PDA

View Full Version : Intake and BOV question

QC DSM ESiT
08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Okay I've figured out what I want to do with a custom intake. The only problem is that I've noticed that coming for the pipe that goes from the turbo to the throttle body there is a another tube that goes to the intake. When I open up the stock air box the tube is connected to what looks like a BOV. Is this correct? If I was to make a custom intake and eliminate the stock air box how would I hook the BOV back up to I don't have to have that portion of the box still in there? Thanks in advance guys.

cordes
08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Yes it is a BOV in the air box. You could cut it out of the box and put a filter on it I guess. I would pick up one for cheap off of ebay though.

86lance
08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
you probabaly already know this but a 1g talon or eclipse BOV works nice and theyre cheap.

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Yep, used Talon valves are great, :thumb:

QC DSM ESiT
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
See though this is my problem because I plan I putting in an intercooler sometime soon. So I don't want to make piping that has a 1G DSM BOV flange for a nonintercooled setup when I would just be getting rid of it a little after. So I guess when I am sticking the intercooler on I will just have to make a custom intake for that at the same time. Unless there is a BOV that will fit into that tube so I can just get rid of my air box.

cordes
08-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I would just leave it alone until you throw the IC in there. There won't be any preformance gained by messing with the air box etc. given your future plans.

Dave
08-09-2006, 12:53 AM
I would just leave it alone until you throw the IC in there. There won't be any preformance gained by messing with the air box etc. given your future plans.

What? Why that's absurd! Of course you'll gain something. I noticed a huge gain in boost response and a harder hit when the boost came on going from the stocker to a ram air intake.

QC DSM ESiT... what you need to do is remove the first half of the air box, I'm assuming you have an '89, this trick wont work with a '90+ vehicle, and remove the clamp that holds the hose to the BOV. Remove the hose and BOV from the air box, as well as with the vaccum line that goes to the BOV. Now reconnect everything outside the air box. That's it.

Now you're free to do whichever. What are you going to do with your PCV system from then-on?

Hope that helps,
-Bryan

QC DSM ESiT
08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
What? Why that's absurd! Of course you'll gain something. I noticed a huge gain in boost response and a harder hit when the boost came on going from the stocker to a ram air intake.

QC DSM ESiT... what you need to do is remove the first half of the air box, I'm assuming you have an '89, this trick wont work with a '90+ vehicle, and remove the clamp that holds the hose to the BOV. Remove the hose and BOV from the air box, as well as with the vaccum line that goes to the BOV. Now reconnect everything outside the air box. That's it.

Now you're free to do whichever. What are you going to do with your PCV system from then-on?

Hope that helps,
-Bryan

Okay I wasn't aware that it was that easy to remove all that stuff. As for the PCV I just planned on putting a little breather filter at the end of that line that would go into the air box.

cordes
08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Okay I wasn't aware that it was that easy to remove all that stuff. As for the PCV I just planned on putting a little breather filter at the end of that line that would go into the air box.

Were you having the blow by problem in anther thread or am I crazy?

I that was you, then I would leave it all alone if you are planning a IC soon. Otherwise you would want to get a catch can etc. hooked up so that you don't exasurbate the problem.

QC DSM ESiT
08-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Were you having the blow by problem in anther thread or am I crazy?

I that was you, then I would leave it all alone if you are planning a IC soon. Otherwise you would want to get a catch can etc. hooked up so that you don't exasurbate the problem.

Nope that wasn't me so I guess your just going crazy, lol. But I know if I do have quite a bit of oil in the tube there then I will just buy a catch can or something like that.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
When I ran regular rings, I just had the stock rubber T and used the stock metal pipe, with some silicone hose and a K@N breather on the end. I just let it dangle at the back of the engine. Worked great until you crack a piston, then oil gets blown everywhere. Hooking that line to a catch can is a great idea, thats what I have now.