PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Removal - Tips/Suggestions?

85_600
08-06-2006, 03:13 PM
On an early 85 2.2.

Are they any trouble spots or tips and or tricks to removing it?

Thanks!
Paul

85_600
08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm probably doing this Thursday, and ideas?

Thanks!
P

BadAssPerformance
08-07-2006, 01:43 PM
It is pretty easy to do. Might help to unbolt a couple things in the way like the triange shaped trans to block support brace, and lower trans dirt sheld.

85_600
08-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks B.A. The support and dirt shield - Are they difficult to remove? I'm looking to pop out #2 as fast as possible. With the high possiblity of getting this car on the road in a couple months, mainly due to time restraints, I'd like to find out if I need a piston or not, then, get my order ordered from FWD and get stuff put back together...

Thanks!
P

inmyshadow
08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Oil pans are only tough when they cover balanceshafts. Since a 2.2 of or your vintage doesn't have them, it shouldn't be a problem.

On my 2.5 shadow. After removing the balanceshafts, I never needed to remove a damn thing other then the inspection cover to the tranny.

Tools you need? 18mm socket. 10mm openned wrench. That lets you remove the three bolts holding the cover on. I'd suggest a breaker bar for the two 18mm bolts. Then can be tough, easily breaking a rachet.

The pan uses 10mm bolts. I like to use a 1/4in drive 10mm on a few of them only because it clears the tranny to engine bracket easier 3/8s drive.

85_600
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Oil pans are only tough when they cover balanceshafts. Since a 2.2 of or your vintage doesn't have them, it shouldn't be a problem.

On my 2.5 shadow. After removing the balanceshafts, I never needed to remove a damn thing other then the inspection cover to the tranny.

Tools you need? 18mm socket. 10mm openned wrench. That lets you remove the three bolts holding the cover on. I'd suggest a breaker bar for the two 18mm bolts. Then can be tough, easily breaking a rachet.

The pan uses 10mm bolts. I like to use a 1/4in drive 10mm on a few of them only because it clears the tranny to engine bracket easier 3/8s drive.

GREAT tips there:thumb: Thanks for the advise on the sockets as well. A lot of times I see responses to posts like this but no socket sizes...This is good:)

Thanks Again!
Paul

BadAssPerformance
08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Cool, good luck!

inmyshadow
08-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I need to correct myself. One of the inspection cover's bolt is 15mm. That is the front bolt, that helps hold the motor mount.

If you do need to remove the engine to tranny support, that is two more 18mm bolts. You removed one already with the inspection cover.

I only know this sizes because I had to pull my oil pan twice last week.

BadAssPerformance
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I need to correct myself. One of the inspection cover's bolt is 15mm. That is the front bolt, that helps hold the motor mount.

Should be 18mm hex on that motor mount bolt into the bell housing.