PDA

View Full Version : STOCK auto trans strength?

ShadowFromHell
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey guys Ive got a 86 NY with a T2 conversion, MP ECU, and FMIC. Otherwise pretty stock. Im wanting to turn the boost up from 15 to about 20 and open the exhaust up. Bump the hp and attempt to get the car to trap over 100mph. But I am worried about the trans. Its a bone stock 87 tranny with 80k on it. It shifts good, little flare into 3rd. I havent done a shift kit or anything yet, will that help the strength? I guess what I am asking is will it hold up with say 230hp (at best)? Or should I just leave the boost alone and enjoy the car? I added a large tranny cooler when I added the FMIC also.

Thanks!

RoadWarrior222
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Well if it's flaring now, it will only get worse, and that's scrubbing frictions. So at the very minimum, it's time to turn up the line pressure.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Its already flaring so it will get worse. I would do the DIY valve body mods, block the accumulator and turn up the line pressure. That will help for now.

ShadowFromHell
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
So doing the VB mods will make it hold up better? It really only flares under low acceleration. At WOT it shifts nice.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, they help a ton, as does the higher line pressure.

ShadowFromHell
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
So once that is done I shouldn't have to worry about it? The car wont be seeing anymore power then the stock turbo can put out.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
So once that is done I shouldn't have to worry about it? The car wont be seeing anymore power then the stock turbo can put out.

It SHOULD be ok, but obviously doing the clutch packs helps a ton. Just watch the flare, if it gets worse, stop.

Wiscoballer
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM

You say that now....:D

Vigo
06-28-2012, 10:09 PM
I think a stock turbo can make a 2.2 put out about 300 lb ft so it's not a small amount.. heh

ATaylorRacing
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Old Matchbox went through (and destroyed) 11 of the 5 speeds in its first 100,000 miles. In went in a stock automatic that then lasted 100,000 miles. Then a buddy gave me a freshly rebuilt automatic from a dealership. It was rebuilt at 230,000 miles and had another 5000 on it when his van got totalled. He gave it to me and in went a full manual valve body AND....Dave Coan himself built me a killer/bulletproof so far convertor. He took my stock one, cut it open, trashed the stock stator, grabbed a Mexican stator (1000 more rpm stall), milled out the center of it and pressed in a huge roller bearing, then welded it all back together. That convertor had lived in a turbo GLH I had first and then put in with this transmission. When we put in a cb motor from a 94 Shadow last fall the transmission fluid still looked brand new, even after nearly another 100,000 miles. The automatic transmissions only broke the clutch drums due to excessive line pressure from a over pressurized valve body on my GLH. After the proper line pressure was set and the Coan convertor was put in it never broke....but was darn worn out after another 100,000 miles. Doing that mod to the stator prevented a great amount of powderized stator material out of the fluid from the bushinged stator grinding itself into powder under power.

turbovanmanČ
06-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Yep, converters are a huge part of making it live.

Where did Coan get the stator?

Vigo
06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
A stock trans will live a long time behind an n/a 2.2/2.5 because even a modded, even 200hp+ one, is still only putting out 150tq at most.

Stirring the pot... if it was me, i would just do the line pressure bleed mod with a very small orifice and do NOTHING else. :eyebrows:

thedon809
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, torque is what kills drivetrain parts.

turbovanmanČ
06-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, torque is what kills drivetrain parts.

So how do the Honda guys break their trans then? :eyebrows:

thedon809
06-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Hahahaha. I guess when you give em some forced induction they start making something resembling torque.

RoadWarrior222
06-29-2012, 10:04 PM
So how do the Honda guys break their trans then? :eyebrows:Neutral drops :D

ShadowFromHell
06-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Honda guys seem to kill syncros. They do it with HP. Make all the fun you want but a boosted b-series hatchback would walk 90% of the 8v cars on this board. Sucks but true.

But back to the topic of my poor NYers tranny. Will adjusting the bands and doing TDG.com shift kit get the job done?

turbovanmanČ
06-30-2012, 04:45 AM
You've had the answers to your question, sort off, you need to take it apart to properly beef it up and put a real TC in.

Spycker
06-30-2012, 04:50 AM
but a boosted b-series hatchback would walk 90% of the 8v cars on this board. Sucks but true.

are we talking about below 10s? or 11-13s? otherwise id say the latter...---- HONDA, aleast we dont need VTEC to run power, shettt the hell you been smoking? besides HUNDUH!

Vigo
06-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Make all the fun you want but a boosted b-series hatchback would walk 90% of the 8v cars on this board. Sucks but true.

True dat.

are we talking about below 10s? or 11-13s? otherwise id say the latter...---- HONDA, aleast we dont need VTEC to run power, shettt the hell you been smoking? besides HUNDUH!

You know, probably less than a dozen 8v cars have run in the 10s in the 28 years they've existed. Do you have any idea how many cars here DONT run in the 13s? or even close? As far as 8v motors go... these cars need a turbo just to keep up (and in some cases not even keep up) with new midsize family sedans. 8v's are like diesels.. yeah, they CAN make good power with a lot of boost, but take the turbo off and the rest of the motor flows so crappy you'd want to roll it off a cliff.

ShadowFromHell
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

A b18c1 or b16 with boost is a pretty easy way to get into 11s. There is a very stock appearing 91 hatch here locally with a b20vtec that they drive to the track, swap on slicks and run 10s. Full interior, looks like a mild street car. I wish we had vtec. Its a very cool technology. You get the benifit of big cam's without loosing driveability.

shadow88
06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
It's more than just torque. There's also quite a bit of weight to haul around too! No real need to mention any other manufacturers because we're not working on them right now. I would suggest setting the line pressure to no more than 120 warm and seeing how well it handles it.

thedon809
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I wish we had vtec. Its a very cool technology. You get the benifit of big cam's without loosing driveability.Buy a fiat 500 abarth then, or a dart with 1.4 turbo. Multiair is a superior technology in my opinion. Hell, that engine could run with no throttle body because you can control the intake valves so precisely.

thedon809
06-30-2012, 01:50 PM
You know, probably less than a dozen 8v cars have run in the 10s in the 28 years they've existed. Do you have any idea how many cars here DONT run in the 13s? or even close? As far as 8v motors go... these cars need a turbo just to keep up (and in some cases not even keep up) with new midsize family sedans. 8v's are like diesels.. yeah, they CAN make good power with a lot of boost, but take the turbo off and the rest of the motor flows so crappy you'd want to roll it off a cliff.There are several different ways to skin a cat. High flowing head and low boost can make good power, crappy flowing head and ton o boost can make power. Just like the argument of low displacement, high revving dohc's vs big displacement pushrod v8's.

turbovanmanČ
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
A b18c1 or b16 with boost is a pretty easy way to get into 11s. There is a very stock appearing 91 hatch here locally with a b20vtec that they drive to the track, swap on slicks and run 10s. Full interior, looks like a mild street car. I wish we had vtec. Its a very cool technology. You get the benifit of big cam's without loosing driveability.

Put a 16 valve head on, buy some tri flow cams, you now have VTEC and the best of both worlds.

Ondonti
07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Or not argue about what you think is the most bestest awesome when it comes to cars because opinion always seems to trump logic. Even logic doesn't work since it requires a basis for making a decision and that foundation ends up being opinion of what the rules to judge a comparison will be.

thedon809
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh yeah??!?!?!?! My dad can beat up your dad.

135sohc
07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Lets keep this thread on topic please.

turbovanmanČ
07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
As said, Honda engines work because they don't have much mass to move, now put one of their engines in our cars, game over.

thedon809
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
As said, Honda engines work because they don't have much mass to move, now put one of their engines in our cars, game over.New civic SI is a slow turd because it weighs nearly 3,000lbs. A stock glhs or spirit r/t is faster than one of those. Actually, a stock spirit r/t or glhs is faster than most new "sport compacts". Everything is getting so damn heavy. The days of 2k-2500lb cars are over. Even the tiny 500 abarth is 2600lbs.

turbovanmanČ
07-03-2012, 01:13 AM
New civic SI is a slow turd because it weighs nearly 3,000lbs. A stock glhs or spirit r/t is faster than one of those. Actually, a stock spirit r/t or glhs is faster than most new "sport compacts". Everything is getting so damn heavy. The days of 2k-2500lb cars are over. Even the tiny 500 abarth is 2600lbs.

That is also true but they still don't make any torque. The new K series are better because they are larger in size.

Vigo
07-03-2012, 07:58 AM
There are several different ways to skin a cat. High flowing head and low boost can make good power, crappy flowing head and ton o boost can make power. Just like the argument of low displacement, high revving dohc's vs big displacement pushrod v8's.

The obvious counterargument is good flow AND high boost, which is why so many turbo hondas haul ---. lol

RoadWarrior222
07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Good flow, high boost, NOS, and booster rockets.. :p