PDA

View Full Version : TIII Spirit R/T TIII info needed

ajakeski
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm looking at possibly buying a Spirit R/T with just under 100,000 miles.
The body is clean and straight. It's supposed to be mechanically sound, and the engine basically stock and not beaten.
I've read what I could find here about what to look for when buying a TIII car and I'm expecting ownership of a TIII to involve a lot of time spent under the hood.

Here's my big question... what's involved in swapping out the TII for a TIII engine when and if the TIII craps out? I have a built TII sitting on a stand looking for a home.

I'm not planning on building this into a race car; stock, but somewhat more durable and reliable would be my goal.

mratliff86
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Not necessarily, if you perform the proper upgrades you can achieve quite good reliability. I have been driving mine for over a year, and the only thing that has gone out is the turbo, knock on wood. The only time I have been under the hood of mine is performing upgrades.

Needed items:
Titanium retainers
Cometic head gasket
Jackson idler modification

Kryp2nitE
08-09-2012, 09:13 AM
It is good to order upgrades/replacement parts pretty far in advance of when you want/need them. They take a while to get in since few places carry them.

91dodgespiritrt
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
"I've read what I could find here about what to look for when buying a TIII car and I'm expecting ownership of a TIII to involve a lot of time spent under the hood."

I've had my RT since 2004, and it hardly ever needs anything. If anything my GLH requirements most of my attention and it isn't a turbo.
Change oil - and maybe just replace the timing belt with a Mopar or Gates belt and keep the T3. Don't abuse it.

Mike

mratliff86
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Good call on the above two posts, make sure you order in time and get the Gates belt. I also did ARP head studs on mine, also make sure that the head plugs get changed out with aluminum.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Putting a TII wouldn't be that hard, you'd need to move/extend some wires and find the same year as your car turbo SBEC, that would be the hardest part.

As for reliability, I've beaten on mine for years and the only reason it broke was me. If the head is fine, inspect the cams and rockers, and replace the timing belt.

ajakeski
08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
A Shelby Lancer would be better. I have feeling one will pop up as soon as I pull the trigger on this R/T...