PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Crabs Vs. White Ninjas

Daytana
07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Car is a 1994 Lebaron LX 3.0 convertible currently sitting on 6.5 crabs. I have a set of white Ninjas off of my Daytona I am going to get rid of soon. Which would be the better option for overall handling/weight on the Lebaron? So far the only thing I have for suspension are some KYB Excel-G's (plan on doing poly bushings soon). Do not have the Ninjas mounted yet as I am still deciding, here is the picture of the 6.5 Crabs.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL294/1893736/23485827/400571524.jpg

RoadWarrior222
07-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Tough call, crabs have the width advantage, ninjas are 16"... not sure how it goes for weight... 5 years ago, I'd have said crabs for definite, but since new cars have been coming with larger wheels, the affordability and availability of 16" tires in a wide selection of types has improved, while that of 15" tires has declined... ergo the ninjas might be a better choice for the future.... you'll still get 15"s of course, but there will be less performance selection, and the prices won't be as good as the bulk of the used smaller car market wants 16s 17s instead of 14s 15s as previously...

Visually however, white wheels only look good on a white car, you'd probably want to look into polishing them, or spraying them black, gunmetal, bronze, or something.

Daytana
07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Tough call, crabs have the width advantage, ninjas are 16"... not sure how it goes for weight... 5 years ago, I'd have said crabs for definite, but since new cars have been coming with larger wheels, the affordability and availability of 16" tires in a wide selection of types has improved, while that of 15" tires has declined... ergo the ninjas might be a better choice for the future.... you'll still get 15"s of course, but there will be less performance selection, and the prices won't be as good as the bulk of the used smaller car market wants 16s 17s instead of 14s 15s as previously...

Visually however, white wheels only look good on a white car, you'd probably want to look into polishing them, or spraying them black, gunmetal, bronze, or something.

Good points. Seems like so far the Crabs have the obvious width advantage but lack tire availability compared to the Ninjas. Anyone have any performance pros for the Ninjas compared to the Crabs?

francois
07-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I doubt that we are gonna miss supplies of 15" within the next 10 years. Azenis and the XS should be around for a while. As far as performance tires is concerned.

Funny that you are saying that white wheels only look good on white cars. I previously had white wheels on a black car, a midori one (apple green) and a silver one.
Mind you, I like white wheels and I am looking forward to have a set on my now silver GLH.
I like the contrast.
Nope, I do not wear white shoes.
Go figure why!

Are the Ninja's 7" wide?
I personally prefer the look of the crabs one.

Daytana
07-14-2012, 02:35 PM
I doubt that we are gonna miss supplies of 15" within the next 10 years. Azenis and the XS should be around for a while. As far as performance tires is concerned.

Funny that you are saying that white wheels only look good on white cars. I previously had white wheels on a black car, a midori one (apple green) and a silver one.
Mind you, I like white wheels and I am looking forward to have a set on my now silver GLH.
I like the contrast.
Nope, I do not wear white shoes.
Go figure why!

Are the Ninja's 7" wide?
I personally prefer the look of the crabs one.

The Ninjas are 6.0" wide. No other factory turbo Mopar wheel is as wide as the 6.5" Crab wheels.

RoadWarrior222
07-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I doubt that we are gonna miss supplies of 15" within the next 10 years. Azenis and the XS should be around for a while. As far as performance tires is concerned. What's gonna happen first is your local tire store is gonna carry less stock and less models in 15", then there's gonna be less sales and promotions.. sure you can order something for a long while, but eventually it will be at the status of 13" passenger tires, and 14" Light truck tires, lucky if they've got ONE make/model you can buy in your town... hunt on the internet for anything other than the nastiest economy all season. We're probably fine for a few years yet, but it's going to happen.

Turbo3Iroc
07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes the 16's have more tire sizes available but I think the 15" sizes will be around for while. I like the look of the Ninja's but as far as a 16" wheel go, they seem to be pretty heavy. Also I'm not sold on a white wheel on a red (or metallic red?) convertible. Looks ricey to me personally. If they were the silver Ninja's, I would be all for it on the car. So given your options I would stick with the crabs for now.

turbovanmanČ
07-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't like either, lol.

Find some Lancer or GTS wheels. :p

Daytana
07-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Looks like I am leaning towards the Crabs, there seems to be no performance advantages to use the Ninjas given their weight is quite a bit excessive for 16's.

I don't like either, lol.

Find some Lancer or GTS wheels.

Heh, I wish. I would like the whole H body to go with the wheels too but those cars are rare as hen's teeth around here.

Yes the 16's have more tire sizes available but I think the 15" sizes will be around for while. I like the look of the Ninja's but as far as a 16" wheel go, they seem to be pretty heavy. Also I'm not sold on a white wheel on a red (or metallic red?) convertible. Looks ricey to me personally. If they were the silver Ninja's, I would be all for it on the car. So given your options I would stick with the crabs for now.

Yeah I remember a while back while mounting the tires on the Ninjas I thought "geez these are some heavy aluminum" lol. The Crabs I can toss around with no issue.

turbovanmanČ
07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Sorry, meant GTC wheels, :p

Daytana
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Those are kinda rare too lol, not to mention they are not part of my collection. :D

cordes
07-15-2012, 01:08 AM

And you're correct. We can thank the Porsche guys for that one. A 205/50R15 came on the 911s and the 944s for a while for sure. Some of the Mazdas came with 205/50R15s into the 2000s if I'm not mistaken too.

There will always be a performance offering in the 205/50R15. The only question will be whether you're willing to pay for the ultra high performance options in that size.

Turbo3Iroc
07-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Yes the 205 50 was one of the sizes I was referring to because it is so popular with the club racers. A 94 Lebaron would require a 205 60 though which is even more common.

GLHNSLHT2
07-15-2012, 10:39 AM
yea but you don't run a 205/50 15 on anything but an Lbody. 15" 205/60 and even 225/50's are getting rare. I've got to go to 17's on my daytona to get the tire brand and overall diameter to match the 15" size I have now.