PDA

View Full Version : Correct axle for hybrid 523/568 trans with obx installed.

tazaroo
07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Just like the title states. My 91 Spirit R/T needs a new axle. I had Cliff Ramsdell redo my 568 trans and install an obx LSD four years ago or so. So far the guy working on the car say he has had two different axles sent that don't fit. He also mentioned something about 18 splines on one side and 13 on the other whatever that means. It's getting frustrating because the car is running great but has been down 6 weeks for this.

I might could try to get up with Cliff again but thought someone here would probably know what axle to get and what if anything needs to be done to make the correct axle work.

Thanks

tryingbe
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
You stock axles should for fine. If it doesn't, take the axle out, turn it by 1 tooth at the transmission side, and insert it. Repeat until the axle fits.

RoadWarrior222
07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Bet they're not sending R/T axles.

Turbo3Iroc
07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
R/T or non-R/T axles shouldn't matter. The OBX is probably causing the interference. The splines on them has a very close tolerance. Some more worn axles will go right in but a new axle may not. Tryingbe made a good point about rotating spline by spline until they line up.

tazaroo
07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
You guys may be right about rotating it. The guy working on it said he was getting new axles instead a remans since they were stronger. He has another coming in this week so I will mention that to him. Hopefully its real simple. The trans and obx are suppose to be fine so it shouldn't be a big deal at least I hope.

I'll ask again for any suggestions if that doesn't seem to work when the next axle comes in.

BadAssPerformance
07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
As said, the stock 91 axles will fit, axtually anything 87-94 from any A,E,G,H,J,K,P body will fit.

The OBX diffs need to have the splined parts aligned properly to go togethe, Part of the function of the bellville washers in there is to keep alignemnt of the two splined inner hubs that the axle slides into.. they need to be centered and concentric to the diff bearings or when the axle slides in and the splines engage, the OD of the shaft (behind the splines) that goes inside the diff bearing snout may not be concentric and thus bind.

turbovanmanČ
07-31-2012, 12:15 AM
You guys may be right about rotating it. The guy working on it said he was getting new axles instead a remans since they were stronger. He has another coming in this week so I will mention that to him. Hopefully its real simple. The trans and obx are suppose to be fine so it shouldn't be a big deal at least I hope.

I'll ask again for any suggestions if that doesn't seem to work when the next axle comes in.

What new axles? Unless your getting driveshaft shop or similiar, the new stock replacement ones are chinese made and garbage, stock used OE shafts are better.

Force Fed Mopar
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
The axles were a tight fit at first in my OBX as well. Now they slide in and out fine.

turboz523
07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
also, I don't know if the obx is the same as the quaiffe, but on the quaiffe in a 555/568 you have to grind the end off the p/s axle to make it fit all the way in.

tazaroo
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
What new axles? Unless your getting driveshaft shop or similiar, the new stock replacement ones are chinese made and garbage, stock used OE shafts are better.

I don't know but the guy working on it has 8 valve td's and use to have a RT. He just said he called somebody after the other two wouldn't fit to give them the exact dimensions and spline count to get the right axle. Hopefully its not Chinese junk.

I thought I better check with you guys if the obx might cause an issue.

RoadWarrior222
08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Well only in that some of them are reportedly practically oval and need to clock the axle every which way until it goes in.