PDA

View Full Version : Engine: 2.2 Stuff

Spycker
06-28-2012, 03:51 AM
my charger wont pass smog with a 2.4 dohc engine swap so i might have to build up a 2.2 engine then swap out for the 2.4..
im looking for 2.2 pistons / rods , id prefer the beafy rods and some good OEM replacement pistons...as well as a turbocharger that doesnt need coolant. thanks

zin
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
If you just need a "smog motor", then I'd just freshen up a stock TI, rings, valve job and guides as needed so you have a "tight" stock engine. Combine that with a stealthy OBDII cat and you'd be "blowing zeros", or damn near!

Seems like a waste to build a 2.2, if your real goal is a 2.4 transplant... BTW, the 2.4 transplant could be done legally, but you pretty much need a whole donor car as there will be parts (charcoal canister, etc) that the smog Nazi, er, I mean referee would be looking to fail you by way of, and having those OE parts would prevent that...

Whew! Can't imagine why people go bandit style when doing engine swaps!:amen:

PS Pretty much any turbo can be run without water, they are just oil cooled at that point, and a bit more susceptible to "coking" up. Good oil and a turbo timer/cool down period will prevent that problem.

Mike

Spycker
07-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Dummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmpe