PDA

View Full Version : Have car with cluster and speedo and odometer both out.

Xtrempickup
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
i havent ever driven this car, so i dont know the last time it worked. i swapped out the sensor on the trans 1st and it didnt change anything. i swapped in a different cluster, still no change. im not sure if i have a bad sensor, wiring, or cluster or all the above. this is in my 89 TC by maserati with a 284 5spd. would like to have working speedo at least.

bakes
06-17-2012, 10:53 PM
check the fuse?

RoadWarrior222
06-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Used the right year sensor, or converted correctly? 89 on some other bodies still used a cable.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I guess it's possible PO was gonna swap to later electronics and dash, and put a non-cable sensor in there, but didn't get round to the rest, or the trans came with it. 89 is "one of those" years, stuff different in that department across the range.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Just looked at Rockauto, they're listing non-cable sensor for it, and it looks like an early application of what most other stuff got in 1990-92.

Xtrempickup
06-18-2012, 11:50 AM
89-91 TCs have an electronic sensor in both the auto and 5spd cars with an analog dash. i had an extra sensor that was good from another TC i parted out and i knew the speedo at least worked with the trans that sensor came out of. right now not sure ifs its a wiring issue or both clusters i tried were bad, i have one left im gonna try with both sensors and see what i get. the last cluster i had i know the speedo at least worked, the other 2 i tried i wasnt positive they worked at any point prior. its just a pain in the a$$ to take the cluster out of the dash on the TC just to check if the cluster itself is bad

Xtrempickup
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
well i swapped in the last cluster i had, tried it with both sensors, im gonna figure that the wiring for the speed sensor is some how broken somewhere in the loom

RoadWarrior222
06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, it's old wiring, mine chafed through where the battery was rubbing it in the Voyager, dunno how close they are in a TC... also if it's got a newer looking starter... I've known it happen that idiot franchise chain mechanics will yank on that harness and cause all kinds of mayhem with everything in it , including VSS, lockup, NSS/reverse switch.

Xtrempickup
06-19-2012, 08:17 AM
something for another day, honestly dont need either, i can figure out my speed from the tach and gear im in roughly or use the gps