PDA

View Full Version : 96 2.4 w/ SRT oiling modified

Speedeuphoria
08-06-2006, 08:50 PM
well I got the lower engine put together finally. It includes the following:
Weisco Srt 8.8 CR pistons(coated .020 over)
Pauter SRT rods
stock crank turned 10/10 and oil holes champhered
Clevite bearings
Srt water pump/tensioner/idler(not on yet)
Srt oil pump/pan/filter adapter(all ported and smoothed) also made my own adapter to get rid of the small stock filter and now uses the huge Mustang filter
Put the oil sender on the pan(where the small plug was)
-10 AN oil drain fitting in pan above baffles and oil level
Crank scrapper/ windage tray/trap door setup(I think it is a great design and looks great)
Modified pickup
Everything ballanced including the flexplate/pulley

Take a look it's getting there(sorry the pics look dark and the color looks funny)

Speedeuphoria
08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
here are more of the filter/ oil sender and magnetic drain plug
:confused: I really hope that the axle clears the filter:yuck: but I think it should, I will be making a sheild for it as well

Darkapollo
08-06-2006, 09:35 PM
:thumb: looking good!

mcsvt
08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Great work :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, very nice.

Where did you get the scraper setup?

Did you get the stronger oil pump gears?

Speedeuphoria
08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I got the windage setup from crank-scrapers.com
these are the gains Ed Peters discovered on the dyno w/ a 2.4PT na motor
@7500rpm Oil pan temp was 207 (-24) coolant temp was 201 (-10) it gained +7 hp +13 ftlb (the - #'s are the difference in temp from stock)
also he states this:
It is important to note that a turbocharged version of the 2.4 engine would have higher windage losses and oil heating due to the increased level of normal blow-by in the crankcase. Therefore even more benefit would be found in the use of a proper windage control system

I am not really woried about hardened oil pump gears. The only reason they fail is due to detonation, I also have a low oil press shut down to save it if they go.

87csx2.4
08-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Just in time for turbo season,looks good matt.:thumb:

Mario
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
I also have a low oil press shut down to save it if they go.

How is that set-up?

Speedeuphoria
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
well you hook it to relays to shut off what you want(I' shutting off, fuel and spark)
then when you go to start the car it won't start(or give fuel in my case) until it builds oil pressure
so you hook a normaly open momentary push button switch so you hold the button when you try to start the car to bypass the shutoff then when you let off it will cut whatever if the oil pressure falls below 7psi

Mario
08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
I like that idea a lot. I think I'm going to run that next time I do a few upgrades to the charger....or the next one I get.

87csx2.4
08-08-2006, 04:02 AM
really hope that the axle clears the filter but I think it should, I will be making a sheild for it as wellThats what I was thinking its very tight,where there's a will there's a way.

Speedeuphoria
08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Thats what I was thinking its very tight,where there's a will there's a way.

I know that the neons have about 1.75" clearance to the axle with the big filter and minus the spacer I made. I Have another option if this doesn't pan out(just have to take the adapter back off and modify it)

TurbododgePirate
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Wow, that looks absolutley great. I guess I'm going to have to go to the machine shop tomorrow and ----- to get mine to that point.

~~Heath

Speedeuphoria
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Might as well bump this
Just to let anyone know that the oil filter clears fine, also so does the oil sender(took it out for installing the motor because its tight and didnt want to bang it on the K frame)

I found that the part of the DCR oilling mods (where they sell you this large filter as well), they just send you 2 stock gaskets. I made an aluminum spacer(to go between the 2 gaskets) because the gaskets have O rings and didnt like how the 2 went together(obviously it works well enough). Also you can mill the filter adapter at ~3^ and the big filter will clear the pan. If you dont want to do this you can use a larger than stock filter from a 3.8 motor(I think but dont quote me, its same diameter but longer, but not as huge as the 5.0L Ford filter) or a certain AC Delco(search on neons.org)

I did some more small tricks I read about online to the pistons and oiling system while I was building it.

Supposed to be in the 50's next week so maybe I'll get some motivation to get it ready for the road:thumb:

inmyshadow
03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I wish I could have afforded the SRT4 oil setup for my 2.4 motor I'm swapping in to my neon. The oil filter location on a 1gen motor scares me. Even more so once I lower the car.

later

TurbododgePirate
03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
The AN fitting by the oil filter adapter.... is that your turbo oil drain back?

Speedeuphoria
03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
The AN fitting by the oil filter adapter.... is that your turbo oil drain back?

yep

this is where someone else put one, mine is where the red X is(also note how tiny the filter is:eyebrows: )
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/2_4-016.jpg

TurbododgePirate
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
yep

this is where someone else put one, mine is where the red X is(also note how tiny the filter is:eyebrows: )
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/2_4-016.jpg

Thanks for the information. I need to find a crank position sensor like that one.

Speedeuphoria
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I have one I'm not using

but its mounted to the block:(

Mario
03-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if you've been driving your spirit yet, if you have, are you satisfied with the Crank scrapper/ windage tray/trap door setup.

87csx2.4
03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Ive got the same setup in my car and it works very well I just need to make the oil restrictor a little smaller.

TurbododgePirate
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I understand that the oil restrictor to the head needs to be changed... can anyone give specifics??

DodgeZ
04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
do those big oil filters clear the axle?

Speedeuphoria
04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
do those big oil filters clear the axle?

Might as well bump this
Just to let anyone know that the oil filter clears fine, also so does the oil sender(took it out for installing the motor because its tight and didnt want to bang it on the K frame)

I found that the part of the DCR oilling mods (where they sell you this large filter as well), they just send you 2 stock gaskets. I made an aluminum spacer(to go between the 2 gaskets) because the gaskets have O rings and didnt like how the 2 went together(obviously it works well enough). Also you can mill the filter adapter at ~3^ and the big filter will clear the pan. If you dont want to do this you can use a larger than stock filter from a 3.8 motor(I think but dont quote me, its same diameter but longer, but not as huge as the 5.0L Ford filter) or a certain AC Delco(search on neons.org)

I did some more small tricks I read about online to the pistons and oiling system while I was building it.

Supposed to be in the 50's next week so maybe I'll get some motivation to get it ready for the road:thumb:there ya go:thumb:, if you didnt allready, read the whole post, there a few ways to get it to fit on there(it will not fit stock, hits the pan)

also I'm not sure if the oil cooler(and heater imo) will fit or not

DodgeZ
04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
there ya go:thumb:, if you didnt allready, read the whole post, there a few ways to get it to fit on there(it will not fit stock, hits the pan)

also I'm not sure if the oil cooler(and heater imo) will fit or not

What I have heard, is the long axle doesn't fit if you have an oil cooler.