PDA

View Full Version : TIII Opinions please, will this crack [Exhaust Manifold]

Kryp2nitE
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Do you think this will hold up? Holes are just shy of 1/2" edge to edge. Will be used for EGT and Drive Pressure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Kryp2nitE/2012-06-19_13-05-52_177.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Kryp2nitE/2012-06-19_12-53-44_921.jpg

RoadWarrior222
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Stress relieve the edges, use lots of lube and take it slow if you're tapping them out... otherwise your tap will snag and make cracked threads, or start a crack, you want a fresh one that cuts real smooth.

Now, if I were you, I'd use a steel plate between them to help relieve whatever mechanical stress what your bolting in there is creating... because any force that tends to spread apart from the holes, will try to crack out the piece between them, so just a bit more insurance.

glhs727
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
They are already tapped and the holes are only for egt sensors/wires so there isn't any stress on them. Are you are worried that the weight on the turbo on the manifold will somehow stress the manifold area where the egt taps are?

Kryp2nitE
06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Stress relieve the edges, use lots of lube and take it slow if you're tapping them out... otherwise your tap will snag and make cracked threads, or start a crack, you want a fresh one that cuts real smooth.

Now, if I were you, I'd use a steel plate between them to help relieve whatever mechanical stress what your bolting in there is creating... because any force that tends to spread apart from the holes, will try to crack out the piece between them, so just a bit more insurance.

Will keep this in mind

They are already tapped and the holes are only for egt sensors/wires so there isn't any stress on them. Are you are worried that the weight on the turbo on the manifold will somehow stress the manifold area where the egt taps are?

I was more worried about cracks between the holes from heat cycles. When we had talked the plan was do tap two different cylinders to avoid this but if this will work then I am ok with it.

glhs727
06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I think you'd be fine. but if you aren't in a hurry for the manifold, i can do another with the taps seperated....

RoadWarrior222
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
They are already tapped and the holes are only for egt sensors/wires so there isn't any stress on them. yeah should be fine if the connections are flexible... if they've got a lot of steel tube on them, or are they pulled tight on there it might be more of a worry.

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.