PDA

View Full Version : Dodge neon dies

shackwrrr
07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I have a buddy with a 1998 dohc neon that has developed an issue. It will die while driving, it will idle all day long but as soon as you drive a couple hundred feet or more it will die. If you try to crank after it dies you get nothing, if you shut it off and wait it starts right up. I checked fuel spark and whatnot when it died, none, the computer isn't even trying, the asd and fuel pump relays are off. No codes, I put the scanner on it and it looks like it's losing cam /crank sync. We replaced both cam/crank sensors but no change. Everything else is kosher on the scan tool when it dies.

Any thoughts? Could an iffy timing belt stretch far enough to lose sync? Maybe a bad came magnet?

cordes
07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I think I have the magic bullet for you. I just went through this with my 97. The wiring behind the motor was all melted together causing it to miss. The crank, cam, SDS etc. all share the same power feed and ground if I'm not mistaken.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=383198&sid=14044fa81b042ae3544bf52ea4bfe4c5

shackwrrr
07-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Awesome thanks, I remember him saying the speedo stops when it happens.

cordes
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Awesome thanks, I remember him saying the speedo stops when it happens.

That's most certainly the issue then. It's pretty easy to pull that section of harness out anyway so that's where I would start trouble shooting.

shadow88
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Great info! Sometimes the harness clips break and the harness rubs on the passenger axle. Also, tends to rub/ melt agianst the egr tube.

shackwrrr
07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Harness was too nasty to save, pulling wires apart just pulled the insulation off. Found another harness in his stash, fixed a few wires and put it on. Good so far.

cordes
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
I would be interested in that harness if he doesn't want it. Looks like a good quality item.

shackwrrr
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I would be interested in that harness if he doesn't want it. Looks like a good quality item.

:confused: We will pull some more harnesses from the junkyard this weekend if you are interested in one of those.

cordes
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
:confused: We will pull some more harnesses from the junkyard this weekend if you are interested in one of those.

I only want it for the connectors. I'll be making my own so that's just as good as anything from a JY and I figured that oily piece of crap won't set me back much.

shackwrrr
07-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Alright, I'll ask him if he'll get rid of it.

cordes
08-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Alright, I'll ask him if he'll get rid of it.

Sweet. Thanks a bunch.

chryguy
08-01-2012, 01:41 AM
HELLO!

Cordes FTW! :D

Dang, that was some sweet diagnosing... :thumb:

Talk about a bulls eye...jeez. Nicely done sir... :hail:

CG

cordes
08-01-2012, 01:54 AM
HELLO!

Cordes FTW! :D

Dang, that was some sweet diagnosing... :thumb:

Talk about a bulls eye...jeez. Nicely done sir... :hail:

CG

I hate the fact that this one was so easy. ALL of these cars seem to be having this problem right now. The wiring harnesses totally melt together and it's a disaster waiting to happen. I just finished running individual lines to all of my sensors and I still have the speedometer bouncing around. At this point I'm forced to think that it's the wiring harness problem on top of a bad speed sensor. Talk about a difficult one to diagnose!

I'll know tomorrow if I have it fixed. I picked up a new speed sensor tonight. Of course the new ones require soldering a new pig tail on so I'll have to pull the harness for the 4th or 5th time in two weeks. Good times.

chryguy
08-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Ahhhhh,

Yer just bein' modest...:nod:

CG

RoadWarrior222
08-01-2012, 08:32 AM
At this point I'm forced to think that it's the wiring harness problem on top of a bad speed sensor. Talk about a difficult one to diagnose! Heh, I'm chasing one like that, fixed the worst/obvious part of the problem and then there's still issues...