PDA

View Full Version : What are the shift points, 3 speed stock 3.0L van?

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Curious what they are and what rpm it shifts at redline?

I am assuming 1/2 gen is the same as 3rd gen?

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Anyone, bueller?

ATaylorRacing
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
When I drag raced my 3.0 Plymouth Duster it ran quicker shifting at 5500 compared to 5750 or a slower yet 6000 rpm. The intakes are different on the vans.

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks Angelo, not too concerned about the drag racing aspect, just shift points as I have a governor from one and curious what they shift at.

RoadWarrior222
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I honestly can't remember what's stock, it shifts at 5500 now...

Could get it to shift up as low as 1500 by feathering throttle.

There would have been some slight refinements to 3rd gens over 1st and 2nd, and some refinements in the 2nd gens over 1st too, like it was 91 i think when they started with the plastic check ball in one hole. You might notice that 2 outa 3 of the holes in the VB separator plate are "pre-modded" as it were.

The 3rd gens were heavier and I think they had a gear ratio change at some point, so might be tuned slightly different... but then I dunno if those changes were in common with the 3 speeds in the neons or not....

I would think if anything they'd be set up to shift a little earlier than 4 bangers.

Don't think the FSM is any help on this really.

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
5500 seems to be right, so I'll go with that.

ATaylorRacing
06-13-2012, 09:10 PM
You'll have to remember that my transmission was computer shifted. If I left it in D1 it would shift at 6000, D3 it would shift at 5500, and regular drive at under 5000 when flat out. By gutting the heck out of it I got it down to 2350 lbs and it was in the low 15s....when my 110 lb son hopped in it for a single lap at Indy he got it into its only 14 second pass! I was 245 lbs back then. The only thing that was different on the photo of the motor is that I ran a straight piece of flexible hose from the computer to the TB air horn....that air horn had really fine wire mesh in it and it basically was just shoved into the TB. The TB was from a mini van. The only onther mechanical mods was the first underdrive pulley kit that Forward Motion ever had. Cliff sent it to me for testing. There was no problems with it for normal driving. The UD pulley set up also made the car gain a full 2 mpg and about a 1/4 of a second....a win win situation. Hacking off the muffler actually slowed the car down. A Super Trapp was tested and ran slower than the stock muffler until 14 discs were put in....12 came with it. A total of 18 discs made it pick up about a tenth over the stock muffler. After a year of street driving in all types of weather the screws holding the guts in it rusted out and the entire insides blew out onto the highway and got smashed by a trailing 18 wheeler. I replaced that muffler (now a slower megaphone) with a different aftermarket one (can't remember the brand) and it must have been perfect since the car ran the same as when 18 discs were in the ST piece of crap.

ATaylorRacing
06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
40066 Carroll had signed the dash in really big lettering at the SDAC that he attended....sold the car to my wifes Uncle, he junked it after the waterpump went out. He was SUPPOSED to let me know if he ever got rid of it so I could have first dibs......dang it!

RoadWarrior222
06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
That was a 4 speed A604 then, but thanks for playing.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

He was SUPPOSED to let me know if he ever got rid of it so I could have first dibs......dang it!
Yah I hate that, even if you call it a loan, and you want it back, 2 or 3 years later it's "Oh, we got a new one, and it was crappy so we didn't think you'd want it back..." well yah, actually I did, that's why I PARTICULARLY SAID SO!!!

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
You'll have to remember that my transmission was computer shifted. .

Its not a 3 speed then, :(