PDA

View Full Version : TIII Questions in preparation.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Instead of posting in random spots, I am going to post all the questions that I cannot find answers to here. I want to have a plan and know what I need to get it accomplished, before the car is in my possession. I will also be asking for opinions.

The car still has the original timing belt on it but since the car only has 75k miles on it, and its non-interference engine, I am not too worried about that. But the guy that is selling it too me seems to like preventative maintenance, he said he has a Gates belt and everything needed to change it. I will be changing the timing belt, doing new plugs and wires....... basically an entire tune up.

Once that is done, I want to start upgrades. The car already has a 3" magnaflow exhaust system (after reading several build threads this should be big enough for anything I will ever do)

First thing will be relocating the battery to the trunk (mostly because I think batteries are ugly and I don't want to look at it, also to make room)

Next thing will be FMIC, nothing huge but something rated for around 300hp as that is my goal. Along with the FMIC I am going to do piping to intake side of turbo along with filter.

After that I will be doing small things like poly mounts and bushings, shift bushings, and some of the other little odds and ends that I have been reading about. I will also be trying to hide wires and vacuum hoses in the engine bay to make everything look clean.

Also somewhere in here I am going to pick up an AEM UEGO wideband and some various other gauges.

Lastly, I am thinking about some neon srt4 wheels with spacers to widen the stance a hair

Now for the questions.

With upgraded intake and exhaust will it be necessary for a tune? Or can the factory ecu adjust for that little of a change?

Has anyone anodized their intercooler or piping? I don't like chrome/shiny things and absolutely love the look of anodized aluminum. Most likely black and/or red. I just havent been able to find any info on weather or not the anodizing process would damage my intercooler or if it holds in unwanted heat. I am wanting to maintain somewhat of a sleeper look so this is partly to make the I/C not so obvious.

Lemme know what you all think, and gimme any suggestions. My goal is not 300hp right away. It will be a slow process.

RJ138
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
75k on the original timing belt, not bad! Check the top of the transmission near the back of the head for coolant also pull plug number three and look for white/chalky residue on the plug nut and plug hole. If you can pull the valve covers check the cams, rockers, and lifters for wear, pitting, and missing pieces.

Not necessary for a tune as long as the boost is appropriate (13-14 psi). I would go to a 3 bar and +40 tune in there somewhere especially if you want to make power on the stock turbo. To get 300 whp out of the stock turbo will be tough, it runs out of steam in the upper RPMs and you get to a point were its beyond its efficiency. I am not sure about anodizing intercoolers or intercooler piping, its probably very expensive. I would bet some of the import guys have either looked into or have done it.

Directconnection
08-10-2012, 10:40 AM
300whp on the stock turbo isn't going to be easy and maybe not even doable. One guy I know did it, but everything was maxed (and a perfect situation) and with the turbo totally maxed like that, it typically won't last too long.

Relocating the battery to the rear will hurt performance. These FWD cars already suck badly at launching (ie: 60 fts) and putting the heavy battery in the rear will only make things worse. Adding in the fact that you have a goal of 300whp (which is easily attainable with the right combo) will mean that your typical N/A modded ricer will put a hurting on you until you get into 3rd gear, and that's not fun.

Tucking wires/sensors looks cool for some (mini-trucks) but sometimes it's nice to have things easily accessible when problems arise.

Biggest concern you need to be aware of is proper timing belt tension and also... (mainly) oil pump failure issues that will take out the entire motor if not shut down immediately. 99% of these T-III motors suffer from this... I have 3 out of my 4 that had this happen. One at 76,000 and the others at 120,000. Talk to Jackson, as he came up with a simple solution to help alleviate the cause... or most of the issue.

Now for the good stuff and enough with the Debbie Down $hit.

Welcome to the forum! (I see you only have like 13 posts)

300whp will be easy if you listen to a few of the T-III guys that have been there/done that already.

I think they'd suggest this SIMPLE recipe:

3" mandrel exhaust w/good muffler and cat delete if possible
T3/T4 50 trim/S2 or possibly even a smaller turbo choice (46?)
+40 injectors
3 bar map
FWD-P stage3 or whatever cal
Possibly a clutch upgrade... but the stock T-III clutch is pretty decent up to that point.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys.

I never intended to make 300 on stock turbo, and one of the reasons for relocating the battery is because I want to build an aluminum filter housing box in that corner. I thought with air coming in around headlight it would help lower intake temps and keep large debris from getting near my filter.

I have read about checking for the coolant back near trans and about pulling the valve covers. What I don't remember seeing is anything about pulling the #3 plug. That will definitely happen.

I have already been looking at a t3/t04e ar64???? i think. Its a garrett $300 (<--is that fair if it spins freely and has no shaft play) it's also externally wastegated. So when I eventually upgrade turbo, I will be doing mani too. (gimme some opinions here)

The car as stated, already has a 3" turbo back magnaflow exhaust system. The guy said it cost $800 just for the system and $300 to get it put on. I would hope that for that amount it is mandrel bent.

As for the anodizing, I have connections that will make this a little cheaper.

Also ironically I read the entire thread that Jackson made about that extra idler. Very good ----. That will be done also.

I also read about the "powers switch" and was not aware that these engines suffered from this oil loss thing, I may look in to doing that switch. On the ignition source of course. Not the fuel, lol.

Keep the info coming guys. Thanks again

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
$1100 for exhaust, damn, he saw you coming. Go visit www.turbosunleashed.com or www.fwdperformance.com for mandrel bent exhaust.

You need a T3/T4 turbo with a T3 flange, then you'll have to get a braided kit-oil and coolant lines from the above vendors, and fab up a DP, that's been covered in many threads. I would got 50 trim stage II, S50's aren't a good match and 60 trims will surge.

You should check the cams and install the Ti valve spring retainers or modded stockers, upgrade the intank pump to a 255, install a boost and wideband gauge.

The stock manifolds are fine until you really start wanting to make power, I will have a reasonably priced header available soon after I test it.

300 whp isn't too hard with a TIII.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
$1100 for exhaust, damn, he saw you coming. Go visit www.turbosunleashed.com (http://www.turbosunleashed.com) or www.fwdperformance.com (http://www.fwdperformance.com) for mandrel bent exhaust.

You need a T3/T4 turbo with a T3 flange, then you'll have to get a braided kit-oil and coolant lines from the above vendors, and fab up a DP, that's been covered in many threads. I would got 50 trim stage II, S50's aren't a good match and 60 trims will surge.

You should check the cams and install the Ti valve spring retainers or modded stockers, upgrade the intank pump to a 255, install a boost and wideband gauge.

The stock manifolds are fine until you really start wanting to make power, I will have a reasonably priced header available soon after I test it.

300 whp isn't too hard with a TIII.

The sale is pending, I have not seen the car. I have only seen pics and talked with him on the phone. I have told him repeatedly that if I find any undisclosed issues what so ever or the car is not exactly what he says it is. I will just keep my money. So we will see. One way or the other, when I get my money in October, I will get picking up a spirit r/t. It will just depend on which one is the best bang for buck.

I didn't really think 300 would be that hard, and from what I have read they can handle much more than that. I will keep track of all these suggestions, I want something that will spool relatively quick, but still be able to hit the mark without being maxxed out.

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh my bad, I thought that's what you were paying, lol.

50 trim turbo listed is one of the best cheapest turbo's for these engines.

Directconnection
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I forgot to mention a good intercooler. Toss out the stocker, but don't skimp on an ebay cooler, either.

As for fuel pump, actually, you might not need it. Jackson has been running on the oem pump on his green R/T for years and making stoopit boost and hp. Now he is running a supplemental fueling aka: alky injection.

I don't think you need to worry about changing the retainers, mainly so if you do Jackson's idler relocation mod.

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I forgot to mention a good intercooler. Toss out the stocker, but don't skimp on an ebay cooler, either.

As for fuel pump, actually, you might not need it. Jackson has been running on the oem pump on his green R/T for years and making stoopit boost and hp. Now he is running a supplemental fueling aka: alky injection.

I don't think you need to worry about changing the retainers, mainly so if you do Jackson's idler relocation mod.

Are you sure he has a stocker? Even so, if this one is original, its a ticking time bomb, replacing it is cheap insurance.

Even with the idler mod, you still need the retainers.

86Shelby
08-11-2012, 12:08 AM
300whp is stupid easy. 325ish whp at 21psi on my car consisted of: stock head, cams & intake, adjustable cam gears, hybrid turbo 50 trim w/ 'E' cover Stg 3 turbine, .63 A/R turbine housing, 3" exhaust, FMIC, 3 bar calibration and +40 injectors.

I'm hoping to max out the fuel system this fall once I dial in the stg 1 cams, ported head and shortrunner-big plenum intake I recently installed.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Yay, knowledge. Keep it coming and keep pointing me in the right direction

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I know the 2 don't go hand in hand but what kind of mpg did you see pushing 21psi?

86Shelby
08-11-2012, 05:43 AM
22-24 in town, 27-30 highway. I behave pretty well most days that I drive it which is reflected in the fuel mileage. The trip meter always read 0 while at WOT 21psi, so the mileage during those fun moments were pretty crappy.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I know the 2 don't go hand in hand but what kind of mpg did you see pushing 21psi?

Gas mileage and boost, that doesn't exist, :eyebrows: so if you keep your foot out of it, they do pretty well, mid 20's to 30's.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-11-2012, 01:41 PM
my understanding was that turbos make a car more efficient up to a certain point, then its all downhill. Even if it's only averaging mid 20's that is okay with me. That's about what my e36 325i was getting.

Anyways

Has anyone experimented with single pass intercoolers. Just wondering if anyone routed the charge pipe from turbo to passenger side and down in to the intercooler. Just wondering if there is a good way to do that or not.

The only other idea that I can think of is a custom intake manifold with the TB on the other side. These are just thoughts for the future. I don't ever intend to do anything that experimental with this car as I really want it to last.

1st_Turbo_Car
08-23-2012, 12:16 AM
So

The guy that said that he would hold the spirit till I got the money, is now starting to flake on me. I don't really blame him, and I am grateful that he attempted to work with me. If he does back out my plans are going an entire different direction. I don't know that I will post here unless there are people interested, because it will not be a TM. I will be getting the wife a newer minivan, with stow and go seating and full entertainment system. We had one like that before but my brother totalled it. And I will be taking over our current minivan a 2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD

If things end up going with plan B, I will be purchasing a wheel/tire combo when taxes come in, and getting exhaust and intake done as well. Other than that, a kick --- stereo system and some cleaning will be about it.

Kicking around the idea of a very small fogger system.... Like 35hp (anyone tried small shots of NOS on stock engines?)

Just brainstorming guys, don't flame me too hard

1st_Turbo_Car
08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Okay I am sure that you are tired of me talking and talking and talking, with nothing real to post.

Well, I found out a week ago that we will have our money no later than the 18th of september, I contacted the guy with the car, by text. With no response. Then this morning I finally called and left him a message and HE CALLED ME BACK!!!!

Last time we talked there was no definite date of when I would have my money and so he was just going to take it off the market and have his son drive it to their new home in colorado. But when I text him a week ago he decided that he would continue to hold the car till I had the money and a chance to go look at it. SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In the next 3 weeks I should be the proud owner of a spirit r/t

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RJ138
08-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Okay I am sure that you are tired of me talking and talking and talking, with nothing real to post.

Well, I found out a week ago that we will have our money no later than the 18th of september, I contacted the guy with the car, by text. With no response. Then this morning I finally called and left him a message and HE CALLED ME BACK!!!!

Last time we talked there was no definite date of when I would have my money and so he was just going to take it off the market and have his son drive it to their new home in colorado. But when I text him a week ago he decided that he would continue to hold the car till I had the money and a chance to go look at it. SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In the next 3 weeks I should be the proud owner of a spirit r/t

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Eeek! You haven't seen the car yet? Hopefully its a smoking deal. They are extremely fun cars but can quickly turn into excellent dust collectors...

There is a lot of knowledge here so stick around and don't hesitate to search or ask questions, that's what these forums are for.

What year and color is it?

1st_Turbo_Car
08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
I've seen pics, he said the only mechanical issues were a/c compressor quit working a few months ago, and the tach quit working. he says he just got pissed off when it got caught out in a hail storm and got the ---- beat out of it. he says he lost motivation after that.

He told me to feel free to do a thorough inspection of whatever I want. Or take it to a 3rd party shop for Pre-Purchase Inspection.

I am not really big on appearance, I love that it is a total sleeper. And I want something turbo to play with. I have all this knowledge of things from reading everything that I can get my hands on. I want a chance to get hands on experience.

tsiconquest88
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
What happened with this? Did you see it yet? Buy it?

1st_Turbo_Car
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Still waiting for the money to hit the bank, the anticipation is killing me. The latest that we will receive our money is the 18th, so by the end of this month the car will be mine or I will have decided against it. But I can tell you, the only thing that will make me not buy this car is some kind of major mechanical/electrical issue, that I was not told about.

I may try to lowball, if its not quite as nice as he says. But I still want the car. I don't view vehicles as perfection ever, any car that I have ever owned was not perfect, because it had to be modified to "fit me"

I view a spirit rt, especially as clean as this one is supposed to be, with as few miles, as an amazing platform to build on.

1st_Turbo_Car
09-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I HAVE THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately we are out of town attending the funeral of my mother-in-law so things are a little chaotic. We will be back home tomorrow evening at which point I will call and make contact with the owner and set it up to go look at the car Saturday morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st_Turbo_Car
09-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Sad day.

I have been attempting to contact the owner of the spirit(who has kept in contact with me for almost 2 months) for the last 3 days. The phone won't even ring, goes straight to voicemail and he hasn't returned any of my calls. I give up.

On the up side, I did score one hell of a deal on a very sweet e36 325i. As soon as I have it in my possession I will post pics. I really have grown to love this place pretty quickly. The people and support here is amazing.

I want to thank everyone. And keep up the awesome work and info