PDA

View Full Version : NOs and methanol ????

bakes
07-07-2012, 01:16 AM
I getting ready now to bring my Nos system on line(currently plumb for gas) and was think out side the box what would it take to run the fuel side on 100% methanol fuel
was think of a need a stainless tank and alky pump fuel pressure reg . might have to change the seals on the fuel solenoid

note im currently have a devils own alky injecton running 100% methanol and the car loves it

Hoping Zin will chime in here and give some insight:nod:

zin
07-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Go for it!! But it will need to be jetted for roughly 2X the flow compared to gas. You'll want to use a fuel solenoid with a Teflon seal and hoses (most in kits already are). I don't often recommend this in N/A applications as the "coldness"of the methanol makes tuning difficult, but with boost (especially high boost), that added heat can be taken advantage of.

The simplest way to jet for alky is to flow the gas jet for 10sec then jet it up till you have about 2.125X more.

bakes
07-07-2012, 01:30 AM
now what fuel preasure above boost levels would you recomend to run

bakes
07-07-2012, 02:31 AM
just making my way through this link
http://books.google.ca/books?id=_MgGR7NJXRwC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=nos+and+alcohol+and+turbo&source=bl&ots=qZ3j8Qh0It&sig=E6bVDkNfa8tvCMF7O8tNenEXmsg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=itD3T8_aIMKmrAGmnpGLCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=nos%20and%20alcohol%20and%20turbo&f=false

zin
07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
That's going to be fairly simple. Since you'll be running a separate fuel system for the nitrous all you'll need is a fuel regulator with a vacuum/boost port, then I'd probably set it up for 15ish PSI.

I'd be cheating here though since I didn't flow it. But using "normal" 5-6psi jetting with roughly three times the pressure will give just about the right flow rate, and the boost port will keep the pressure going into the engine constant.

Mike

bakes
07-07-2012, 01:12 PM
now for my next question WB tuning . the motor is set to run on 91 with alky injection set to run 12.0 to1 on straight gas and 11.3-5 to 1 on alky
now if i going for a say a 75 shot (when active)would i now tune for a 8.5 to 1 or more or stay with my 11.1 reading?

zin
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
That is a crap shoot I'm afraid. But I wouldn't really rely on the WB too much in this situation. You'll have to start with the engine tuned properly, then add the nitrous... Since you're mixing, even "doing the math" won't really be the final word.

How do you feel about Accusumps?:evil: Because the only correct way to tune this kind of set-up is going to be reading plugs, and even then it's not so easy due to the alky not really leaving any color.

Don't get too discouraged though, this isn't Pro Stock racing where we have to get every last 1/8 of a HP. Just run it on the rich side, which alky has no problem with, and you'll be fine. Just don't go crazy with the richness.

Mike

bakes
07-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Are you talking Accusumps for the fuel or for the oiling system?

zin
07-08-2012, 01:09 AM
For the oil system, you'd want it for the turbo if you cut the engine at the end of the run in order to get a proper plug reading.

Mike