PDA

View Full Version : TIII T3, snap crackle pop but no start

drewboy404
08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Lets start off with :(. I am having problems with starting my R/T. Lets start out with the things that are current:

-No codes except, for 53 due to a cal. Had computer changed out cause original didn't fire, got this one off a working car

-cam sensor came off of a working car with paper spacer still on and touching cam gear

-pulled crank sensor, no damage, doesnt have a spacer between tranny case and sensor base.

- check all wires and found no opens

-fuel pump primes, 55psi.

-pulls 18" vacuum when fires and idles for 3 sec

-t-3 double diaphragm pressure plate with four puck clutch, fidanza flywheel, pressure plate does not rise higher than the flywheel notches

So these are the things i have gathered. I am going through my t3 diagnostic book but do not have a otc scanner available.

I go to start the car, the fuel pump primes, hold 55 psi then will fire rev to 2000 rpms and die off. If i use starting fluid the car will run for about 3 seconds plus 2 sec minus 0. When i check the plugs they are gapped at .035 and are wet with fuel. fuel is good. I have checked my timing over and over again seems to be spot on with the adjustable cams at 0 degress, pins pointing at eachother locked in the head and cylinder one at TDC.

I havent checked compression yet, but if i keep trying to run the engine i imagine i will warm it up enought to perform this. The other thing is i am going to check my ignition coil.

I greatly appreciate it

roachjuice
08-13-2012, 05:52 PM
You have any plug wires swapped around?

drewboy404
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I have double checked that, i had to spin my coil 90 degrees to fit since i have a custom intake manifold, i think i am going to get another coil and find out how to check the crank position sensor

drewboy404
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Here is something interesting that i found. The ignition coil from wells 939 seems to have a different firing order? In accordance with the schematic:http://www.wellsve.com/custom_searches/pdf/ignition_coil_sheets/wells/W25.pdf. If you look in the drawing for the T3 factory books:http://i.pbase.com/o4/24/16624/1/62689003.UZR0olSU.PlugWireOrder.jpg

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2012, 01:34 PM
It dies and runs for 3 secs? Sounds like it has a factory alarm activated, I've gone thru this and so has another member, its built into the computer, Shelgame is figuring out how to bypass it otherwise you'll need another computer.

As for the firing order on the coil, you follow the factory way, not anyone else.

drewboy404
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Well that is a kick in the butt:mad:. Funny thing is my car did not come with an alarm, but my old ecu had kicked the bucket so i got a new one from FWD. I didnt even ask where the computer came from. These engines are them most finicky engines that i have ever dealt with. Well the computer systems anyways.

drewboy404
08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I had a friend turned over the motor for a few seconds and checked a spark plug against a ground, sparked like crazy. I pulled off the fuel line to the fuel rail and during the prime a shot of gas went into a beer bottle, then i had him crank the engine, the beer bottle filled up in 2 or 3 sec. There seems to be gas on the spark plug. Maybe i am running too rich and it is fouling the spark? I have +40% injectors, i think i am going to run the stockers and see if that helps. One other thing is the fuel pressure falls off when cranking the engine then ramps back up after a second.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM
IF the cal is set up for +40\s, you have to run them.

Is the 3 bar MAP installed?

drewboy404
08-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I have the 3 bar map sensor installed. Wired up, i think correctly. I did try unplugging it to see if that helped but the same thing happened. I have been reading through the powertrain manual to help but i dont have a drb2. ​ think i may try and replace the ais, tps just to try it