignment....I mean the top of the tires point outward...not sure if thats negative or positive camber, but definately f'ed up:evil: The first drive I make in it will be a few miles right to the alignment shop.
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by "energy suspension items". and did you mean you CAN'T put dual pivot arms in without swapping the K frame? Well if thats the case, I'll call Johnny at Polybushings and see if I can ship back the brand new dual pivot bushings and switch with the ones I need for my van.
Now that I put the tires back and lowered the van back on the ground, they are WAAAY out of alignment....I mean the top of the tires point outward...not sure if thats negative or positive camber, but definately f'ed up:evil: The first drive I make in it will be a few miles right to the alignment shop.
-Lee

No, you can't run dual pivot WITHOUT changing your K-member. Yes, you can get bushings from Jonny or Energy Suspension at your local parts store.

Positive camber is the wheels tilting OUT at the top. Neg is tilting in, like a lowered VW Bug.

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 11:42 PM
No, you can't run dual pivot WITHOUT changing your K-member. Yes, you can get bushings from Jonny or Energy Suspension at your local parts store.

Positive camber is the wheels tilting OUT at the top. Neg is tilting in, like a lowered VW Bug.
oh I get it:thumb: so in that case, i have excessive positive camber :eek:
Shouldn't hurt too much if I just drive it a few miles to the alignment shop...
-Lee

87glhs232
08-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Not really gonna hurt anything, but it's a simple matter of loosening the two strut to knuckle bolts a little and turning the cam bolt some....you can eyeball it pretty close. When I reassembled mine and eyeballed it I was an 1/8 off on both sides, alignment guy was surprised.

Lee'sdaytona
08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah...well maybe I'll mess around with it if I get the motivation to do it before I drive it to the shop...probably not a bad idea, because they are nice fairly new tires on there...
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Depends on how far you have to drive.

Lee'sdaytona
08-13-2006, 12:47 AM
about two miles
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:26 PM
2 miles, just drive it there. You won't do any damage.

Lee'sdaytona
08-14-2006, 09:42 AM
When you get it done, have some neg camber put in, -1/4 to -3/4 is perfect. If they won't do it, find another shop. Positive camber is :censored:

Well unfortunately, my alignment shop is closed for the week:mad: Since I need the van, I took it down to my local STS. I asked for some negative camber, 1/4-3/4 and the guy said OK, but he can't guarentee excessive tire ware....But I trust you simon, I just hope it passes NJ inspection because I think they check the alignment....they put these honey-comb looking things on the front wheels and flash lights at it...whatever that is...They also charged more when I told them I just put struts in and its way out of wack
:banghead: Ahh well...gotta get it done:nod:
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Well unfortunately, my alignment shop is closed for the week:mad: Since I need the van, I took it down to my local STS. I asked for some negative camber, 1/4-3/4 and the guy said OK, but he can't guarentee excessive tire ware....But I trust you simon, I just hope it passes NJ inspection because I think they check the alignment....they put these honey-comb looking things on the front wheels and flash lights at it...whatever that is...They also charged more when I told them I just put struts in and its way out of wack
:banghead: Ahh well...gotta get it done:nod:
-Lee

Well thats crappy. Never heard of a shop charging more due to you doing your own work on alignments???????? anyhow, theres no reason it won't pass inspection and it won't cause excessive tire wear. I run -3/4 and its lowered, :thumb:

Lee'sdaytona
08-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Well everyone, I picked up the van, and dispite me asking for some negative camber, the bill said "computerized alignment to factory specs"....whatever, so I ran it through NJ inspection again, (I failed for three things the first time: visible smoke, suspension, and license plate bulbs burnt out.) Beat the hell out of the engine to get the rings to seat/stop smoking, replaced bulbs and as you know, did the struts and alignment....Wouldn't you know it? THey didn't even check the suspension this time around! it came right off the dyno/emissions testor, and right to a passing sticker! oh well, at least it rides a lot better now!
thanks guys!
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I would get my money back or go in there screaming. YOU ASKED for neg camber, they should give you neg camber or refund your money. These shops that don't do what you ask for should be smacked around. Lee, I am serious, demand your money back or set it the way you asked for it. I guarantee they gave you positive camber, :censored:

Lee'sdaytona
08-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Simon, is there anyway to tell what they actually set it to? Jack the front end up and see how the tires lean maybe?
thanks,
Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Simon, is there anyway to tell what they actually set it to? Jack the front end up and see how the tires lean maybe?
thanks,
Lee

No, that won't work but they should have given you a print out. If not, demand one and if they don't have it, you ask for another alignment free of charge.