PDA

View Full Version : TIII Thunk Thunk Thunk during left turns

rbrthrly900
06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
So today driving home, I noticed a funny thunk during left hand turns... Didnt have much time to look at it in the garage, but did look under and what I found was that during left hand turns the whole motor/tranny moves a bit... Side to side motion... Almost like something is bent and making it sway in the mounts... Not sure if that makes sense to you... But if you are looking at the motor, and the wheel is turned left, the motor sways a little from side to side as the wheels roll... I do not have time to look at it right now, but will tomorrow evening... Anyone know what I should be looking for??? I look under it tonight, and didnt notice anything that was out of the ordinary...

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Black93RT
06-07-2012, 11:16 PM
My IROC R/T had a noise turning left for a while, it turned out the engine was shifted toward the passenger side and the Power Steering pump pulley would hit the inside of the fender while turning left.

Loosening the mounts, re-centering the motor, then tightening them solved my problem.

Hope that helps!

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2012, 01:24 AM
The motor will move when you turn, but what ^^^^^^^^ he said sounds like your issue.

rbrthrly900
06-08-2012, 07:31 AM
When I jacked up just the pass. side and had the wheel turned left, I looked underneath to see if anything was out of the ordinary.. Nothing looked funny, but when I turned the tire/wheel by hand, I could see the motor sway from left to right... I will look if the power steering pump is hitting anything, but why would it just start out of nowhere??? Very weird... Wont be able to do anything until tonight... Flying to Mannheim Auto Auction today.... Thanks, for the advise, will let you know what I fine... Any other ideas, incase that is not it...

rbrthrly900
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Power steering pump not hitting... Put it on one jack stand so far... Will get the other side up tomorrow... Been a long day... Got under it just to take a look see with no wheel and whatnot... What I did notice is that where the Pass. side axle connects with the 2nd piece there is no play at all... It used to slide back and forth a bit on the shaft... No more... I will be uploading a photo of the area that I am talking about... How to I fix this??? Not really sure what even happened.... Thanks...

Rob Harley
301-305-7242

rbrthrly900
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Well here are 2 photos of the area that I am talking about... Hoping to be able to get this baby back in so to speak tonight... I hope I can figure this out... Anyone have any ideas shoot....

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu351/rbrthrly90/2012-06-08212029.jpghttp://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu351/rbrthrly90/2012-06-08212010.jpg

rbrthrly900
06-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I didnt take it apart or anything.. I just thought it would slide back in somehow... I have no clue... I took the carrier bearing off and tried to move the halfshaft around to get it back in, but no luck... What should I do??? Someone please help...

lengel
06-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Take the equal length axle out and put a unequal length axle in. If it the axle you think is giving you the problem.

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Its probably seized, common issue, so do what Lengel suggested, that will eliminate that issue to find your problem.