PDA

View Full Version : '98 Intrepid tranny issue

Directconnection
08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Took my beater '98 Intrepid in to the garage today to see if it's worth putting some $ into to get a sticker as a 2nd car.

It's had this nasty clunk every time I go slow over bumps with the wheels turned, and has gotten severe just before I parked it 2 months ago. Last year, I had them inspect the noise to no avail (summed it up to bad swaybar bushings) so I had them do the same today as it's way worse now. I jacked it up 2 months back and ball joints, inner and outer tie rod/ends are all good as was wheel bearings, but it sounds nasty. We found the issue: passenger side axle was slopping all around as we saw that the bearing inside the tranny was totally wiped out. The CV was going side to side/up down like a 1/2" How much difficulty is it replacing that bearing? There's a short extension housing sort of piece where the seal is, but am hoping the tranny doesn't need to be pulled in order to service this.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Sell it!!

Just kidding, I honestly don't know but did you check the subframe bushings? They are famous for rotting, even so much that PB makes them.

Vigo
08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Yup, sounds like another worthless 2g intrepid at this point. For anyone but a mechanic to fix that they would have to pay someone in the neighborhood of 1-2k. Even for a mechanic, i dont think it would be justifiable to fix it vs a jyard tranny swap unless you planned to drive it another 50k.

RattFink
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
+1 A jy tranny swap is in order.

shackwrrr
08-21-2012, 10:45 PM
It has the male splines sticking out of the trans and the cv shaft goes over that, are you sure that its loose in the transmission or is the axle loose on the stub shaft.

The passenger side is the side where the differential is so that little stub shaft is very short and goes directly into the differential. That cover you look at there is the Differential side bearing adjuster, you can remove it but you have to match mark it so you get side bearing preload right going back together. The drivers side is where there is a bearing that supports the shaft at the end.

I would say that the CV is the issue and the splines are just loose.

Directconnection
08-21-2012, 11:20 PM
It has the male splines sticking out of the trans and the cv shaft goes over that, are you sure that its loose in the transmission or is the axle loose on the stub shaft.

The passenger side is the side where the differential is so that little stub shaft is very short and goes directly into the differential. That cover you look at there is the Differential side bearing adjuster, you can remove it but you have to match mark it so you get side bearing preload right going back together. The drivers side is where there is a bearing that supports the shaft at the end.

I would say that the CV is the issue and the splines are just loose. Hmmm... I'll have to take a look sometime in the next week or two, but hope this is the case! Thanx.

onerippinturbo2
09-01-2012, 09:34 PM
sway bar links bad?? they seem to be on every car i pull into my shop with clunking noises.

black86glhs
09-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Steve you find out if the trans is crap or if the axle shaft went bad yet?