PDA

View Full Version : TIII Holset Boost Control / Tuning issues

Dr.Evil
07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
What is everyone using for boost control on their Holset set-ups? (I have an HE351 in there) I have tried a couple different things, and can't get anything to work. Car runs fine at the stock WG spring pressure of 15-17PSI. I recently installed one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNT-10402-25/ and with it turned all the way down (should be straight through), I can't get it to boost anything less than 30+. I want to run a max of 25-26 and tune for that. Maybe the stock internal WG is to blame? I am using a 7.3 powerstroke WG actuator as it seems to have more throw than the stock cummins/holset unit. I know an external WG is the way to go, but I want the car to be running as good as possible for the rest of the summer. Hot August Nights is coming up, looking forward to beating on some muscle cars with the R/T. :thumb:
Oh and what are you holset guys using for tuning? I have a stage IV in there from FWD, and am not very happy with it. It has a cruising RPM miss that is pretty annoying. Under boost its marginal, cuts out now and then even at 15-17PSI. I have an alky kit on it to help with the high RPM lean condiiton I was seeing, and A/F under full boost is around 11.5-12.0 / 1 up to redline. FP is set to around 46 static. Plugs look good, new aurora wires, MSD SRT4 coil, MSD ignition. I have a CE light for the miss that comes and goes. I noticed with the alky display, the DC of the injectors varies from say 12% to 90% with almost no throttle. Is that normal? I've never looked a real time injector DCs before, so am not sure on that. Injectors are +40's. Any ideas?

RJ138
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
What is everyone using for boost control on their Holset set-ups? (I have an HE351 in there) I have tried a couple different things, and can't get anything to work. Car runs fine at the stock WG spring pressure of 15-17PSI. I recently installed one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNT-10402-25/ and with it turned all the way down (should be straight through), I can't get it to boost anything less than 30+. I want to run a max of 25-26 and tune for that. Maybe the stock internal WG is to blame? I am using a 7.3 powerstroke WG actuator as it seems to have more throw than the stock cummins/holset unit. I know an external WG is the way to go, but I want the car to be running as good as possible for the rest of the summer. Hot August Nights is coming up, looking forward to beating on some muscle cars with the R/T. :thumb:
Oh and what are you holset guys using for tuning? I have a stage IV in there from FWD, and am not very happy with it. It has a cruising RPM miss that is pretty annoying. Under boost its marginal, cuts out now and then even at 15-17PSI. I have an alky kit on it to help with the high RPM lean condiiton I was seeing, and A/F under full boost is around 11.5-12.0 / 1 up to redline. FP is set to around 46 static. Plugs look good, new aurora wires, MSD SRT4 coil, MSD ignition. I have a CE light for the miss that comes and goes. I noticed with the alky display, the DC of the injectors varies from say 12% to 90% with almost no throttle. Is that normal? I've never looked a real time injector DCs before, so am not sure on that. Injectors are +40's. Any ideas?

Have you tried cranking that boost controller the other way? Its obviously not opening or its stuck. I used a boost controller similar to that years ago and it didn't work very well, hard to control boost with it and I had a lot of over boost issues. Try loosening the controller until you can hear something rattle, I'm not sure if those have a ball and spring but its worth a try.

I have the same turbo as you. My stock Holset wastegate arm is tightened to 18-20 psi right now with AFR sitting mid 10s and I will be cranking it up with a TurboXS HP boost controller. The controller is installed and is set to not increase boost currently. I have a few issues not related to boost to sort out before I crank it up.

Keito
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Did you drill out the wastegate hole?
There's info about it in Carroll's T3 thread.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?30380-Another-Holset-TIII../page14

Dr.Evil
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes the WG hole was hogged out before it was installed. Does anyone have a pic of how far open a stock WG can / rod pushes the flapper? I noticed that mine doesn't open more than say 1/2".

I will try one of those TurboXS boost controllers and see how it works.

Looking into doing a custom cal as I think that will help tremendously as well. I'm slowly getting this pig dialed in. Hoping for a 12.xx pass by winter :)

speedfreek500
08-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Have you looked into a elec boost controller yet?

I use a greddy profec eo-1, you can set the duty, gain and peak boost and it does all for ya. I did not open the wg hole in he351 either, it holds boost to whatever i set it to. The turbo is off the car rite now but it will be open'd up before it gets put back on. I did use the holset can and drilled the dimple out so i could relieve some of the seat pressure, I think Shadow did not open his wg hole either.

The ebc was not cheap but it does have so many options and a 4 inch screen to view and data log, all controlled by a remote.

Here is a link on ebay for one. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GREDDY-PROFEC-E-01-ELECTRONIC-BOOST-CONTROLLER-E01-B-spec-apexi-ebc-turbo-blitz-/120941285911?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c28a99217

Dr.Evil
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I did use the holset can and drilled the dimple out so i could relieve some of the seat pressure, I think Shadow did not open his wg hole either.

Got any more info on this?

I tried an old AEM truboost and it did not work well at all. That was with the stock turbo though.

I will try an electronic controller if the TurboXS doesn't work. Its nice having summit racing outlet a mile from my shop :)

speedfreek500
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Oops sorry I drilled the dimple on the arm, so I could turn the arm on the the threads to make the arm longer

Dr.Evil
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
gotcha thats what I figured I did that as well.

Going to mess with it this evening, hopefully make some progress.

Where are some common oil leak spots on the front of the motor? Its not the VC's and not the pan. Its got a decent leak that is getting on the serp belt and flinging oil onto the underside of the hood and making a mess. I'm replacing the PS pump this weekend, and would like to fix the oil leak while I'm in there. I just can't see where its coming from.