PDA

View Full Version : violent hesitation

spaceman
08-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Well i have posted on td and the members have added there 2¢ so i figured i would post here to get a general idea of what could be wrong . The car is a 1994 dodge shadow 5spd converted from an auto. I bought the correct harness and computer to complete the swap . Alll was fine till i didnt tie up the harness buy the alt get cut threw the harness .fixed that, then the blower motor resistor blew out ,fixed that and then the car sat for a bit befor puting back on the road .fast foward to present and what i have is a miss ,hesitation ,not sure what you call it but it happens like 2500-3000 rpm and it feels like i have it floored and its bouncing on the rev limiter . I also was driving it the other day and it seemes like it also loses power cause the cel flickers but no codes.it does both at the same time. Now i have a new fuel filter (old one looks crusty)and i know the plugs,wires,cap ,rotor and goodcause i changed them not to long ago .coil looks old and i dont know if it will do what i have going on but ill prob chang it too.i also need a drive belt and that will get changed as well.nothing was added to this car besides a tach and nothing is rigged up .here is http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f69/382712-weird-hickup-3000rpm.html my post from td if some one cares to read it on vaca starting monday and plan to tear into this thing then might even pull the harness and go over it .any help would be great maybe some has had this happen to them as well .also would like to add that the gauges arw floppy and theres oil coming out of my speed sensor that will be replaced also.just need this to run for a bit untill i find an unmalested srt4 . Thanks scott

Khajjathefang
08-18-2012, 08:03 AM
What auto? Have you checked the vacuum harness leading up to the map?

spaceman
08-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Car is a 5 spd it was an auto . I had a chance to mess with it this morning ,and i decided to just to pull on the harness and everything i pulled on was and looked ok till i got to the coolant temp/map sensor it died .i was like yes i found it and dam it died .the map sensor was loose on the bracket and the plug was loose . I made it happen three times .unbolted it and and tapped the plug tightly in the sensor and drove the ---- out of it and it didnt happen once ,even when it normally happened.what i think was the problem was that little rubber band thats on the plug was gone and it was wiggling in the sensor .took one off the old harness i had and it seems to be good to go .now i can turn my attention to the gauges .there all floppy and work when they want .gueas i have to find all the grounds ? If i hit the dash the move to normal funtion .any ideas on this ?

cordes
08-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I would pull the cluster and inspect the connections first.

spaceman
08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Ya thats what im gunna do first .i have another one but that one was floppy too. That makes me think that it might be the plug from th harness .?i got a dash from a guy on thd other form from his parted running car.two difernt ones doin the same thing? Ill have to look in to it .thanks cordes

cordes
08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
If multiple clusters are doing exactly the same thing I would lean toward the wiring. However, you may not need to go very far back into the harness to find the problem. It could be a corroded or loose connector at the board etc.

spaceman
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Well pulled the cluster and it all checked out fine ,put it back it and turned to the grounds by the kick paneles and they were fine too. The engine ground straps are all there but there that shitty braided ones .and dont look all that great .can i swap them out for say a 4gauge wire or should i find newer ones at the yard like that . I also changed the ground terminal on the battery .gauges look ok tack is still a little floppy but not reall noticeable .also cked the connection at the computer and looked good ,still had white grease in there ( die electric?) now im not sure how to use a mulimeter but i put it on the batter set it on dcv 20 and i get 13.59 while its running ,nothing on.turn car off and the reading dropps to 12.50. The battery did die a few weeks ago and had to jump it cause i didnt drive cause of the hesitation ,think the battery is shot .it starts up fine .what you guys think .

cordes
08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
The battery sounds fine to me. You can make your own grounds or use new ones from the store.

spaceman
08-21-2012, 07:19 PM
ya i am gunna make my own cause i have a place that sells all trucking and bus ---- , and i like doing things myself . i gotta find out how to use a multi meter cause i have no idea thanks to all that helped

shackwrrr
08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Battery sounds iffy, fresh fully charged battery at rest should read 12.6, right after shutdown it should read over that due to a surface charge(around 12.8 ir so). If you turn your headlights on the battery should only drop a couple tenths (no less than 11v), after running headlights for 10 sec or so turn them off and battery should bounce back to 12.6 fairly fast.

spaceman
08-22-2012, 12:17 AM
It drops down but comes back up .im not sure what exactly the numbers were .i probally should relay the hids and that might help with the votage drop , you think? Im just happy that i can drive it whith out anthing happening .gunna go get some wire and ends to make my grounds thursday .how many should i put on .or should i just replace the ones that are on the motor .

cordes
08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
There was originally a ground from the intake to the firewall, one from the frame to pass side motor mount as far as the crappy ones go.

From what I've read the HIDs pull less amps than the regular bulbs. However I'm a big fan of relaying my headlights so that's not a bad idea at all.

spaceman
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
well jiggled every thing under the hood and nothing , till i got to the map! it almost died but came back . .the little rubber gromet that goes around the plug was gone. i ziptied the plug in tighter and what do you know , no problems and it got its balls back, took it down the road and its like it was a fresh motor running perfect . pulled the old harness and it had a rubber thing on there so i swapped it in . i also cleaned all grounds and redid all of them and changed the neg batt terminal .all is good and i thank all that have helped me out in time of need

scott

cordes
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Glad you got that fixed. It always feels good to track down a tough problem.