PDA

View Full Version : members near scranton pa - I might need a back-up. anyone willing?

x.Gen
07-01-2012, 11:46 AM
hey guys -
anyone near scranton willing to let me use some driveway/garage space if I need? bought a 2nd gen daytona beater this weekend...rough condition when I looked at it, seems like it possibly needed a starter relay, a vacuum block installed, and an oil change. the car is a couple minutes outside of scranton, which is just over 100 miles from me, and I'm looking to do this maybe tomorrow or Tuesday. I'd be hesitant to make the trip home without doing that first, and AAA towing maxes out at 100 miles so I want to make sure I can get inside that range at the very least ;)

I could bring everything necessary (ramps, pan, cardboard drop cloth, container for old oil, etc.), just need a solid surface to work on. only looking for 30-60 minutes if I end up needing the help, worst to worst I'll pay what I have to for a tow or will go out with a truck/carrier - but I'm trying to see if I can keep my cost low on this one. happy to throw someone some pizza, a case of beer, whatever - am looking for someone to get my back if I need. if you are willing to help, post up with your location or feel free to PM me. thanks!

RoadWarrior222
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
If all else fails, buy the oil at walmart and do it in the corner of their lot, they probably won't care, unless you just dump the oil on the lot, or are there a few days.

x.Gen
07-01-2012, 04:49 PM
yeah, trying to avoid any parking lot antics, or I'd dump it in the seller's landlord's gravel lot/driveway, doubt he'd even notice!

my gf thinks I'm being too cautious with the planning, but I don't really feel like finding out what AAA response time is like out there, might as well bring a sleeping bag, especially when they find out it is 100 miles. it's mostly the issue with the starter (relay) that has me worried. didn't have my bypass jumper with me to see if it truly is the relay, the starter was replaced recently so I figure it is either gonna be bump start & hope for the best on the ride home, or make a trip out there to put a light wrench to it. if a relay doesn't do it, I'm gonna have to spend something on it....dammit :mad:

RoadWarrior222
07-01-2012, 10:50 PM
You can hit the crank bolt from the wheelwell with the wheel turned, with a battery powered impact... if you have one... (dunno if that will kick it over real fast though, and you gotta hope it don't grab the socket otherwise you'll have fun waiting for it to fly off.)

x.Gen
07-02-2012, 07:27 AM
nice ~ that is a genuinely unique method! only have air-powered, but bet I could get a battery one cheaper than towing it. deserves a sticky, with other road-side quick-fixes.

RoadWarrior222
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Not so much unique, just oldskool :D You could also try with a crank handle, but remember to keep your thumbs on top.