PDA

View Full Version : TIII T3 rods

tompo
08-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Will my stock T3 rods hold 400hp at the wheels.

Pat
08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, with good bolts. Be careful though. At that power level, depending on the rpm you're spinning, any signficant detonation can lead to a bent rod. My T-III Shadow bent a rod when it detonated a bit ad blew the headgasket on a 10.7x pass. When I pulled it apart, I found one of the pistons was down a bit further in the hole than the others. Disassembled the shortblock and found a bent rod.

Turbo3Iroc
08-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes any little error in tuning will cost you at that point. I learned the hard way also. Best to put good rods in if you plan on making that kind of power.

Lotashelbys
08-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Ya Pat is right a little too much detonation will bend a rod instantly. I bent 2 of them myself from detonation that was my own stupidity. Also if that rods have known factory bolts in them are are a better alloy than the factory TII and 2.5TI stuff. We tested them a few years back and they have the same tensile strength the standard ARPs. I have ran a motor to 430-450WHP range for 2 years with stock rods and they lived but I made sure it had a new Mopar knock sensor and if I ever heard any I would back out ASAP. I have since then built another motor with H-beams just to feel better about it.

tompo
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.what would you guys consider a good rod for that type of HP that wouldn't break the bank.

glhs727
08-20-2012, 07:44 PM
The custom made BC rods will only set you back about $450 a set. That's what Jackson, Rick D. and I all use in our R/T's.

tompo
08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
are those BC rods something that FWD can get and are they complete with arp's.I was lucky that the rusted out donor car I bought came with Vinolia pistons in it and they look great but I don't know if they are set-up with the larger .912 pins if they are can the rods be set-up for these.Thanks for all the help as you can tell this is my first 4cyl build.

glhs727
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
yes, we have them in stock and they come with the arp 2000 bolts. We have both .901 and .912's

boost geek
08-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes any little error in tuning will cost you at that point. I learned the hard way also. Best to put good rods in if you plan on making that kind of power.If you can swing it buy good rods nine are holding about 400 hp tp the wheels with ARP wave locksI/m rolling the dice every time I beat on it

Turbo3Iroc
08-21-2012, 12:27 AM
The custom made BC rods will only set you back about $450 a set. That's what Jackson, Rick D. and I all use in our R/T's.

I have them in my motor also.

If you can swing it buy good rods nine are holding about 400 hp tp the wheels with ARP wave locksI/m rolling the dice every time I beat on it

See above.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2012, 12:49 AM
yes, we have them in stock and they come with the arp 2000 bolts. We have both .901 and .912's

What do you do about Venolia's .921" pin?

I have them in my motor also.

See above.

He means he's broke.

Turbo3Iroc
08-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Didn't understand why he quoted me.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Didn't understand why he quoted me.

He probably misquoted, remember he's got a messed up left side.

Turbo3Iroc
08-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Ahh right, no problem.

Millerman340
08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
can you hone the factory Mahle pistons for the 912 pin?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Nope, you'll end up removing enough material so the circlip won't have any thing left to keep it in place, then you'll need to remachine that.

zin
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
What's the stock dia? My gut says probably not, but if it isn't more than a few thousands, probably... will have more to do with how much the supporting structure in the piston is weakened, and that will have a lot to do with how much HP you plan on making.

Mike

Pat
08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't.

zin
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't.

That would settle it for me!

Mike

Pat
08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
That would settle it for me!

Mike

Wish my kids took my statements so seriously! LOL!

zin
08-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Easy to be swayed when you're already 9/10 of the way there! Just one valued opinion away from a decision, you tipped the scale quite handily!:thumb:

Mike

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
So facts didn't mean a thing? :confused:

zin
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
The thoughts, based on the facts as I know them, in my head had me leaning in that direction strongly, so an educated/valued opinion was all it took to push me to one side... kind of the straw that breaks the camel's back...

As usual, facts matter the most, but informed opinions matter too! (especially in the absence of definitive data).

Mike

turbovanmanČ
08-23-2012, 09:11 PM
The thoughts, based on the facts as I know them, in my head had me leaning in that direction strongly, so an educated/valued opinion was all it took to push me to one side... kind of the straw that breaks the camel's back...

As usual, facts matter the most, but informed opinions matter too! (especially in the absence of definitive data).

Mike

Circlip groove too small to retain the clip yet facts are absent? :confused:

Carry on.

zin
08-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure I'm following you there... If you mean they wouldn't be correct after the honing, I was only to ASSume that if the pin boss was mod'd to fit the new pin, the grooves would be machined to work with the new clips/pins...

Of course this is another reason to not do this mod, the expense to do it in a way that could actually work saves very little money and produces an inferior product... One that likely wouldn't hold the power the OP is shooting for so...

I'm really wondering why we are having this conversation in the first place... we aren't in disagreement!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Not sure I'm following you there... If you mean they wouldn't be correct after the honing, I was only to ASSume that if the pin boss was mod'd to fit the new pin, the grooves would be machined to work with the new clips/pins...

Of course this is another reason to not do this mod, the expense to do it in a way that could actually work saves very little money and produces an inferior product... One that likely wouldn't hold the power the OP is shooting for so...

I'm really wondering why we are having this conversation in the first place... we aren't in disagreement!

Mike

I am poking at you as I stated some facts and you weren't swayed, then Pat says he wouldn't do it and your like, that settles it then, I wouldn't do it. :p

I never said modify the circlip groove and I sure wouldn't recommend it. Where's Pat to say it too, :eyebrows:

Pat
08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
I am poking at you as I stated some facts and you weren't swayed, then Pat says he wouldn't do it and your like, that settles it then, I wouldn't do it. :p

I never said modify the circlip groove and I sure wouldn't recommend it. Where's Pat to say it too, :eyebrows:

Don't modify the circlip groove and I sure wouldn't recommend it.

:D:D:D

turbovanmanČ
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Don't modify the circlip groove and I sure wouldn't recommend it.

:D:D:D

LMAO, :p:p:p:p

zin
08-24-2012, 05:17 PM
There I go... Hook, Line, and Sinker!:p

Mike