View Full Version : Turbos/Intercoolers: 2 VNT turbo's

Shadow
08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Date: 20th August 2012
Username: Shadow
Full Name:Robert Mclellan
City, State, Zip:Aubigny, MB, R0G0C0, Canada
Price: 200.00 + shipping OBO

Description: I've had these for over 10 years. Had them dissassembled by the local Garrett turbo shop and was trying to figure a way to run larger comp housing and wheel (at the time) for the twin turbo.

One looks like it was all cleaned, inspected and starting to go back together, the other looks like it was just disssassembled.

I can only see 1 single broken bolt in the non-cleaned exhaust housing. (you can see in the pic it's one of the small three)

Looks like everything is still there except 1 exhaust housing seems to be missing. (I may still dig it up as I'm going through lots of stuff)

I can email more pics of whatever detail you would like or post it right here.

The above details are not optional. This is to protect buyers... just put yourself in their shoes.

Shadow
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
First post wouldn't let me edit pic? Here ya go.

88C/S
08-21-2012, 12:47 AM
I assume a larger compressor housing needs to be a Garrett?

zin
08-21-2012, 01:11 AM
There was/is someone on eBay selling a conversion backing plate for the compressor side, it stepped it up to a T3. I don't know of anything for the hot side

Shadow
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
I think the "hot ticket" for these is the VNT S60 upgrade?(largest you can go for whatever reason, hot side restriction?)

Although I haven't heard any real feedback on how well they work.

zin
08-21-2012, 04:29 PM
The hot side is definately a problem at higher HP levels, just not enough room for exhaust to "get out", but an external gate would fix that easily enough, the biggest cork in the system to me has always been the tiny compressor, it was too small from the factory, but with the upgrade, it might be a player, especially in a road race/solo kind of event due to the lack of lag... Still, it might even support a custom T25 to T3 to T4 adapter! :lol::p

As small as the shaft is though, I'm not sure what the possibilities would be, and in all likely hood, bigger HP would be better served-up by a more conventional turbo... I just like the idea of the VNT, even though it has its practical limitations.

Mike

Vigo
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
The shaft size is the same as the t3 and t4. You can stick t3 and t4 compressor wheels on the VNT shaft.

I managed to find a t04b compressor side conversion for an unfinished project of mine (that will include an external gate). I have seen the t3 conversions too.

I think the s60 is the 'hot ticket' (i would say more like happy medium) because the t3 s60 wheel adds at least 100hp of compressor side without totally overshooting the flow capability of the turbine side. FWD dyno'd one of their personal vehicles up to ~270whp with that setup.

I wanted an even bigger compressor side for mine to hopefully find out if the turbine side can support even more than that. If i ever finish it im sure ill post all about it.

But yes, the VNT can be modified to support more power! Good luck with the sale!

zin
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I was thinking the T4 compressor would have the potential to move lots of lb/hr, with lower heat, but not being familiar with the offerings out there, I'm not sure if that would be practical. Seems like the the VNT would be ideal to spool a big wheel (how big IS the $10K question), if the back pressure can be controlled, which the external gate should do.

Mike

Shadow
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Seems like the the VNT would be ideal to spool a big wheel (how big IS the $10K question)

Mike

Well, if you buy these parts for 200.00 I'm going to say You could answer that Q for less than $10,000! lol ;)

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Good luck with the sale!

Thanks bro!

zin
08-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I'm broke, though I am tempted... at least the tech discussion brings it TTT... Folks can't help but see the ad!

Mike

Vigo
08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, if you buy these parts for 200.00 I'm going to say You could answer that Q for less than $10,000!

LOL! Well played!

Shadow
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for keeping this going guys! I know someone is looking for this stuff, Stock-pile, Stock-pile!

Shadow
09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Mmmmmm.........VNT's!!!!!!!