PDA

View Full Version : Clogged cat?

Daytana
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Car is a 1991 Dodge Daytona 2.5 Tbi. The car runs phenomenal until it warms up, afterwards I experience sputtering to the point where even if my foot is on well on the throttle the car will sputter and die. I ran codes and the only code I get (besides normal codes 12/55) is 32 'EGR System Failure". At first I suspected egr but after doing more reading I found out egr will only hurt Idle/De-accel and not normal driving. I am going to get the car home soon and start diagnosing it, is it possible that the cat is clogged and only affects the car when warmed up? Thanks in advance.

turbovanmanČ
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Drop the DP, go for a drive or hook a vacuum gauge up to the intake, if you get more than 5 psi when WOT, then exhaust is plugged.

Daytana
07-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Ok thanks Simon, I will try that. I have a vacuum gauge hooked up to my pillar pod, before the car started sputtering I was reading about 22 HG vac. When the problem started to occur again of course the readings went down. I will pull the downpipe and post back results.

RoadWarrior222
07-05-2012, 09:13 AM
IF this checks out then other avenues to explore are the coil going out/overheating and the fuel pump dying (A clue there is if it's worse at a quarter tank than with a full tank)

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

oh could be the HEP thing too, they don't like hot.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Oh and timing could have skipped a tooth, with open loop values coping, but closed loop timing failing.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Also a clue for "definitely fugged" is if you kick/rattle the cat and it sounds like it's full of rocks.... but negative result doesn't necessarily mean it's good... but if it does that you can stop guessing... and in that state they can be a bugger to diagnose any other way, because the way the lumps rattle around they can be more open or more clogged at any given time.

Daytana
07-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Update: Well the problem got worse, the car only turns over but does not start now. The car had to be towed back home. I did not drop the dp yet, however I did remove the o2 sensor (kept it plugged in) and attempted to start the car, nothing but turning over. My first HEP went out a while ago and replaced it with a turbo Lebaron HEP (that was bad on the side the TBI cars do not use) and the car ran fine again. Perhaps the turbo HEP finally gave out on me so I will try that next and maybe look at the coil as well (although it is a fairly new Accel unit). Just to double check fuel I will pull the air cleaner off and see if the injector is spraying. If this turns out to be a wiring gremlin or something $200 or more I am going to seek another DD, this car is rusted to hell anyways lol. Maybe a stripper (base) Shadow or something. ;)