PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Noises

DoubleD
07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Just recently installed a TU Purple plate with 6 puck disc. When the car is in neutral and I depress the clutch I get a loud noise under the hood. I took a video of me pressing on the clutch using a floor jack to disengage the clutch and this is the sound I get. This only happens when the car has been sitting for a while, otherwise it makes no noise. What would be causing this? Bad Throw out bearing? Car has 250 miles on the new clutch so far.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brmsnowboarder/th_photobucket-2696-1342564132008.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brmsnowboarder/?action=view&current=photobucket-2696-1342564132008.mp4)

RoadWarrior222
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Sounds more like something rubbing to me than a bearing, see any shavings through the inspection plate hole?

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
It could be the disc not broken in yet and slightly binding after it sits. How does it drive? Did you have trouble installing the trans and maybe bent a finger or two? Maybe give it a bit more time if it drives fine and with no vibration in the pedal.

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2012, 07:52 PM
anyway to take the same video without using the jack?

DoubleD
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
I can try to but it is harder to hear the sound from in car while pushing on the clutch, Ill try and find a helper and Ill make a new video. The car only does this when it is cold, after warming up and driving for a distance. I will sit at a light and actuate the clutch and there are no sounds.. I am still stumped, but the mileage is low on my new clutch.

GLHNSLHT2
07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe set the camera on the jack and get inside the car? I'm just trying to be able to differentiate from the clutch noise and what possibly might be the jack squeaking.

RoadWarrior222
07-19-2012, 08:39 PM
slide camera face up under the car on a plank... don't need to have a good picture to hear it... right under the bell housing should give excellent sound.

trannybuster
07-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Throwout bearing, I had same issue with TU setup, in fact the 1st bearing lasted about the same as yours, I called Chris and got some advice, of course it was someting I did, isnt that generally what they all proclaim, Anyhow I replaced the pos plastic unit with the all steel Timken bearing it chatters some but it has about 5000 miles on thus far, maybe during winter Ill replace it when I freshen the engine up.
BTW his advice was 'check and make sure the carpet backing isnt stuck between carpet and cable, and how old is the cable might need a new one..its lame but I can imagine the knuckle heads he has to deal with everyday. Those setup but alot more pressure on our bearings and I think generally most are okay but some of us lucky bastages get wacked! Keeps us updated, good luck, tranny work SUCKS!

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Best thing to do has been mentioned, drive it some and see if it settles in...if its the bearing youll know soon enough.

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM
It could also be the disc not seated yet, so imagine little "hairs" sticking up as it hasn't mated yet. I would give it a few more miles if it seems ok, like I mentioned before.

trannybuster
07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
^^Im inclined toward your diagnosis, my issue was mainly in neutral ,no load on bearing.

Chris W
07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
BTW his advice was 'check and make sure the carpet backing isnt stuck between carpet and cable, and how old is the cable might need a new one..its lame but I can imagine the knuckle heads he has to deal with everyday.

We did have a customer in CA that experienced this issue. The carpet padding somehow got wrapped around the clutch cable and was pulled into the sheath restricting cable movement. The cable started binding and did not allow the TOB to fully release. Whenever we diagnose any problem over the phone we try to offer all possibilities to increase chances of providing a solution.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

dwh4784
07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Jay, if you want to hear what it sounds like you can listen to my car. It does the exact same thing under the same conditions. Early morning or if it has sat for more than a couple of hours. Do you get the chatter with the clutch partially engaged but not if it is all the way in or out?

Mine began doing this more regularly and then the clutch blew up on New Years Eve. With the new clutch it still does it.

DoubleD
08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I have about 800 miles on the new clutch now and the noise has gone away completely. It must have been a part that had to wear in. Weird, but I am happy it is gone now.

RoadWarrior222
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
No not really gone, it has uploaded it as a .mp3 file to the encrypted part of the SMEC that Rob can't figure out, in the "Noises that will really stress him out when I'm pissed off with him" folder, which is also where it stores the long term "peeve" trim.... if peeve values exceed threshold, it starts random playback.