PDA

View Full Version : How does my air fuel ratio look? (videos)

Shadowjake
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm new to this tuning thing and am not sure what is normal and not. I just plugged in the new calibration I got from Boost Button and this is how it looks.

What are your thoughts?

I get the flashing CEL for knock at about 12 PSI with part throttle. 91 Octane. I'm afraid to floor it and going closed loop since I'm not sure what will happen. What's the deal. Here's me attempting to make a video of my A/F while accelerating.

http://youtu.be/bMbRZsk6KmU

Here's a video of me at highway cruise going about 50.

http://youtu.be/P0oMwhR9TGA

After warming up, here is the A/F while idling. Is it too lean or is this ok while the computer is learning? I just put the new chip in about 4 miles back.

http://youtu.be/lrmzFrp8PTw

And after I got home, I messed around with the fuel pressure. Cranked it all of the way up (about 75 or so according to my gauge). Then checked the A/F. It got a lot closer to stoich but won't be running my pressure that high. Just curious what it would do. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/WechJs4J9u8

Over time, will the computer compensate and start to hover around 14.7 at idle and cruise? Or is this all normal? Or should I be making changes?

Please chime in. Thanks!

GLHNSLHT2
06-19-2012, 11:55 PM
way too lean at idle and cruise. I'm amazed the car even idles and cruises smooth. You're a bit lean for my taste on acceleration but you really need to do a WOT run to find out for sure.

What's your setup?

What's the af if you go back to a stock cal?

Shadowjake
06-20-2012, 12:19 AM
forged wiseco pistons, +40 injectors, 3" JRB exhaust, ported menegon G head (Flows 206.41 intake, 157.50 exhaust at .500), hybrid turbo (super 50 trim stage 2 turbine, .63ar, 3" swingvalve, stock intake, intercooler, throttle body, 3 bar map, 255lph walbro. That's all I can think of for now engine wise.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Also, it's a 20PSI cal so that's another reason I'm afraid to floor it. I'm getting knock at 12psi and am afraid to grenade this new engine. Maybe I'll hook the wastegate to the manifold so I get lower boost and if I run super rich, maybe it's good at closed loop.

I don't have a stock cal. Could I burn a .bin out of the repository onto a chip? Which one should I use to try? It is a SBEC. Boost control is using the T1 setup with only 1 vacuum line going to the selonoid. I can't really use a stock VNT cal can I?

ShelGame
06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
forged wiseco pistons, +40 injectors, 3" JRB exhaust, ported menegon G head (Flows 206.41 intake, 157.50 exhaust at .500), hybrid turbo (super 50 trim stage 2 turbine, .63ar, 3" swingvalve, stock intake, intercooler, throttle body, 3 bar map, 255lph walbro. That's all I can think of for now engine wise.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Also, it's a 20PSI cal so that's another reason I'm afraid to floor it. I'm getting knock at 12psi and am afraid to grenade this new engine. Maybe I'll hook the wastegate to the manifold so I get lower boost and if I run super rich, maybe it's good at closed loop.

I don't have a stock cal. Could I burn a .bin out of the repository onto a chip? Which one should I use to try? It is a SBEC. Boost control is using the T1 setup with only 1 vacuum line going to the selonoid. I can't really use a stock VNT cal can I?

You can use a stock VNT cal (for testing), but it won't control the boost.

I can't see the video here at work (they block everything, sheesh). But, at 12psi, it should already be open loop, not closed loop. It switches to closed loop above ~4psi boost. But, if you're still part throttle, it will be using the P/T timing which is more aggressive (by maybe 2 degrees) than the WOT timing.

Also, the P/T boost is set to be only 10psi. So, it may still be learning the WG Duty Cycle as well.

What fuel are you running?

shackwrrr
06-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Are you using the stock o2 sensor along with the wideband? If so one of them is definitely not working properly. And with your af at wot looking alright then it's probably your stock o2. Also an exhaust leak before the wideband will drive it funky at idle and cruise. Try blocking the tailpipe at idle and see what it reads.

Shadowjake
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Are you using the stock o2 sensor along with the wideband?

Yes. The stock one is being used. wide band only runs my gauge. Is there a way to test the stock O2? Or wouldn't it throw a code or default to rich tables if it was bad? I did re-use the old sensor after the rebuild since it looked good. Maybe I should just pick one up just in case.

I can't see the video here at work

Rob, according to my wide band, the AF is at high 18s and low 19s while cruising down the highway, and idles in the mid 17 to 18s. Under part throttle accelleration and about 10 psi, it richens to about 11-12. Let me know what you think when you can see the video if you would. Thanks.

What fuel are you running?

91 octane. I think it might be ~10% ethanol. I ran it in my SRT4 from the same gas station so I figured it would be fine.

shackwrrr
06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Unless something is majorly fubar the light won't come on, mine wouldn't set even with it unplugged.
You would have to look at the voltage the sensor is putting out to see if its bad. Should switch rapidly from .1-.9 volts but they can work properly but not in the right range like you are seeing, also they can stick rich or lean.

I would check for an exhaust leak at the downpipe though, at 20:1 you would have serious drivability issues.

Shadowjake
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
What's your setup?

Here is my entire setup for what it's worth:

INTAKE:
New T3/T4 Turbonetics turbo
- super 50 trim
- Stage 2 turbine
- .63 A/R
- 3" swing valve

Steve Menegon Ported G head
- oversized valves
- stock roller cam
- stock lifters and followers
- Flows 206.41 intake, 157.50 exhaust at .500

Stock 1 piece intake
Stock intercooler
Stock Throttle body

EXHAUST:
3" turbo back exhaust
- Cat delete
TU Hybrid header

BLOCK/HARDWARE:
+.020 Wiseco pistons
Refurbished TU TII rods
ARP hardware (head studs, main studs, rod studs)
short block was ballanced
Polybushings motor mounts and bobble strut

FUEL:
255 lph Walbro fuel pump
+40% fuel injectors
Accufab AFPR
Stock fuel rail
Stock size fuel lines 5/16 feed, 1/4 return (new)

TRANSMISSION:
Rebuilt Hybrid A555
A520 int shaft and OBX LSD
TU 6 puck with purple plate
lightened flywheel

SUSPENSION:
Poly Lower control arm bushings
Poly Sway bar bushings
custom progressive springs (similar to eibachs)
Koni adjustable shocks and struts
Moog ball joints and tie rod ends