PDA

View Full Version : TIII Rods Again(HELP)

tompo
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm having no luck finding rods with the Venolia Piston's large .927pin. What do you guy's recommend.Thanks again

Directconnection
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
They have to be modified to run a .927 pin.... or have them custom made.

The .927 pin is totally un-necessary....

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
They have to be modified to run a .927 pin.... or have them custom made.

The .927 pin is totally un-necessary....

It is but that's all the Ven's come with, so if you want to run those, you have to modify or buy new rods. FWD I think has the modified rods in stock or have your machine shop make them bigger.

Another option is Wiseco's or JE's, they come with the stock size pin so you don't have to modify the small end.

tompo
09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree the size is not needed but the donor car I bought had a bunch of engine work already done to it including a ported head. the pistons still look new and being venolia's i'm going to reuse them.I'm thinking of going with the BC rods from FWD unless I can find a good rod already setup for the .927.Thanks

glhs727
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
It is but that's all the Ven's come with, so if you want to run those, you have to modify or buy new rods.

Venolias come in .912 pin size as well. We have only sold the .912 venolias since 2005.... so those .927 either came from someone else or were bought more than 7 years ago.... and our BC rods come in either .901 or .912 pins so they cover lots of different brand pistons, and of course will fit the pistons we sell as well.

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Venolias come in .912 pin size as well. We have only sold the .912 venolias since 2005.... so those .927 either came from someone else or were bought more than 7 years ago.... and our BC rods come in either .901 or .912 pins so they cover lots of different brand pistons, and of course will fit the pistons we sell as well.

My Ven's I got from you a few years ago were .927's, so those must have been old stock. Good to know.

tompo
09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the info. If I buy the BC rods and have them set-up for .927 will that weaken the rod on the small end.will I have to buy a set of new bushing's or does FWD sell a good rod already set-up.Thanks

glhs727
09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't know. I know that we did extra material there so I think you will be OK in that regards but the brass bushing might be pretty thin. So I wouldn't recommend i

tompo
09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I read in another fourm that Eagle makes a rod in the .927 pin for the 2.2 is this true and does anyone have a part #.Thanks

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Eagle does not make a .927 rod for us, you have to modify it. I was concerned about them being too thin after being modified but they never even flinched and I beat the snot out of them.

glhs727
09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
The BC rods have a lot more material at the small end so if you were going to modify one, I would take the BC over the eagle. Plus the eagle does not use a brass bushing so you would need to make the hole even bigger than .927 and you would have to use a custom bushing. The BC has a bushing already inserted, so you may be able to hone that out to the .927 but I can't say for sure. You might want to ask steve (directconnection) on here, he has spec'ed them out and may be able to tell us. If it were me, I would just sell the .927 venolias, get a set of .912 venolia's and the BC rods and be done with it!

Directconnection
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info. If I buy the BC rods and have them set-up for .927 will that weaken the rod on the small end.will I have to buy a set of new bushing's or does FWD sell a good rod already set-up.Thanks

I'm pretty sure the BC's will be ok opening them up just that little over the stock pin. FWDP had extra material added in the pin area for the larger 2.2 style pin vs. the smaller srt4 pin the Eagle rod's were designed for. I've modified the eagles to accept the stock 2.2 pin and even though it was thinner than I'd like to see.... they ran fine w/out any issue in a high rpm circle track car. With that being said, the beefier BC rods should accept the larger pin w/out issue. Take this to a reputable shop, though, if you have it done. The pin's small end needs to be "dead bag" square to the big end, and only way to do this is a special rod boring fixture (or lots of time playing with shimming)

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2012, 06:49 PM
The BC rods have a lot more material at the small end so if you were going to modify one, I would take the BC over the eagle. Plus the eagle does not use a brass bushing so you would need to make the hole even bigger than .927 and you would have to use a custom bushing. The BC has a bushing already inserted, so you may be able to hone that out to the .927 but I can't say for sure. You might want to ask steve (directconnection) on here, he has spec'ed them out and may be able to tell us. If it were me, I would just sell the .927 venolias, get a set of .912 venolia's and the BC rods and be done with it!

The Eagles do have a brass bushing, and you used to sell modified Eagles for the .927 pin with a bushing, :p

glhs727
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
The Eagles do have a brass bushing, and you used to sell modified Eagles for the .927 pin with a bushing, :p

yes, and it was very expensive to do that. Needed a special high speed cutter, and custom brass bushings etc... and once done, that small end was awful thin. Hence why when we had a chance to custom make our rods through BC, we added extra material. If the OP is dead set on using the .927 pins, then he will be better off modifying the BC than the eagles

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
yes, and it was very expensive to do that. Needed a special high speed cutter, and custom brass bushings etc... and once done, that small end was awful thin. Hence why when we had a chance to custom make our rods through BC, we added extra material. If the OP is dead set on using the .927 pins, then he will be better off modifying the BC than the eagles

Bummer. Yeah, I agree it was thin but seemed to hold up well, still are, :nod:

tompo
09-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the help, I am going to try to sell them with the T3 rods and the new ARP wave-locs.