PDA

View Full Version : Some Quick Questions

forged
06-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Hello there, I am new to the forums. I have a quick question. I have an 86 daytona turbo z. I pulled the motor last month and have gotten some parts for the build. I have +40 injectors, 2 piece intake, Sperico intercooler, Holset He351 Turbo, Getting it bored .020 over, have venolia forged pistons(.020), 3 Inch swing valve and 3 inch down-pipe, but have not gotten anything for the top end for my car's rebuild. Also what computer should I run with all of this? And also where could I get that computer from? What would be a good top end setup for my car with the above parts installed? And how much power could I expect from all this? I am also looking to put a 5 speed in it. I haven't thought about what one to get.. However. If you could help me choose what 5 speed to get that would be great. Much Appreciated :) THANK YOU

Shadowjake
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
That should be a pretty killer setup so far!

For the computer, the best thing to do is just replace the factory chip with a socket (so you can pull the ship in and out) and get a custom calibration from boostbutton.com. Socketing isn't that hard but you have to be very careful when removing the old chip and solder; I fubared my computer the first time. Do a search on google for "socket SMEC turbo dodge" and the procedure should pop right up.

For the top end, the vendors (turbosunleashed, FWD Performance, MTX performance, etc) sell decent ported heads or Steve Menegon (badfastGTS is his screen name on here I think) does incredible work porting. So does Todd Nelson (4-Lbodies screen name). There are many options here.

You should probably think about a better flowing exhaust manifold too. Either a ported stocker or a header if you can find one. That is probably the most restrictive part on these cars (besides the head).

I have no idea how much power you could expect. Only a dyno can tell you that probably. As for the tranny, You should look for a 555 or 568 since they are the strongest. The 520 and 523's are probably next best. Check out www.thedodgegarage.com for more details and differences. Make sure you get the shift linkage too since most are all different.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Keito
06-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Click on my username and go to my gallery, I have a few pics of installing a Holset on a TD.
You won't use a 3" swingvalve and you'll have to make a custom downpipe, I'll try to get pics of that as well.
If a few weeks I'm going to write up a list of all the parts I used.

forged
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Okay, Thank you both for your time! This has got me thinking though... should i even use the holset turbo then? What would be another turbo you guys would recommend to use?

turbovanmanČ
06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
I also offer porting on heads so that's another option. I sell a Super60 roller cam and the vendors also offer other cams too but this all depends on your goals, so what are they?

You'll have to do a bit of converting, IE wiring as your going from a log to a blow thru setup. I would also run a 52 or 58mm throttle body.

Nothing wrong with your turbo of choice, but again, what are your goals and we can point you in the right direction.

555, 523 or 568 are the transmission's your looking for.

Have the piston clearance set at .0035-.004" otherwise it will be noisey.