PDA

View Full Version : Power windows!!!

John B
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
What's with these danged power windows? I have taken mine apart, cleaned, lubed, replaced motors, and they work for a week or so and then quit again. I can tell there is power to the motors because the lights dim when I press the window buttons. Any tips? What's the best grease? Better rebuilt motors? :confused:

RoadWarrior222
08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Clean up the grounds.

John B
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Clean up the grounds. Motor to door?

turbovanmanČ
08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Your convertible right? I have the same issue with a customers, I've put in like 5 motors, they don't last, the worst part is, I can't buy new, and I've tried, :censored: So in a nutshell, I have no fix for you.

Tbird232ci
08-29-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't have much experience with the power windows in turbo dodges, but in the GM F-bodies, we have a lot of power issues with them. Factory has a shoddy wire setup where the passanger side doesn't get the proper voltage, which will cause the motors to overheat, and kick the little thermal switch.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/1136267-diy-pass-window-fix-step-step-pics.html

That's a link to one of the wiring fixes we do on the f-bodies. Another thing guys do is replace the motor and regulator, but that only lasts a handful of years.

John B
08-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Your convertible right? I have the same issue with a customers, I've put in like 5 motors, they don't last, the worst part is, I can't buy new, and I've tried, :censored: So in a nutshell, I have no fix for you.

Oh bother. I know the geometry on the window lift is different for the convertible vs sedan and it doesn't have the same lift power with a given motor. Is there a motor with a better gear reduction that would lift slower but with more power?

John B
08-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I bought Cardonne "remanufactured" units but when I took the gear box cover off it had nasty old grease in it and was missing a gear. I think they just put power to old motors and if they run they clean them up and sell them as re-built.

RoadWarrior222
08-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking there's a lot of that going on with "remanufactured" stuff, gets a spit and polish and back out the door :(

However, there can be significant voltage drop problems, by grounds getting old (All of them in the circuit should be cleaned up, check diagrams to find them, don't have any for that body to hand, sorry) and also wires getting damaged, they might be internally cracked in the hinge and down to only 3 strands, even if they look perfect. The ideal course of action maybe to rewire the whole thing yourself with bigger gauge high flexibility wire.

turbovanmanČ
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
That's all I got were Cardone too, :mad:

I tried Ebay and someone listed new ones, I ordered it and of course, didn't fit. I am going to try another vendor off Ebay and see what happens. Did you look at Rock Auto, can't remember if I did or not.

RoadWarrior222
08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Princess auto are always getting surplus window (and mirror, seat and lock) motors in, so those could be eyeballed every visit in case something turns up that would work.

turbovanmanČ
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Tried them actually, nothing they had fit.