PDA

View Full Version : Will R/T brakes fit on an ES

Dave
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Will the larger Spirit R/T rotors fit on my ES? Just curious, I need new rotors and I'm looking into slotted and bigger rotors.

Thanks again guys. :)

iTurbo
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes, but you will need the calipers and caliper brackets.

iTurbo
08-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Bryan, I just read noticed that you have an '89 Spirit. In that case, you probably have the earlier style knuckles with the single-pin KH calipers. You can still use R/T brakes, but it would require using the later knuckles and bolt-in style hub assemblies as well. Your existing strut, tie rod, and ball joint would bolt up to the newer knuckle no problem.

Directconnection
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
...but now have mis-matched geometries of the 2 that were not meant to work together (different balljoint positions for example)

What he needs is the '89-90 Shelby Daytona 11" brake setup. These are ok.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Or the 91 and up R/T K-member, knuckles, control arms and brakes.

If you have the dual pivot CA's already, I believe the 91 knuckles will work but the wheel sits further forward. I really need to write this sh*t down.

Turbodave
08-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Just to Clarify, on Bryan's 89 Spirit ES:

The 89 Daytona 11" front and rears will be the easiest swap, The entire knuckle, calipers, rotors, etc. will need to be swapped, but it shouldn't mess with his suspension geometry.

The 91 or Newer 11" R/T brakes can also be made to work, but the suspension geometry changed and the 91 hubs put on his control arm will put the ball joint in an odd position and move the front wheels back in the wheelwell.

If he swapped in the cast control arms from the R/T along with everything else it should work ok. The 89-90 cars use a dual pivot K-frame and the cast arms will swap right in on it.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
If he swapped in the cast control arms from the R/T along with everything else it should work ok. The 89-90 cars use a dual pivot K-frame and the cast arms will swap right in on it.

I didn't know the cast would bolt where the stamped was, are you sure? :p

Turbodave
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I didn't know the cast would bolt where the stamped was, are you sure? :p

Yep, pulled the stamped arms off my 89 Shadow and swapped cast ones into their place about 5 years ago.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Yep, pulled the stamped arms off my 89 Shadow and swapped cast ones into their place about 5 years ago.

More info to store away, lol! :nod:

iTurbo
08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
...but now have mis-matched geometries of the 2 that were not meant to work together (different balljoint positions for example)

What he needs is the '89-90 Shelby Daytona 11" brake setup. These are ok.

Ack I totally forgot, but you are correct. I even did the swap on my own SL using '91 11" setup. At first I used them with the '87 knuckles/K-frame/arms and the only wierd thing I noticed is that the '87 knuckle seemed to sit too high on the ball joint making a gap between the knuckle and control arm. I have since upgraded to all '91 stuff and everything is normal again.

Dave
08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks a sh*tload guys! My brakes are gone. Turns out sparks are even coming off the pads. :mad:

Can't go racing tomorrow now, and I have no money until I get my refund back. :banghead: I'll see if anybody has some 89-90 11" frt G-body brakes. Yah?

capev86
08-12-2006, 12:26 PM
another nice thing about the 91+ setup is the bolt in wheel bearings!!! easy to replace (don't have to remove the whole knuckle and take it to a shop, just buy a new bearing assembly) and makes installing and pulling apart easier too! thanks god all that cool $#!^ fits on an old k car!!!

Turbodave
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
another nice thing about the 91+ setup is the bolt in wheel bearings!!! easy to replace (don't have to remove the whole knuckle and take it to a shop, just buy a new bearing assembly) and makes installing and pulling apart easier too! thanks god all that cool $#!^ fits on an old k car!!!

The 89-90 11" brakes had bolt in wheel bearings also. The 10" brakes were pressed in until 91, like you said.

Xtrempickup
08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
i have the R/T calipers, knuckles and everything if somebody wants to buy them

Speedeuphoria
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Well since I just upgraded my 89 Spirit ES to full Spirit R/T suspension I'll give you some hints(even though you are heading towards the 89 11" swap).

I bolted the K-frame, control arms, knuckles, ect on the frnt. worked great.

Then I tried to bolt the rear R/T solid trailling arm on and it didn't fit. For some reason they changed the mounting pads that hold the trailing arm to the body. The R/T ones are longer and the 3 holes don't line up. After some measuring I found that the actual arms are different lengths and the bushing placement is diff also. So I had to drill 2 more holes in each mounting pad, since the single hole lines up where it is supposed to be. After that everything was golden.