PDA

View Full Version : 95 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 Transmission

mr glenn
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Any Trans builders in the Detroit area real good with this Trans something is going on with the over drive light once it lights up trans does not want to pull and shift properly this is my friends 3rd used trans from mechanics who said they could fix the problem.

83rampage
09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
If the transmission kicks out of OD while driving and the OD light comes on my understanding is that the transmission is getting hot and its first step to limp mode.

I had a similar problem with a 46RE and I am fairly sure the anti-drainback valve in the tranny cooler line by the rad was plugged or restricting flow, or the cooler itself was partially plugged. I don't know for sure if you application has the drainback valve, but if it does get rid of it. It is located in the lower cooler line just before it goes into the cooler in the rad. It is supposed to stop the cooler from gravity draining when there is no flow through the cooler.

Any verify you have good circulation in the cooler circuit.

contraption22
09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Glenn,
I had an issue with my 1995 GC. It would not go into 1st or overdrive. I tried replacing the solenoids in the transmission on recommendation, but that was not the issue. Ended up finding a used transmission control unit in a salvage yard and popped it in. Problem solved. The trans control module is located under the dash on the driver's side. it likely has a large orange electrical connector on it. It is mounted to the firewall with two studs that go through the firewall with nuts on the underhood side.

Hope this helps.

Mike

mr glenn
09-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Glenn,
I had an issue with my 1995 GC. It would not go into 1st or overdrive. I tried replacing the solenoids in the transmission on recommendation, but that was not the issue. Ended up finding a used transmission control unit in a salvage yard and popped it in. Problem solved. The trans control module is located under the dash on the driver's side. it likely has a large orange electrical connector on it. It is mounted to the firewall with two studs that go through the firewall with nuts on the underhood side.

Hope this helps.

MikeThanks the mechanic located the module at the pick and pull It is my friends truck he loves it runs great except for the trans problems will also check all cooling lines. I will need a lockup Trans for my spirit T1 but my trans still runs good just slips into third