PDA

View Full Version : Sdac-23

Spycker
06-22-2012, 02:29 AM
placeholder <3

BadAssPerformance
06-22-2012, 02:30 AM
We're gonna discuss it at SDAC-22... see ya there? ;)

Spoolin'Canuck
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
(In before the lock)

So, where is it going to be? (!) LOL

HUFFZZ
06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
I second that........

ShelGame
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I for one vote for it being at least 200 miles from Detroit. The whole stay-cataion stuff sucks. Who wants to go home from SDAC every night and do dishes and $hit. Next time, I want to get (far) away from home when I go to SDAC.

RoadWarrior222
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Prudhoe bay, in January, Ice Road trucker edition.

ShelGame
06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Prudhoe bay, in January, Ice Road trucker edition.

Hell yes. I've been wanting an Omni anyway. I'll put studded tired on it for the autocross (ice cross?). Do they do ice drags? I guess you can't really do a 'burn-out'...

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd say in the middle so us Canadians don't have to drive 10,000 miles, :(

Reaper1
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
How's about a southern edition. Maybe Atlanta?

DodgeZ
06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
If you guys want to do an event in your area you have to gather all the info and come up with a plan. Just saying where you want it isn't going to work. A lot of planning has to take place and the locals have to do most of the leg work.

j4278h
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
West michigan
road racing at Gingerman in South Haven
Autocross at US131 drag strip in Martin MI
Drag racing at US131 strip
Car Show at Gilmore car museum in Richland MI
With SDAC centered in Kalamazoo, mi

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2012, 06:01 PM
West michigan
road racing at Gingerman in South Haven
Autocross at US131 drag strip in Martin MI
Drag racing at US131 strip
Car Show at Gilmore car museum in Richland MI
With SDAC centered in Kalamazoo, mi

Same as the area its being held at now, :(

RoadWarrior222
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
What does this map say to you though? ...

http://sdac.org/picture_library/chapter_map.gif

Probably your best bet for "close" is to bug the Minnesota lot to step up.

zin
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Might I suggest Vegas? Shelby's there, hell of a nice drag strip, might even figure out a way to do a road course...

AND it's Vegas! (and I could drive there!)...

Mike

omni_840
06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Is there a list of all the past SDAC locations? Just wondering where the locations have been in relation to the local club.

85glht
06-27-2012, 07:43 PM
How's about a southern edition. Maybe Atlanta?

Wow, during the summer? I would melt :)

Might I suggest Vegas? Shelby's there, hell of a nice drag strip, might even figure out a way to do a road course...

AND it's Vegas! (and I could drive there!)...

Mike

I wouldn't tow my car there but I would definitely fly out there. VEGAS!

sdac guy
06-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Is there a list of all the past SDAC locations? Just wondering where the locations have been in relation to the local club.SDAC 1 & 2 Maryland
SDAC 3 Detroit,
SDAC 4 Indianapolis
SDAC 5 West Virginia / Maryland
SDAC 6 Topeka
SDAC 7 Detroit
SDAC 8 Indianapolis
SDAC 9 Chicago (cancelled but attended by a few)
SDAC 10 Detroit
SDAC 11 Brantford Ontario
SDAC 12 Memphis
SDAC 13 Maryland (Cecil County)
SDAC 14 Waukegan Wisc
SDAC 15 Cincinnati
SDAC 16 Topeka
SDAC 17 Pittsburgh
SDAC 18 Detroit
SDAC 19 Cincinnati
SDAC 20 Maryland / PA
SDAC 21 Chicago
SDAC 22 Detroit

The worst attended events were both in Topeka KS. At SDAC 16, with only one exception (Simon), nobody west of Kansas attended.

Barry

Shadow
06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
What does this map say to you though? ...

http://sdac.org/picture_library/chapter_map.gif

Probably your best bet for "close" is to bug the Minnesota lot to step up.

Minnesota would be Awesome!!!!!! Brainerd is a good enough track to have us all running our fastest times! Prob cost a fortune to rent though :(

Although the upside might be the road course that they also have + room for a auto-cross as well. Hmmmmmmm

omni_840
06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
SDAC 1 & 2 Maryland
SDAC 3 Detroit,
SDAC 4 Indianapolis
SDAC 5 West Virginia / Maryland
SDAC 6 Topeka
SDAC 7 Detroit
SDAC 8 Indianapolis
SDAC 9 Chicago (cancelled but attended by a few)
SDAC 10 Detroit
SDAC 11 Brantford Ontario
SDAC 12 Memphis
SDAC 13 Maryland (Cecil County)
SDAC 14 Waukegan Wisc
SDAC 15 Cincinnati
SDAC 16 Topeka
SDAC 17 Pittsburgh
SDAC 18 Detroit
SDAC 19 Cincinnati
SDAC 20 Maryland / PA
SDAC 21 Chicago
SDAC 22 Detroit

The worst attended events were both in Topeka KS. At SDAC 16, with only one exception (Simon), nobody west of Kansas attended.

Barry

Thanks for posting this!!

Wish we had more of a presence in WV(I'm working on uniting with some semi-local guys) and seems to be centrally located with 7 clubs within 5-6 hours:)

bakes
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
vegas

moparman76_69
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Nobody has really stepped up to host next year, so get busy if you want it in your backyard.

BadAssPerformance
06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
If you guys want to do an event in your area you have to gather all the info and come up with a plan. Just saying where you want it isn't going to work. A lot of planning has to take place and the locals have to do most of the leg work.

Thanks Kevin, this sums up a big part of it. In addition to a "plan" we need an active SDAC Chapter to be behind the plan to make sur ethat it can be executed succesfully. Additionally, geography will play a roel as well.

Nobody has really stepped up to host next year, so get busy (with your local chapter) if you want it in your backyard.

Good point, and I added a comment

vegas

I do not recall a Vegas Chapter...

DC Turismo
06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for posting this!!

Wish we had more of a presence in WV(I'm working on uniting with some semi-local guys) and seems to be centrally located with 7 clubs within 5-6 hours:)

Good data. Keep up the work on uniting your team and get a proposal out there!

ForzaV12
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Mexico

bakes
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Mexico
HMmmmmm

Fuzz's '87 Shadow
06-28-2012, 11:49 PM
I vote for Cincy again, it was a nice setup and everybody seemed to have had a good time. Whatever you decide, it would be nice to have a central location so it isn't so far away.

Fuzz

moparjon2007
06-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Well after attending this year I like what I heard at Awards Night. Teresa's OK with it too as we have to attend for "obvious" reasons, 25th of the "T".

ATaylorRacing
06-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Indy was mentioned.....I am all for it of course! The track could be Muncie, or Indy...both NHRA, but Muncie is privately owned. I am hearing that it is not being prepared as well as normal though. Indy has been hooking for many years now....of course fwd cars tend to strip rubber off of the starting line. I still like Cincy (Edgewater) and even willing to give Joliet a try after they screwed SDAC way back when. Da Grove is good for me too. I could not hook my 16 second car at memphis to save my life.....since there is an expansion strip of about a 1/2 inch right at the starting line, that does not affect rwd cars.

shackwrrr
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I see it was in Pittsburgh once, was there anything bad about that location? What were the events like and where were they?

Pretty much all the normal locations are fairly close to me but Pittsburgh is the closest... well unless it was near columbus using national trail

22shelby
06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
just so everyone understands, Indy was only mentioned because they are the only ones stepping up as of this time and are producing a plan...

Clay
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I still want the Norwalk, OH area guys to give it a go at some point. I was really looking forward to that area when it was tried a few years back.

moparman76_69
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
just so everyone understands, Indy was only mentioned because they are the only ones stepping up as of this time and are producing a plan...

Yes as in NO chapter has submitted a proposal to host next year.

I still want the Norwalk, OH area guys to give it a go at some point. I was really looking forward to that area when it was tried a few years back.

I would like to see it somewhere new also. MN or Buckeye should give it a go.

dodgeshadowchik
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Norwalk, OH, would be a fantastic location. They have such a great track there. But, hey... we'll see what happens.

Oggie Fisher
06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Access to current/former Chrysler employees that were involved with the cars is IMO a great reason for keeping it in the Detroit area.

Boostn
06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
The Norwalk track is awesome. They have a few little shops right on site that are pretty cool. You can get a tub of Ice cream for like a buck, Dave Buschur whos big in the DSM community has a shop right around the corner and has hosted Dyno days at his shop in the past. Another plus is cedar point is right around the corner and has some pretty cool roller coasters one of which is the Top Fuel Dragster that does 0-60 in some crazy stupid time... Norwalk would be a good choice.:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::thumb::thumb ::thumb:

Orangetona
06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
I see it was in Pittsburgh once, was there anything bad about that location? What were the events like and where were they?

Pretty much all the normal locations are fairly close to me but Pittsburgh is the closest... well unless it was near columbus using national trail

I was there (first one id been to) and it was awesome! Idk if everyone from steel city would want to do it again lol. Its a lot of work.

turbovanmanČ
06-30-2012, 04:55 AM
Norwalk OH, that's even further, :(

Access to current/former Chrysler employees that were involved with the cars is IMO a great reason for keeping it in the Detroit area.

Well of course, its a 10 hour drive for you.

1FastCSX289
06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Can someone give a brief overview of what it takes to host? I'm assuming reservations, planning a fun run, etc. What is the chapter responsible for vs. JT and the other leaders? I think we have the right facilities here in NY......especially if we could piggy back on an scca event at watkins glen....we have great drags, fantastic scenery on the finger lakes, etc. Just curious as to the work load involved.....

RoadWarrior222
06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
What is the chapter responsible for vs. JT and the other leaders? Just stuff like scouting, recruiting informants, bribing local officials... well I'd imagine you'd wanna collect all the info together, so top brass can just make phone calls and book it... well, beg on the phone for hours until they finally give in...

bigbarneycars
06-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Prudhoe Bay AYE? O.K. RW222. You get Muck Tuck Annie to preform and you can count me in! Now where's that evel grin icon, Jer

BadAssPerformance
06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Mexico

Ya know, there are a ton of good enthusiasts in TurboMX, however none of them are SDAC members, yet

I vote for Cincy again, it was a nice setup and everybody seemed to have had a good time. Whatever you decide, it would be nice to have a central location so it isn't so far away.

Fuzz

Votes are very much appreciated, but unfortunately, votes do not determine where the event is located because:

NO chapter has submitted a proposal to host next year..

and with next year being only our second year, we will only be looking at locations with strong chapter support. We learned a ton this year on how to run the event and a HUGE part of how well it ran was a strong local chapter (Great Lakes) that has hosted multiple other events.

Can someone give a brief overview of what it takes to host? I'm assuming reservations, planning a fun run, etc. What is the chapter responsible for vs. JT and the other leaders? I think we have the right facilities here in NY......especially if we could piggy back on an scca event at watkins glen....we have great drags, fantastic scenery on the finger lakes, etc. Just curious as to the work load involved.....

In short, the local chapter needs to research all of the local locations (hotel, car show location, tracks, hospitality night etc) and come up with a plan that fits our typical schedule. The plan will be reviewed and locations/costs compared with others with respect to SDAC member location and, expected attendance, and ability to break even and then a decision will be made...

If any chapters are seriously considering their area for SDAC-23 PLEASE e-mail me directly at: jt <at> sdac <.> org

ScottD
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
As someone who was actively involved in the leg work for SDAC 20 it is a lot of work! It is something a lot of thought and time goes into.

moparjon2007
06-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there anything that the general membership can help out a local chapter with the logistics, even if only during the SDAC weekend? Aka, Jaren "running" the drags for the day.

sdac guy
06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
The local folks usually help park cars at the car show. We actually had more GL chapter volunteers for this than we needed, but that is unusual. If the local folks plan a rally type event, then they work it also. For an event like we just had, I was the only one needed to run it, but for the rally in Pittsburgh where it was a poker run, about a half dozen local folks helped out, one at each stop on the route.

Some drag strips only include a minimum of workers, and in that instance we have relied on folks to work the timing booth, starting line, announcing, etc. So the amount of local folks needed to help out at an event varies.

Barry

4 l-bodies
06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Minnesota would be Awesome!!!!!! Brainerd is a good enough track to have us all running our fastest times! Prob cost a fortune to rent though :(

Although the upside might be the road course that they also have + room for a auto-cross as well. Hmmmmmmm

Many years ago some of us in MN looked into possiblity of renting Brainerd track for dragstrip and roadcourse/autocross for possible SDAC event. It was insane what they wanted to rent the track out for. Can't remember the $ but it was probably 20 times what we could afford. The track I believe is under new ownership since we last contacted them. BTW- Brainerd is 140 miles North of Twin Cities, MN. Also have decent very low cost 1/8 mile track 90 miles West of cities. Other 1/4 mile track near Twin Cities (and I use this term loosely) is Rock Falls, in O'Claire, WI. This is 100+ miles East of Twin Cities. Very nice 1/4 mile track but they are about the most expensive track you could go to for test-n-tune days. Ten years ago they got about $85 for simple test-n-tune day. Can't imagine what they would get for renting the track out for private function. Do you think the Twin Cities needs a local track?(LOL) Everyone here wants local track, but no body wants it in their backyard, so any talk of local track goes no where. They have been talking about one for the last 20 years!!! Since we have very few options for tracks around here, the ones that are here get maximum buck to race at.
Southern suburb of Twin Cities has a fantastic dedicated autocross course located on Technical school property. The local law enforcement use this course to learn how to drive. This I could potentially see as a realistic rental facility.
MNSDAC chapter doesn't have a large membership, or one that is really active in motorsport events. When I go to a dragstrip, it would be very unusual if more than a couple of TM owners would actually race. I usually go out with my RWD buddies, although we did get a couple TM guys to try running their cars for the first time late last year.
Host hotel I do not think would be a problem, there are endless possibilities there. Affordable track rental would be by far the biggest roadblock. This is probably the case for anyone that hosts SDAC event.
Todd

moparman76_69
06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
You might be surprised what is considered affordable. Ask JT what the average rates are.

Clay
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM

the way I understand it is the local chapter is basically responsible for setting up the entire thing. SDAC takes care of contracts and what not, and runs the events on site, but the local chapter basically does all of the ground work to get all the locations together, scheduled etc.

DodgeZ
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Norwalk OH, that's even further, :(

Well of course, its a 10 hour drive for you.

I was in San Diego the week before SDAC. I made it.

I agree that the distance is too far but that is just life. Most of the people aren't on the West coast. So does it make sense to make a few people travel real far or a lot of people travel real far? Opinions are gonna be based off of what group you are in. Now that I am in Texas I can't justify the trip towing a car. I'll have to have something really really nice to make that long as trip. Flying in to the event isn't that bad.

anokabball24
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
what does this map say to you though? ...

Probably your best bet for "close" is to bug the minnesota lot to step up.

mn here!

Turbodave
06-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Here's a basic rundown of the requirements:

Hotel: Must be big enough to handle our group - up to 80 rooms available - Pool - Meeting room for 200 people - Accessible with good parking for trucks/trailers. Needs to be a decent hotel and priced reasonable, I think the Marriot we had this year is the nicest hotel we've stayed in and also the most expensive at $89/night.

Drag Strip: Need to be available on a weekday (monday or tuesday), rental price of past tracks has been in the $3,000-$6,000 range with insurance and ambulance included. We had about 50 cars drag racing this year.

Road Course: Price is the big issue here, it's been a challenge to find any rentals that fit our budget. Based on past numbers I think we saw about 20-30 racers with a cost of $200 for a track day. So that's within 4-6k with insurance.

Autocross: We don't own any timing equipment or cones, so would need to partner with a club that does (SCCA for example). Would also need to have a facility willing to let us use their lot for the event. Ideally on a Monday/Tuesday to fit with the Drag schedule. This year we partnered with the detroit region SCCA and got our own spec class on their Saturday event. It wasn't ideal as it occurred before our event registration, but we still had about 20 people participate.

Car Show: A park or nice setting that will accomodate at least 100 cars and allow space for spectator parking and swap meet. The local guys are usually needed to help with parking on the date of the show. Cost is usually minimal for a car show venue, $200-400 is pretty typical.

Fun Rally: This doesn't cost us anything besides a few bucks to run off copies of the instructions, that's the good part. The local chapter really has to plan the route, create the questions etc. Our routes are usually around 100miles.

Hospitality Night: We need a facility that can feed 150ish people for a reasonable price. Good food, preferrably something with a local flair.

As to what falls on the local chapter: It starts with putting a plan together, get a quote from the tracks, a list of hotels in the area that meet our needs and let JT and I know. If we choose your region, then the local guys would work on planning the Rally, Hospitality night, getting lists of local attractions, maps, car show parking, local donations etc..

4 l-bodies
07-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Dave, that is good info.

Spycker
07-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Las Vegas, Nevada...I live in california and would gladly go to Las Vegas! Shiitttt we all can get drunk down the STRIP!

1FastCSX289
07-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the info....ill run it by the guys and see if we can put somethong together

Orangetona
07-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Bah humbug.

:)

Young Gun
07-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the info....ill run it by the guys and see if we can put somethong together

Bah humbug.

Shoot me a PM if you guys need any ideas. Two hotels that come to mind would be the RIT Inn and conference center which is just 2 minutes off of I-90 and also dead this time of year or The double tree in at 1111 Jefferson rd which is I-90 to 390 and a right turn

ForzaV12
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Hawaii

Turbodave
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Hawaii Will never happen, nobody wants to see me in a grass skirt.

ForzaV12
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Will never happen, nobody wants to see me in a grass skirt.

I think Alan would.

86Shelby
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
We could sell tickets to that, Dave, people would likely enjoy participating in the hilarity that would ensue.

dodgeshadowchik
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I think Alan would.

I bet JT would too. :P

ScottD
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I would be happy to help again to set something up in Maryland again using Mason Dixon (Boonsboro, MD) as the drag strip and using the Capitol Driving Club and Harry Grove Stadium (Frederick, MD) for the auto-x. The car show could be held at Rose Hill Manor (Frederick, MD) again. I'd have to find another hotel since I believe the hotel in Hagerstown was kind of a pain to deal with, but there is a conference center right in Frederick that would be a good option.

Clay
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I think Alan has.

fixed

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I think Alan would.

Ya know, I think it was Alan that put a girl's tank top on Sean (Mr. Universe Gazer) Campbell... lol ;)

I would be happy to help again to set something up in Maryland again using Mason Dixon (Boonsboro, MD) as the drag strip and using the Capitol Driving Club and Harry Grove Stadium (Frederick, MD) for the auto-x. The car show could be held at Rose Hill Manor (Frederick, MD) again. I'd have to find another hotel since I believe the hotel in Hagerstown was kind of a pain to deal with, but there is a conference center right in Frederick that would be a good option.

That could possibly work... we need to teach M/D how to prep a track tho ;) This post also reminds me that I'm behind on e-mails... I'll get back to you soon

cordes
07-03-2012, 07:14 PM

I had a phenomenal time at 20 and would love to go back to the area again some day. That sounds good to me.

168glhs1986
07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Detroit ever year please.

bakes
07-03-2012, 07:59 PM
What about Alaska?????? lol

ScottD
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM

WTF? You live in Maryland. Traitor!

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Mike is not the only one we've heard that from... 22 was an awesome time

It does however put a lot of burden on the local chapter to do the same place every year as well. After SDAC-14 in Chicago, we were glad to drive out of town for 15, LOL! We're still sifting thru the SDAC-22 surveys, so we'll see what the group thinks. We'll discuss the results in the next issue of Up Front :thumb:

168glhs1986
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Hagerstown was great but Detroit had better:

Better hotel, better drag strip, better autox event, better car show, better food and less driving from event to event.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

I know the white board wanted ads worked. Mike stimac saw Spiros ad for big brake upgrade and although Spiro he had left earlier that day I snatched them up for him. So let's keep the parts wanted and parts emergency needed list going for # 23 wherever it may be. And thanks for the deal Mike.

Force Fed Mopar
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Reaper1, I'm down to help do some legwork to get a southern SDAC w/ a road course planned. Assuming it will be considered if we do?

If not, we can just plan our own southern TM meet :eyebrows: I'm pretty sure we can find some decent facilities around CMP or VIR :) Roebling Road and Road Atlanta are optional too but will most likely cost a lot more.

Turbo3Iroc
07-04-2012, 12:39 AM

Mike is not the only one we've heard that from... 22 was an awesome time

It does however put a lot of burden on the local chapter to do the same place every year as well. After SDAC-14 in Chicago, we were glad to drive out of town for 15, LOL! We're still sifting thru the SDAC-22 surveys, so we'll see what the group thinks. We'll discuss the results in the next issue of Up Front :thumb:

I was on record after 18 saying I could goto Detroit every year. I also mentioned it after 22.

Being close is nice but the D just has that aura about it.

Ok maybe not every year but all even number years :D

dodgeshadowchik
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
This is the Motor City and this is what we do.

;)

http://www.urbaneapts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/woodward_dream_cruise.jpg

ForzaV12
07-04-2012, 02:00 AM
This is socal and this is what we do(every week-end) ;)

Spycker
07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
this is the Bay Area and this is how we roll! NORCAL FTW 404074040840409

sdac guy
07-04-2012, 06:50 AM

;)

http://www.urbaneapts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/woodward_dream_cruise.jpgAhhh yes, the Woodward Dream Cruise. The largest one day auto event in the world! Over 25,000 cars on display, over 1 million people attending. And while the official day is the event, the cruising starts about 2 weeks before.

If any of you haven't ever attended the Woodward Dream Cruise, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. It is an amazing thing.

Barry

wheming
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Well this is The South....and boy, you sure got a pretty....
http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-4de2-b5b4.jpg

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...

wheming
07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I would enjoy seeing any options for the south considered. MD is about 6 hours and is a spot central to many. Pushing it further south to VA or GA would be fine by me.
I wish we had a bigger TM presence in NC but our few members are just too spread out and we have struggled with maintaining our club.
If somewhere like MD or closer I plan to get both cars there. Just need two engines and one trans rebuilt!

Force Fed Mopar
07-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Well this is The South....and boy, you sure got a pretty....
http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-4de2-b5b4.jpg

Dude, you're not helping LOL

BTW, to all you guys complaining about the heat in the South, it was in the 80's this year during the entire week of SDAC. When I went to SDAC 17 in Pittsburgh, it was 95-100* all week. Just saying...

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Now dry heat is fine, do it in the cali or zoney desert, Burning "M" festival...

wheming
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM

BTW, to all you guys complaining about the heat in the South, it was in the 80's this year during the entire week of SDAC. When I went to SDAC 17 in Pittsburgh, it was 95-100* all week. Just saying...

Well, sorry! :D

We've actually had a nice spring and summer so far, up to this recent batch of heat. I'm a Yankee, and Slug has no A/C and i've driven her through the past 9 summers. And those back windows don't go down either!

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Vans are good for that, they have a crotch vent :D

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I know the white board wanted ads worked. Mike stimac saw Spiros ad for big brake upgrade and although Spiro he had left earlier that day I snatched them up for him. So let's keep the parts wanted and parts emergency needed list going for # 23 wherever it may be. And thanks for the deal Mike.

Thanks again for the "parts wanted" suggestion, I agree and think it worked great :thumb:

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Up until 89... I thought 90 didnt have?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

this is the Bay Area and this is how we roll! NORCAL FTW

Woodward is awesome, a one of a kind event! Cars and Coffee is amazing, I love the thread with pics on here! Nice pics in the Bay Area as well!

...here in Chicagoland, there are MULTIPLE cruise nights with awesome EVERY NIGHT of the WEEK! In fact, in the next 3 weeks, 3 of the major ones will have their "Mopar" night, the SDAC Chcagoland chapter will invade! :nod:

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Reaper1, I'm down to help do some legwork to get a southern SDAC w/ a road course planned. Assuming it will be considered if we do?

If not, we can just plan our own southern TM meet :eyebrows: I'm pretty sure we can find some decent facilities around CMP or VIR :) Roebling Road and Road Atlanta are optional too but will most likely cost a lot more.

As mentioned for 23, being only our 2nd year managing the event, we will be leaning toward established SDAC Chapter's for their help. Great Lakes helped a ton this year and we appreciate the help and support a local chapter can provide for the event.

With that said, if you're seriously interested in helping out for a future event of any kind, lets talk, e-mail is best :thumb:

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe you enthusiastic southerners could get on with a late fall "final fling" event, the other end of the year to SDAC, when the weather is beginning to suck up north and your temps are more sensible... something of an open to all regional event... and maybe "last chance for the winter builds" swap meet.

Orangetona
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM

I agree about SDAC 17, the heat was TERRIBLE lol. I wanted to die. I remember the drags and sitting under the pavilion. The drivers couldnt have been happy either.

dodgeshadowchik
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Ahhh yes, the Woodward Dream Cruise. The largest one day auto event in the world! Over 25,000 cars on display, over 1 million people attending. And while the official day is the event, the cruising starts about 2 weeks before.

If any of you haven't ever attended the Woodward Dream Cruise, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. It is an amazing thing.

Barry

Indeed. :) Nothing compares to this event!

While California may be blessed with nice weather all year, my post was made in response to the "aura" surrounding the "D" when it comes to cars. This is true..... there's so much history there and the love for the automobile is almost like ingrained in the state. But that'll happen when the domestic automakers are based in the SE MI area.

So much so that.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ0YHyDVrj4

:)

glhs0075
07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I have to agree with MB. SDAC 22 was my first time in Detroit, and I was really struck by the "aura". There is definitely a sense of automotive history that one gets when they enter Detroit. Seeing the new Dodge Darts with manufacturer plates on them, driving Woodward Ave., passing the "Belvedere" plant on the way home, seeing street names like "Chrysler Ave.", experiencing the SDAC Tech Session, etc...

Spycker
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Not yett dunn ha! 40424404254042640427

moparman76_69
07-04-2012, 05:23 PM

This is socal and this is what we do(every week-end)

this is the Bay Area and this is how we roll! NORCAL FTW

This is Indy this is how we do it...

http://wthr.images.worldnow.com/images/18560021_BG2.jpg

Yeah that's like over eleventybillion hp in rice in one parking lot....

http://www.wthr.com/story/18560021/neighbors-angered-over-south-side-street-racing

Oh and:

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/rcs_sidelines/Indy%20500%20pic2.jpg

Spycker
07-04-2012, 08:19 PM
This is Indy this is how we do it...

http://wthr.images.worldnow.com/images/18560021_BG2.jpg

Yeah that's like over eleventybillion hp in rice in one parking lot....

So..street racing " term " over there is just speeding up and down that avenue????

this is me filming " street racing "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVKL0sWOIQc

turbovanmanČ
07-04-2012, 08:29 PM

"Somethong" When did this become another gazer thread? :confused:

this is the Bay Area and this is how we roll! NORCAL FTW 404074040840409

Socal and Norcal FTMFW, lol.

Up until 89... I thought 90 didnt have?

1st gen had them so 91+ don't have them, aka 2nd gen's.

85boostbox
07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I agree about detroit. I was born and raised there and there is no place like it for cars. Maryland would be nice cause it is close to me now but detroit would be better cause hey I am from there. I would get to see fmaily and all of the above. And on top of that mmm Lafayette Coney Island.

85boostbox
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
ANd let me add again. Plus the like 4 junkyards that I can think of off the top of my head, Taylor Auto Salvage, KW next door and parts galore both locations that usually there is something turbo in those yards.

shackwrrr
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM

The velocity they produce is pathetic though

moparman76_69
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
So..street racing " term " over there is just speeding up and down that avenue????

Actually no one races up and down that avenue at all, the stupid news and people around think ricers acting douchey in a parking lot is street racing. Very little actual racing happens around here.

Spycker
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
LOL! 4BANGER with EXHAUST MUST BE FAST AND A STREET RACER! THEY ARE LOUD! MUST BE FAST!

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
the stupid news and people around think ricers acting douchey in a parking lot is street racing. Well if they don't manufacture a problem, Mr Politician is gonna have to come up with solutions to the hard stuff.

22shelby
07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
If you happen to be out cruising Woodward ave, and see a cute girl with a chevy hat and a goofy looking mopar guy cruising around in a drop top blue mustang, watch out thems mean bidness!!! Lol...

omni_840
07-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Love the idea of a southern meet.....Tail of the Dragon anyone???

Wiscoballer
07-05-2012, 12:14 AM
anybody looked into an Illinois SDAC? I know Chicagoland is bustling with planners, Belvidere tour would be cool (see the new generation of Turbo Mopars) and lots of drag strips

cordes
07-05-2012, 12:23 AM
anybody looked into an Illinois SDAC? I know Chicagoland is bustling with planners, Belvidere tour would be cool (see the new generation of Turbo Mopars) and lots of drag strips

SDAC 21 was in the northern IL/WI border area near Chicago.

Force Fed Mopar
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
As mentioned for 23, being only our 2nd year managing the event, we will be leaning toward established SDAC Chapter's for their help. Great Lakes helped a ton this year and we appreciate the help and support a local chapter can provide for the event.

With that said, if you're seriously interested in helping out for a future event of any kind, lets talk, e-mail is best :thumb:

Yeah I figured that, was thinking maybe by 24 or 25 you guys would have the hang of it well enough to start moving out a bit. I will start looking into things and get with you some time. I figure between our local club, the NC chapter and the FL chapter, maybe we can all get together and make it happen.

Maybe you enthusiastic southerners could get on with a late fall "final fling" event, the other end of the year to SDAC, when the weather is beginning to suck up north and your temps are more sensible... something of an open to all regional event... and maybe "last chance for the winter builds" swap meet.

It has been thought of :)

That's what I'm talking about :nod: Fun Rally in the mountains!

RoadWarrior222
07-05-2012, 07:06 AM
If you happen to be out cruising Woodward ave, and see a cute girl with a chevy hat and a goofy looking mopar guy cruising around in a drop top blue mustang, watch out thems mean bidness!!! Lol...LOL ... JT & MB sitting in a pony, C-R-U-I-S-I-N-G

DodgeZdad
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah I figured that, was thinking maybe by 24 or 25 you guys would have the hang of it well enough to start moving out a bit. I will start looking into things and get with you some time. I figure between our local club, the NC chapter and the FL chapter, maybe we can all get together and make it happen.

It has been thought of :)

That's what I'm talking about :nod: Fun Rally in the mountains!

Tail of the Dragon, BMW Road Track, 1/8 mile track that can be rented cheaply, and Hotels dying for business.

omni_840
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Will SDAC rent an 1/8 mile track?

DodgeZdad
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Will SDAC rent an 1/8 mile track?
Don't know, but they are a lot of fun!

Force Fed Mopar
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Pretty sure SDAC will always want a 1/4 mile track. Could be wrong though.

Ondonti
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
West Coast people should attempt their own event (which I don't see happening) before posting anything about a national event (which would end up as an off year for everyone on the east coast). Other platforms do west coast events, its life. Population density, etc.

Pictures posted here are pretty weak. We can bring thousands of cars when it finally stops raining. Cabin Fever motivates.

omni_840
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Pretty sure SDAC will always want a 1/4 mile track. Could be wrong though.

Pretty much what I thought......

Spycker
07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
West Coast people should attempt their own event (which I don't see happening) before posting anything about a national event (which would end up as an off year for everyone on the east coast). Other platforms do west coast events, its life. Population density, etc.

Sweet! way to bark down on west coast people!

BadAssPerformance
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Comments on some of the above...

1/4 is obviously prefered, however, 1/8 mile may be considered. In the SDAC-22 survey, we included a question which addressed this exact concern.

We hold the SDAC annual events in support of our SDAC National member base. For example, SDAC-22 participation was ~85% members. This will obviously be taken into consideration when planning future events as our goal is first and foremost to support our members.

I love the idea of more chapter/regional events like OVC's Turbopalooza and DV's Cecil County Fun Day!

135sohc
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I would be up for assisting in doing another MD/VA area gathering.

ForzaV12
07-06-2012, 03:24 AM

We are "over it" out here. Plenty of world class automotive events out west to entertain ourselves with year round-SDAC members are clustered in one area of the country for the most part and need to stay near there for economic reasons-no worries, we wish you well, the open road beckons.

omni_840
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
We are "over it" out here. Plenty of world class automotive events out west to entertain ourselves with year round-SDAC members are clustered in one area of the country for the most part and need to stay near there for economic reasons-no worries, we wish you well, the open road beckons.

I don't understand why the local clubs don't set-up regional SDAC meets.....sounds like they do the leg work already. Look at it like practice for the big national meet. It would be a good way for the local club to market their region and show the country"look at what we could put together"

BTW if I had a local SDAC I would be much more involved, but the closest regional chapter is over 4 hours away

GLHSKEN
07-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Comments on some of the above...

1/4 is obviously prefered, however, 1/8 mile may be considered. In the SDAC-22 survey, we included a question which addressed this exact concern.

We hold the SDAC annual events in support of our SDAC National member base. For example, SDAC-22 participation was ~85% members. This will obviously be taken into consideration when planning future events as our goal is first and foremost to support our members.

I love the idea of more chapter/regional events like OVC's Turbopalooza and DV's Cecil County Fun Day!..You forgot "SPRING FLING"

black86glhs
07-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Myrtle Beach in 2013!

RoadWarrior222
07-07-2012, 08:18 AM
SDAC on the ocean... sounds fun... might even be able to persuade the wife it's the vacation I've been promising to take her on :D

Anyone ever thought of convening a wive's committee to arrange some parallel activities, like trips out to interesting/fun things to do in the area?

BadAssPerformance
07-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Anyone ever thought of convening a wive's committee to arrange some parallel activities, like trips out to interesting/fun things to do in the area?

We always try to list alternative activities in the info packet in the goody bags. A few went to the Lingenfelter Museum, others went to the Ford Museum and one day a group went to the Detroit Zoo on a side outting!

Spycker
07-08-2012, 12:11 AM
what local chapter is here in Northern California? or California in General? whos in Nevada? Las Vegas?

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
what local chapter is here in Northern California? or California in General? whos in Nevada? Las Vegas?

SoCal, AZ and PNW... Utah has been workng on one as well.

Current SDAC Chapters (needing an update soon) are listed here:

http://www.sdac.org/info/chapters.htm

30 PSI SHADOW
07-08-2012, 08:34 AM

:lol:

30 PSI SHADOW
07-08-2012, 08:57 AM

actually, as i mentioned in the past, the mustang SVO club has their convention in chattanooga TN. the tail is not very far from there. besides,be kinda cool to share the tracks with another old school turbo club. be more affordable too..

BoostedDrummer
07-08-2012, 10:11 AM
actually, as i mentioned in the past, the mustang SVO club has their convention in chattanooga TN. the tail is not very far from there. besides,be kinda cool to share the tracks with another old school turbo club. be more affordable too..

I like the idea of pitting 2.2T's against some 2.3T's :eyebrows: Maybe next year I won't be deployed so I can actually attend one of these dern things :nod:

T-Bohn
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM

I like this idea. I really like the SVO's and test drove at the dealer back in 86 or so.

Do they like our cars?? Would this be a possible event, not an SDAC replacment but an addition?

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I like this idea. I really like the SVO's and test drove at the dealer back in 86 or so.

Do they like our cars?? Would this be a possible event, not an SDAC replacment but an addition?

Not sure if the SVO crowd likes our cars or not, but I'm sure they can relate as they are as much outcasts in the Ford world as we are in the Mopar world.

Any event is possible, especially if it is in addition to the annual SDAC convention... and this is where SDAC chapters come in to organize regional events like a "Tail of the Dragon" meet, etc... Heck, Dave and I have talked for years about doing the Rt 66 trek from Chicago to LA, how cool would that be to have a heard of SD's and TM's cruising across country!

RoadWarrior222
07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Iceland is broke right, how much to rent Iceland for a week, including their Air Force to fly us in???

86seeS
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I really like the idea of an sd, tm, svo tail of the dragon meet that would be awesome!

Force Fed Mopar
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
There are a lot of car clubs that have yearly meets at the Dragon. Even if not for an SDAC event we might be able to set up a weekend meet for those who want to or for those who can't make SDAC. Kinda like a South-Eastern event.

30 PSI SHADOW
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
This a letter that i received from the president of SVOCA. seems like they would be easy to work with.

Hi Bill.

We just had our national meet this year, we had 43 cars (which is a little down), and a few that showed up without cars.
This year we were in Chattanooga TN..

Since our cars keep getting older, we’ve started doing auto-crosses, instead of track days. Auto-crosses are a little easier on the cars, and they are cheaper as well.

We do sometimes during the year setup a track-day for those that want to attend, but it’s separate from our yearly event.

We have in the past invited other groups, or done a dual event, but we’ve had issues with other groups not wanting to ‘do what we do’ and so we’ve found it’s just easier to do our own thing.

I’ve copied the rest of our board of directors on this email, so they can comment if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Thanks
Eric C
SVOCA Webmaster
www.svoca.com (http://www.svoca.com)

From: udloozcs@aol.com [mailto:udloozcs@aol.com (udloozcs@aol.com?)]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:40 AM
To: eric@svoca.com
Subject: hello eric

Greetings,
My name is bill baker, i am a member of the Shelby Dodge auto Club, and president of the New England Chapter. I was enjoying your website, and noticed that your club has a yearly reunion. I was curious on how many people attend this. Our club has a national meet during the month of june. www.sdac.org (http://www.sdac.org) Our attendance ranges from 50 -100 cars depending on the location. Track prices have been getting high lately, and i wondered if that was an issue with your club. there has been thoughts have been thrown around about combining with other clubs.
Has your club ever talked about doing something like this?

thanks for your time...

http://presence.mail.aol.com/mailsig/?sn=udloozcs Bill Baker
NESDAC President
Rutland Vermont

glhs0075
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I doubt that I'll be able to attend 23. But I have to admit, the idea of a friendly 2.3T vs. 2.2T rivalry happening is intriguing. I think it could be a lot of fun.

shackwrrr
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I dont know what the big thing about tail of the dragon is, Where I live there are just as many curves but with no cops and very little traffic. Also we have dirt roads that would scare a WRC driver.

http://goo.gl/maps/zsB6

BoostedDrummer
07-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Not sure if the SVO crowd likes our cars or not, but I'm sure they can relate as they are as much outcasts in the Ford world as we are in the Mopar world.

I ran into a guy who had an SVO at a burger joint in San Antonio called Biffs where at least 50 cars gather each friday night, he was as much interested in my (at the time) Shelby Charger that I was in his SVO. Even had the chance to run him on the highway on the return home.. needless to say, I lost:( T1 charger es no bueno to his intercooled 2.3. I think it'd be pretty sweet to have a combined meet with them. A combined Ford and SD/TM meet would be an homage to Shelby himself and, in my opinion, especially after his passing, peeps need to be ejimuhcated.:nod:

On a side note, I think we're more of an "incast" anyways. We didn't have a production V8 Daytona at the same time as the 2.2T to compete or try to compare ourselves with unlike their GT's

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
There are a lot of car clubs that have yearly meets at the Dragon. Even if not for an SDAC event we might be able to set up a weekend meet for those who want to or for those who can't make SDAC. Kinda like a South-Eastern event.

Sound like a good idea for a regional event. We have folsk interested in a Mid-TN and/or resurgence of the Mid South Chapter, who knows, with enough interest ina few years it could turn into a future SDAC Convention location. The OVC Chapter started with their Spring Fling and Turbopalooza and then hosted SDAC-15... the recipie works

This a letter that i received from the president of SVOCA. seems like they would be easy to work with.
We have in the past invited other groups, or done a dual event, but we’ve had issues with other groups not wanting to ‘do what we do’ and so we’ve found it’s just easier to do our own thing.

Thanks for the leg work Bill, could be a possibility. Interesting their issues are common with what I have heard about every other group "doing their own thing" as we would typicaly do with our annual event as well. I guess thats why each car club is special in that they each have the things and format that they have come to like. Definitely a possibility.

I dont know what the big thing about tail of the dragon is

Good marketing and fan base. There are definitely good roads elsewhere, but they figured out a nice way to sell theirs.

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
On a side note, I think we're more of an "incast" anyways. We didn't have a production V8 Daytona at the same time as the 2.2T to compete or try to compare ourselves with unlike their GT's

Yeah, also true... the problem is that the "Mopar" crowd shows little love for anything after 1974 up to the LX cars, LOL. And the SVO's had no connection to Shelby so are not much part of the Ford or Shelby Ford crowds. Definite similarities. But then again, we have similarities to those that put LS1's in RX-7's which are badass little hotrods but not too welcome at the RX7 meets or Camaro meets, LOL.

In all seriousness, the way I would see it, for us to combine our Annual SDAC National meet with another group, (last time was SDAC-16 in Topeka with the SRT Nats) we will run our own schedule and the other group would be welcome to be a part of it. Now knowing what it takes to have a successful event, this would be the preffered route. I am not even sure it could happen though. We have actually invited the neons group that they could come out to our events and they never took us up on it. Yes, each group does their own thing.

omni_840
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I dont know what the big thing about tail of the dragon is, Where I live there are just as many curves but with no cops and very little traffic. Also we have dirt roads that would scare a WRC driver.http://goo.gl/maps/zsB6

As JT said a lot of it is Marketing, but they are also have the accomodations for large groups of people. They are also in a good location to draw crowds from the all over. I do agree about there being plenty of other places with twisties, there are a couple of roads near my house that are awesome and I live in an unicorporated town meaning only county's and state police and I rarely see police, but I honestly think it wouldn't be a great location for an event due to the lack of activites related to car enthusiasts.

zin
07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
In regards to combining, perhaps something of a hybrid is in order? By this I'm suggesting combining the expensive elements, track rentals, etc. With the more specific stuff like car shows and awards being left to each group. We might book the same hotel if it would provide better rates.

If there are things we both want to do but lack the manpower etc, it could be made possible together.

As you can tell, I like the concept, I guess the question is can it be effectively executed and is something like this a little premature given the recent changes, might be something for SDAC 24

Mike

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2012, 09:30 PM
In regards to combining, perhaps something of a hybrid is in order? By this I'm suggesting combining the expensive elements, track rentals, etc. With the more specific stuff like car shows and awards being left to each group. We might book the same hotel if it would provide better rates.

If there are things we both want to do but lack the manpower etc, it could be made possible together.

As you can tell, I like the concept, I guess the question is can it be effectively executed and is something like this a little premature given the recent changes, might be something for SDAC 24

Mike

This is sort of how we did SDAC-16 in Topeka piggy backing on the SRT Nats. They had a much larger group and the track rental rental and we just had our participants register for their track events. We actually had seperate car shows although I think a couple of our folks might have participated in both as it was included with SRT Nats registration. We did have seperate host hotels, each with their own benefits (funny thing, our lot was active all night as usual and their parking lot was barren by 9pm), however for any future scenario, group size would dictate if one hotel could house all participants.

The concept is good, and definitely will be under consideration for future events.

We needto keep in mind that there are downsides as well. This year, so we could have one on our agenda, we combined the Auto X with the local regional SCCA event. It went very well and our folks were welcomed, however, we did hear such comments as "it didn't have the SDAC feel" from multiple people... this is always a concern and we like to have our events be "our" event whenever possible.

30 PSI SHADOW
07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
i think the track rental would be the most logical combination. Hell, renting a road course could actually be a REALITY! But yes, everything else would be up to each group.
for the strip, all compitition would be separate( quick 16 etc) then TandT open to any car.
The Monster question is, is our club willing to have SDAC at a different time than the end of june. which group would be willing to change?

sdac guy
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Certainly it all remains to be seen, and I have never been one to try to dampen anyone's enthusiasm :D, but typical road courses with insurance run $10-12K per day. To make that a break even type thing, at least 50-60 people paying $200 each are needed. The most we've ever had while I had the club was at Waterford Hills for SDAC-18, where we had 26 paid at $200 each. Even the instructors paid that year. If we don't count the instructors, we had about 18 of our folk run the course. Now Waterford is probably the cheapest road course that can be had as the total charge from them was $4000 for the day including insurance. We more than broke even that day, but if the instructors were not included, we would have lost a few hundred bucks.

At SDAC-14 for the road course we got another deal. Phil Wickes was holding an event at Blackhawk Farms for the Mini-Cooper folks. We had priced Blackhawk Farms and they wanted $10K for a day and we had to provide proof of insurance (another $2500 or so). Phil already had 2 days sold out at 100 cars per day, so he graciously added a day for us and some of the Mini folks ran as well. Phil told me he didn't care if he made any money on the event, so long as he broke even. And with the 2 days he already had booked, even if nobody showed up, the third day was still in the black. For us, the charge was only $200 each, and that day we had 12 of our folk take advantage of the deal.

So when you discuss a road course event, the scale of how many are participating (not how many say they want it, but those that actually turn out and pay for the event) comes into play before signing the contract should even be considered. At Topeka - SDAC-16, we didn't pay for any track time, our guys registered for the track events through the SRT club. That made a no risk situation for us, which was a good thing. Unfortunately, the guy from the SRT club took a bath in the expenses with a much smaller turnout than he needed. He did have some major sponsors for his event, and without them he would have been tens of thousands of bucks in debt.

It all comes down to this reality, to get a road course with another group, they must fill the expense with their own folks, and then if some of our guys turn out for it, that will just be extra for them. And I feel we should never offer to share the expense, only to register for their event.

Barry

cordes
07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
That's the hard truth of the matter. We just don't have enough guys to do a road course on our own unless there are special circumstances.

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2012, 01:17 PM
A local loosely associated car club called club129 is running lap days every so often for $200 a car, limit of 20 cars, open to all, pay up front ... is that the sort of numbers we're talking about? Think they usually manage to fill all the spots. They post it all round the local forums though. So does it work that way? Maybe take SDAC pre-regs only up until a month then throw it open to the locals to fill it up? May depend on how many open lapping events occur there, if it's a rare thing, you'll fill up quick.

30 PSI SHADOW
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
i recently priced out Lime Rock in CT. Grouping with another club, they shot a price of $7400. unfourtunately that was without insurance. I do agree that that needs to be about 2-3k cheaper to make it worth looking into.

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Wonder if one could get a combo deal with one of those motorsports parks type places occupy for whole day, lapping from early until 2 or 3ish, drags from then until late.

sdac guy
07-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Wonder if one could get a combo deal with one of those motorsports parks type places occupy for whole day, lapping from early until 2 or 3ish, drags from then until late.Many places like that use the drag strip as part of the road course (IRP in Indy, Heartland Park in Topeka, for example). Those places can reconfigure the track overnight, but rarely can turn it around in a couple hours (we've asked before).

A local loosely associated car club called club129 is running lap days every so often for $200 a car, limit of 20 cars, open to all, pay up front ... is that the sort of numbers we're talking about? Think they usually manage to fill all the spots. They post it all round the local forums though. So does it work that way? Maybe take SDAC pre-regs only up until a month then throw it open to the locals to fill it up? May depend on how many open lapping events occur there, if it's a rare thing, you'll fill up quick. Would really need to know more about the situation. Most tracks require a group to provide proof of insurance. Some tracks will provide it with the fee (like Waterford Hills). A few tracks will allow a local group to run without liability insurance. But in that case, the folks putting on the event risk losing everything they own if there should be an injury accident, and usually it doesn't matter if a waiver is signed or not.

Most drag strips these days include liability insurance, while most road courses do not. For autocross, it is mandatory to have the local SCCA cooperation as just the cost of insurance for the day would make it impossible to hold it on our own. With the SCCA backing it and organizing it, they usually allow our event to get on their policy for the day for a modest fee per car (as happened in Maryland at SDAC-20 where the local SCCA region held an event for us).

Barry

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Guess there might be a difference due to it being in Canada, I've no idea really how they operate as regards insurance. All I know about it is their ads for the lap days and hearing a few peeps say what fun it was, the odd vid etc. This is where they run http://www.canadiantiremotorsportpark.com/ they aren't a very formal club, only really have a blog type page... clubonetwonine.com

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Hmmm just realised that place has open test days... that might be something to look into for other tracks... finding one that just happens to have a test day near the SDAC weekend.

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Hmmm just thinking, back in the UK, local clubs used to up affiliate with the RAC, and that was about the only way to get event insurance (without posting bonds with lots of zeroes)... just wondering if there's any opportunities to affiliate SDAC under something like FIA or something to get the same deals.

Edit: as part of that deally, members were issued an RAC clubman competition license, which was pretty much the insurance card on a sanctioned event.

dodgeshadowchik
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, this is 'Merica... land of the sue-happy. So that pretty much ruins everything.

168glhs1986
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Certainly it all remains to be seen, and I have never been one to try to dampen anyone's enthusiasm :D, but typical road courses with insurance run $10-12K per day. To make that a break even type thing, at least 50-60 people paying $200 each are needed. The most we've ever had while I had the club was at Waterford Hills for SDAC-18, where we had 26 paid at $200 each. Even the instructors paid that year. If we don't count the instructors, we had about 18 of our folk run the course. Now Waterford is probably the cheapest road course that can be had as the total charge from them was $4000 for the day including insurance. We more than broke even that day, but if the instructors were not included, we would have lost a few hundred bucks.

At SDAC-14 for the road course we got another deal. Phil Wickes was holding an event at Blackhawk Farms for the Mini-Cooper folks. We had priced Blackhawk Farms and they wanted $10K for a day and we had to provide proof of insurance (another $2500 or so). Phil already had 2 days sold out at 100 cars per day, so he graciously added a day for us and some of the Mini folks ran as well. Phil told me he didn't care if he made any money on the event, so long as he broke even. And with the 2 days he already had booked, even if nobody showed up, the third day was still in the black. For us, the charge was only $200 each, and that day we had 12 of our folk take advantage of the deal.

So when you discuss a road course event, the scale of how many are participating (not how many say they want it, but those that actually turn out and pay for the event) comes into play before signing the contract should even be considered. At Topeka - SDAC-16, we didn't pay for any track time, our guys registered for the track events through the SRT club. That made a no risk situation for us, which was a good thing. Unfortunately, the guy from the SRT club took a bath in the expenses with a much smaller turnout than he needed. He did have some major sponsors for his event, and without them he would have been tens of thousands of bucks in debt.

It all comes down to this reality, to get a road course with another group, they must fill the expense with their own folks, and then if some of our guys turn out for it, that will just be extra for them. And I feel we should never offer to share the expense, only to register for their event.

Barry

I'm sure we can find a local track day to particpate in.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/calendar?booLimit=false

sdac guy
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm sure we can find a local track day to particpate in.
Sure can! In fact at SDAC-14 we just stumbled onto the fact that Phil Wickes was having an event at BHF coincidental with our event.

But even more, folks that really have a desire to run on a road course should seek out open track days on their own, at their own local track. Many groups will allow public entry to run (providing the car passes tech). Since it seems to be the rare occasion that SDAC can get a road course track day, it sort of seems unfair to put the burden on the club to fulfill the desires of only a handful of folks. If we had as many folks interested in running a road course as we do drag racing, it would be much easier to plan and hold such an event, but sadly, that is not nearly the case.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
...just wondering if there's any opportunities to affiliate SDAC under something like FIA or something to get the same deals.

FIA? We'd have to up our membership a bit...

...If we had as many folks interested in running a road course as we do drag racing, it would be much easier to plan and hold such an event, but sadly, that is not nearly the case.

This is the major point as why we do not have more... if we have 50 people ready to run a road course at whatever the price would be, we'd have one every year.

Force Fed Mopar
07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I want to say that CMP wanted $4500 for a day for some reason, but their site says call for info now instead of having it listed on the page, so it may have gone up. I'll call sometime and find out.

Wondering why more people don't want to run on a road course? I know a fair few have their car set up for the drags, but many of the cars I saw at SDAC were normal street cars that would do well in either. And it's not like you have to go all out like an actual race, it's just going out and having fun and seeing what you/your car can do. There is no need to push your comfort level, just let the faster cars on by.

168glhs1986
07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Sure can! In fact at SDAC-14 we just stumbled onto the fact that Phil Wickes was having an event at BHF coincidental with our event.

But even more, folks that really have a desire to run on a road course should seek out open track days on their own, at their own local track. Many groups will allow public entry to run (providing the car passes tech). Since it seems to be the rare occasion that SDAC can get a road course track day, it sort of seems unfair to put the burden on the club to fulfill the desires of only a handful of folks. If we had as many folks interested in running a road course as we do drag racing, it would be much easier to plan and hold such an event, but sadly, that is not nearly the case.

Barry

Trust me we all understand the demand to $ aspect of a track day event. For those interested seek out a local track day during sdac and it will costs sdac zero. And local may mean a 2 hour drive one way. Let the track day organizer pay for the track insurance and sdac won't have to get involved. Since the demand is just not there its going to have to be a grassroots type effort on the few that want to partake. For those who have never tried its a must do once in your lifetime. No street driving can simulate a track day.

omni_840
07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
^^That sounds like a good idea

sdac guy
07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Trust me we all understand the demand to $ aspect of a track day event. For those interested seek out a local track day during sdac and it will costs sdac zero. And local may mean a 2 hour drive one way. Let the track day organizer pay for the track insurance and sdac won't have to get involved.But you seem to be missing my point a little, its not only about the $. It seems you want SDAC to search out these events and then let our folks know they are available. I'm saying there doesn't seem to be enough interest to warrant that search on the club's part. Please don't count on SDAC or the local host chapter to do this legwork.

For example while Craig had contact info for some guys in the local SCCA region (regarding an autocross), and he was going to contact them about helping us hold an event, it was Johnny on here that pointed out to us the autocross that was held on Saturday before this year's event (and Johnny couldn't even attend our event). So then Craig followed up on that lead. And as it turned out, they were not willing to help us hold our own event, but they were willing to let us attend their event.

But the downside of most local track days is that they are held on the weekend. So if folks don't come to SDAC on Friday, they most likely will miss the local road course event. And if it is held on Sunday, then folks would have to choose between the car show and the road course.

There is nothing at all that would stop someone like you from doing such a search online and then post on here what you've found prior to our event taking place. That would be a very welcome thing! And if the notice were given early enough I am sure JT & Dave would not have any problem including that in the newsletter so members would know in advance and could make plans.

I'm not happy with the way I worded all of this. It sounds heavy handed at the beginning and I don't mean it like that, but right now I am at a loss to phrase it differently. :nod:

Barry

168glhs1986
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
But you seem to be missing my point a little, its not only about the $. It seems you want SDAC to search out these events and then let our folks know they are available. I'm saying there doesn't seem to be enough interest to warrant that search on the club's part. Please don't count on SDAC or the local host chapter to do this legwork.

For example while Craig had contact info for some guys in the local SCCA region (regarding an autocross), and he was going to contact them about helping us hold an event, it was Johnny on here that pointed out to us the autocross that was held on Saturday before this year's event (and Johnny couldn't even attend our event). So then Craig followed up on that lead. And as it turned out, they were not willing to help us hold our own event, but they were willing to let us attend their event.

But the downside of most local track days is that they are held on the weekend. So if folks don't come to SDAC on Friday, they most likely will miss the local road course event. And if it is held on Sunday, then folks would have to choose between the car show and the road course.

There is nothing at all that would stop someone like you from doing such a search online and then post on here what you've found prior to our event taking place. That would be a very welcome thing! And if the notice were given early enough I am sure JT & Dave would not have any problem including that in the newsletter so members would know in advance and could make plans.

I'm not happy with the way I worded all of this. It sounds heavy handed at the beginning and I don't mean it like that, but right now I am at a loss to phrase it differently. :nod:

Barry

It's all good Barry. I agree 100%. Once the site and dates are announced I will post up the local and not so local track events. Also Monday lapping days are becoming more popular with clubs due to track availibility and lowered track rental fees. So maybe we'll get lucky.