PDA

View Full Version : Conditions for Neon converter lockup

cordes
07-31-2012, 07:18 PM
What are the conditions for the converter to lock up in a Neon? I think I have fixed the short in my wiring harness, but I'm afraid that I have a bad speed distance sensor in there to boot. It jumps erratically and when driving at about 25-30mph the converter will lock and unlock at will.

I'm thinking about replacing the vehicle speed sensor and going from there.

Thoughts?

RoadWarrior222
07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Something like 40mph from VSS, in vacuum from MAP with low TPS value/throttle angle. So yeah, VSS getting in extra pulses somehow would mess with it, unless your VSS gear is way off or you put tiny tires on it.... but then you'd see a different indicated speed too....

So is your speedo needle going nuts too?

Just wondering if any neon dash bad connection issues and flakiness could backfeed though... but think it don't take it's signal direct but from SBEC, which one would think would be buffered.

cordes
07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
The speedo flutters all over the place. I know I had some bad wiring which was causing an actual cutout before as it was losing crank position signal. Now it's just locking and unlocking the converter and the speedo is bouncing around. I thought there was an MPH requirement so the bad sensor signal combined with those other parameters could cause converter issues. I now think this may be the case.

RoadWarrior222
07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah if the speedo is jumping and jiving then VSS seems most likely.

ShelGame
08-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Ack! Spam! Get it off, get it off!

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, there is a MPH condition so if you the speedo is caused by a bad VSS it will mess with the LU.