PDA

View Full Version : Bad struts do this?

86lance
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
i know my front struts needs replacing because the car rides like a damn cadillac going down the highway with 12 illegals in it but alot of times when i go over a bump while going around a gentle bend the car will want to jump into the next lane practically. Some times it happens when i go over a bump at highway speeds. as well. Im guessing thats the road pushing the whole car almost into the air rather than the strut absorbing the impact causing it to lose traction then regain it as it comes back down. Sound right?

86lance
08-07-2006, 04:41 PM
ive also ruled out my balljoints,tierod ends, and inner tie rods as there is no play in them.. However my swaybar bushing are shot. Could the bad swaybar bushings being the crap they are cause the car to bounce and lose track as well.?

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Sway bar no, but bad struts and springs yes. It can also be worn control arm bushings. Replace with PB units and be done with it, :thumb:

86lance
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
little bit of a relief. the control arm bushing look fairly recent but ill have to look into the more a little bit later. The struts are horrible in this car /rides so bad and feels like riding a power wheels truck with solid tires. At least i only have to replace the struts for now and dont have to remove the control arms yet to do bushings!

Turbodave
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Bad struts and shocks will let it jump all over the place. Also make sure the rear panhard bar isn't bent or broken, that will make the rear end jump around too.

When you replace the struts, plan on doing the upper strut mounts at the same time (about 90% of the time they are shot), may even need upper spring seats too (about 50% of the time these are worn out). I redid the supension on my van and it drives like new now, hardly any rattles clunks or noises, and it stays in it's lane all the time...

86lance
08-08-2006, 05:34 AM
yeah i was thinking about getting the whole deal when i get some cash:( But for now the car is gonna have to sit where it is till i can snag some oil and change the trans fluid out. Nasty brown stuff in there. But on the upside my balljoints and tierods have no play in them on either side so at least nothing press fit needs to come out.!