PDA

View Full Version : Alternator mount interchange compatibility

Oggie Fisher
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a common block 2.5 in a 90 VNT Daytona. I recently swapped the AC alternator mount for an 89 or newer non AC alternator mount. I thought I installed properly but I noticed when I went to time the motor the non AC alternator mount was contacting the intermediate shaft sprocket. Were there any changes in design that would cause this, or (more likely) user error.Thx.

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Sounds like its not aligned properly, they are all the same except for later units have larger bushings.

Johnny
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Make sure that the two bolts that go into the side of it are also going through the aluminum spacer. Sometimes I have see one of the bolts go in front of or behind that spacer and not through the bolt holes. This misaligns things.

Oggie Fisher
06-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your assistance.

I double checked it tonight, reviewed the service manual and it appears to be installed properly. I even tried swapping the original AC alternator bracket back on, but had the same issue - when I tighten the bolts that go through the aluminum spacer and through the bracket into the block the bracket binds against the intermediate shaft sprocket. In this tear down I did not remove the intermediate shaft sprocket, and as it ran before, I don't think the sprocket is the issue.
Is there an additional spacer(s) that go between bracket and mount in addition to the aluminum spacer? It's been a while since I took it apart. 4009640097

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Hmmmm, how are you doing the tightening proceedure?

I bet you have the intermediate sprocket on backwards.

black86glhs
06-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Hmmmm, how are you doing the tightening proceedure?

I bet you have the intermediate sprocket on backwards.Yep, you have it on backwards and it is too far away from the engine.

Oggie Fisher
06-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Thank you again for your help. As I thought about it last night I think I did have the intermediate sprocket off since it last ran.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Yep, you have it on backwards and it is too far away from the engine.

Its on backwards and TOO CLOSE to the engine, :p

black86glhs
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Actually, I think it is on backwards too, but it is too far from the engine and is rubbing on the ear hanging down from the alt bracket.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Actually, I think it is on backwards too, but it is too far from the engine and is rubbing on the ear hanging down from the alt bracket.

Its not to far from the engine, the pulley is too close hence why its on backwards, if you turn the pulley around, it is now spaced further out. Your thinking is backwards, :p

black86glhs
06-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Its not to far from the engine, the pulley is too close hence why its on backwards, if you turn the pulley around, it is now spaced further out. Your thinking is backwards, :pNO, I just went out and verified. He is too far away from the block and cutting into the ear sticking down on the alt bracket.

See how close to the retainer bolt my int sprocket is? His is much further away. Plus, the ear sticking down in the first pic is what he is grinding on and it isn't against the block. It is on the outside of the timing belt.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Ahh, got it, I was thinking backwards, lol, but his pulley is still on wrong, :p

Oggie Fisher
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Everyone was correct - the pulley was on backwards.
I mistakenly thought I hadn't removed it so I didn't consider it initially.
Thanks again for providing a second set of eyes.