PDA

View Full Version : Lifting a Ram 1500

BoostedDrummer
07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Hey guys,

I recently bought a '97 Ram 1500, 181K on the odo, 360ci, 4x4 for $2500. All stock. Anyways, I've been wanting to put a small 3 inch lift on it to clear some 33" tires with Mickey Thompson rims my dad got in trade for something (don't remember what) awhile back. I don't want to do the exreme lift where it takes a ladder to get into the cab, just something that will give more clearance if I wanted to go out hunting or camping out there in Georgia. No plans to become an offroad idiot or guy who abuses the vehicle to just get mud everywhere. Think its rather pointless, personally.

Got an Uncle (retired USAF) who's been driving diesel Rams since they've been released to the public back in 18xx something or other:p and he warned me about the Uni-bearings that came on all Rams. No way to service them since they're a sealed unit. I was told that with a lift, the increased size tires and height, the uni-bearings are more apt to fail. Reading into the problem, it seems the Dodge Unit bearings were destined to fail either way at some point in the future.

So my question is, should I put the lift on the truck? Its gonna be driving from Texas back to Georgia (about 982 miles) while towing my Omni GLH on a trailer. So, lift and 33's or stock height with stock tires. The 33's arent much bigger than the stockers anyways.

Muchas gracias!:D

Will get pictorials up later tonight when I get back to my room after my shift

Force Fed Mopar
07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
You can do a small body lift and clear the 33's.

bakes
07-28-2012, 01:28 PM
a 4" lift is all you should need to clear 33" .Which is nice combo for towing / hunting any bigger your into alxe gear swap to mantain your driveablity / MPG
your rig should do the work to get you to your spot and the quads to do the dirty work/play.

RoadWarrior222
07-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I would imagine that bearing failures are more likely when mudding/fording due to water penetration... so if trucks don't see mud until the 33's go on, then it would seem like the 33s causing it... probably holds up well enough until the rubber gets hard though, but taller tires can help you push the axle deeper underwater, where pressure might force it's way in. I would also imagine that hosing out the hubs well after every time you play would help keep teh seals from getting ground up or damaged from grit or gravel in the mud.

shackwrrr
07-28-2012, 08:43 PM
You can do a ford knuckle swap. You'll have to search but Dana 53 knuckles off the ttb 3/4 ton trucks fit. They have roller bearings and have dual piston huge brakes.

BoostedDrummer
07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
I had my dad put one of the rims with the 33's that came with them (3 of them are gashed) and it clears for the front and back but it rubs when you turn it. Rough Country Suspension sells a 2.5 inch body lift and a 3" suspension lift. Bother are almost the same price, the difference being that the body lift lifts the body with spacers on the shock towers(?) and the susp. left gives you new coils, shocks, blocks, etc.

No plans to make new trails with my truck. Any offroading would be on a trail thats been gone through a few times. Kinda want to avoid mud lol

You can do a ford knuckle swap. You'll have to search but Dana 53 knuckles off the ttb 3/4 ton trucks fit. They have roller bearings and have dual piston huge brakes.

I heard about that, but not sure how much the cost would be. Umm... whats a ttb? <-NOOB:nod:

ajakeski
07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
If you do a suspension lift, you need to increase the caster in the front end alignment. Changing the suspension geometry will cause a shake in the front end at highway speeds.
Do a google search for "Dodge death wobble"
I just sunk about $1000 in the front end of my 1996 Ram to get rid of the wobble. It was so bad at times it felt like the truck would shake off the road.

iangoround
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Someone, somewhere makes a kit with all the parts you need to convert your Ram to the Ford style replaceable bearings and maybe even manual locking hubs if you feel like eliminating the CAD. I'm looking for the link right now, but I seem to recall the kit price at around $1100 or something. It may have included brakes and all that jazz too. I'll post it up if I find it.

BoostedDrummer
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about that man. My dad told me my truck liked to walk all over the road, he had it fixed with a new modified trac bar for about $130 (out of my pocket) and it fixed the play in the wheel.

As for manual locking hubs, I read about them, but for $1000+, I dont feel it would be the right way to go. If a Unit bearing did go out on my truck, it would only cost around $300 to replace it. The manual hubs convert the truck to 2WD and is supposed to increase gas mileage by something of 3mpg. Still, I dont think it would be able to pay itself off anytime soon. Not ruling it out though

black86glhs
07-29-2012, 03:18 AM
The body lift will not change the suspension setup and adds less to the issues of the death wobble. Might see if that alone will clear the tires.

RoadWarrior222
07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
The manual hubs convert the truck to 2WD and is supposed to increase gas mileage by something of 3mpg. Still, I dont think it would be able to pay itself off anytime soon. Not ruling it out thoughWell it would pay off quick on a DD, not so much on a toy... but if you're DDing a truck just to haul your own butt, you need your head checking.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

(Though I say that and then remember that if insurance is insane like it is here, if you want/need a truck on the weekends, then it has to make $1500 difference in gas before having 2 vehicles is worth it.)

shackwrrr
07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
The body lift will not change the suspension setup and adds less to the issues of the death wobble. Might see if that alone will clear the tires.

But body lifts look redneckish and tacky.

shackwrrr
07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh and ttb means twin traction beam. Its fords goofy independent front suspension setup from the 80s.

You don't need to buy a kit, those trucks litter the junkyards and if you pull all the parts then reassemble them you could get them for one money.

You need the knuckles, spindles, outer axle shaft, wheel flange/hub, rotor, caliper. The only issue is that stock dodge wheels won't fit over the center hub, any aftermarket wheel will be big enough.

shackwrrr
07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874442

Force Fed Mopar
07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
But body lifts look redneckish and tacky.

Small ones don't. That's why I suggested a small body lift in the first place, I knew the 33's would rub at full lock only, so a 2-2.5" body lift would easily clear them, is only slightly noticeable, and doesn't change anything in the suspension or drivetrain geometry.

RoadWarrior222
07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
The cheap way ... :D
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f222/body-lift-using-wood-blocks-or-hockey-pucks-453223/

BoostedDrummer
07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874442
I read all the way to page 6 before the black background and white letters gave me a headache:banghead:

Small ones don't. That's why I suggested a small body lift in the first place, I knew the 33's would rub at full lock only, so a 2-2.5" body lift would easily clear them, is only slightly noticeable, and doesn't change anything in the suspension or drivetrain geometry.

Body lift leaves stock suspension travel alone correct? For a 2" body lift, it costs $251.95. For a 3" susp. lift, it's $499.95 and you get what seems to be better(?) shocks, coils, etc. which would be necessary with the slightly larger tires? Not sure.. I'll just ask it

BODY LIFT OR SUSPENSION LIFT ERRYBODY?!?!??

bakes
07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
just put a leveling kit in the front and call it a day

RoadWarrior222
07-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Orrr

Flare out the arches....

... and have another 10" put into the width of the rims to stretch the tires and have the first herrafrush offroad capable truck.

BoostedDrummer
07-29-2012, 06:42 PM
just put a leveling kit in the front and call it a day

Didnt think about that one :/

Orrr

Flare out the arches....

... and have another 10" put into the width of the rims to stretch the tires and have the first herrafrush offroad capable truck.

That'd be opt for sum mAd LoLz, yo! I'll be accepted by everybody:D

BoostedDrummer
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Went ahead and bought the Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Lift Kit with the optional upgraded shocks. The shocks are Hydro 8000's and are supposedly designed for the extra travel and such. All this for a lovely $220 shipped. Much more cost effective than the Susp. lift I wanted and it gets me what I want.

Oh, here's some pictorials of teh truck and of one I modified in Microsoft paint to achieve a before and after with the lift and 33's:thumb:

bakes
07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Looks great!!! Dont forget to check the toe or you burn up tires .
I know more and more people (and me too ) are doing just the leveling kits more and more
My next is to add air bags for the rear so when i load it heavy im not dropping the --- end.

BoostedDrummer
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
No lift on it yet, shouldve mentioned in the previous post lol. BUT, the lift is on its way and I'll be putting it on when I rotate back home :). I'm gonna be taking it to an alignment shop after it is on since its gonna be towing my GLH from San Antonio to Middle Georgia :P