PDA

View Full Version : Fork pad time. Starting with 568 1-2 & 5

135sohc
06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm just going to throw this out here and let the community decide.

This if for the 568-543-523 1-2 and 5th gear shift forks. The 3-4's are still available for the time being but those can be made next if this works out first.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_Picture072.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=Picture072.jpg)

Hello Craig.
The cost for the bronze pads per your sample. $8.10 ea. Min quanity 250 pcs. $2025.00. Please let me know if you would like to procede with the order. it is about a 6 week lead time till we see them. Thanks again, Kevin

The Gear Box Transmissions, Inc.
734-793-0727 M-Th 8:30-4:30 EST
www.thegearbox.org (http://www.thegearbox.org) - Deal Direct & Save!

5 people do a group buy with the minimum quantity/figures given its going to be $405/person (plus shipping but thats not expensive). 50 pads/person is enough for 10-12 transmissions depending upon how many you want to use. (Maybe you and a buddy could split $405 and each have a little stash for your car and any future rebuilds... just an idea if your on the fence about spending $400 on something...)

More people/higher quantity will make it more economical for everyone as usual.

Thoughts/ideas/comments ?

I am no man of deep pockets but god damn the time has come and critical mass is here, its 2012 and we are still kicking the ball around with nothing happening.

Tentative list:
135sohc- ???
CHRYNY- 12

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2012, 02:15 AM
What's going on with JT's stuff?

135sohc
06-05-2012, 03:39 AM

I know he's a busy guy and this is all a hobby to everyone here, myself included... But trying to keep these in house is to put it (as I see it) the reason why this whole process has been such a slow moving one. Finding the raw material stock in the right dimensions was the last issue I knew of ?

When I first contacted the gearbox place (Thanks to James Reeves!) and then sent them a pad to quote based upon their other offerings I was expecting them to be in the $15/per piece range and that would have been a tough sell. But just over $8 was a real surprise and I still wonder can we really do something cheaper in house ??? I am alll for keeping things within the community but at what 'cost'... Not necessarily just $ but the overall picture. 3 months from now ? 6 months from now or maybe a year ? Get where I'm asking with this ?

250 units should be that hard to reach... On the high end that is 63 transmissions. If half the people who claim to have an interest in these decided to follow through and pay up... 250 would be reached and easily exceeded.

Or maybe someone has a surprise and is waiting to release it as SDAC since that is coming up very soon, making this thread moot and without need. I dunno... Would like to think that with all the effort and time I have put into this and other things that I would be kept up to the current status of things and not left in the dark.

No offense or hard feelings towards anyone. That is just how I see it and have seen it for the past couple of years now. If I am wrong please feel free to correct where I am wrong.

135sohc
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
To the top of the list.

I have had a few pm's asking about this. Even if you dont want to make a larger buy-in. Any amount towards the 250 MSQ is better than nothing and helps this become a reality.

If you are ready and willing to contribute towards this please post to the thread with your screen name and how many you would like to purchase and a running list will be added to the first post.

Thank you.

135sohc
06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
bumpo

Reaper1
06-09-2012, 01:51 AM
These are just for the 3-plane trannies, not 555's, right?

lengel
06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I was going to look into making these but if you found a shop that will do them, that sounds good to me! I planed on doing these over the summer but its starting to look more like a fall or winter project.:( It sounds like they are doing them for a reasonable price too. I do think more people would be interested, if you could have them do the 3-4 pad as well, so you could sell them as a full set. This is what I was going to do. If you could get them to do the 3-4 pad, I would be in for a set or two. Also what alloy of bronze are they going to be made out of?

Adam

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Craig, no offense at all... we're all on the same team man, lets talk about stuff... thought you knew Adam was working on them from the other thread?

JT's a busy guy with SDAC-22 planning, however hasn't thought much about them since sending Adam info on them... but sounds like he's busy too.

I was going to look into making these but if you found a shop that will do them, that sounds good to me! I planed on doing these over the summer but its starting to look more like a fall or winter project.:( It sounds like they are doing them for a reasonable price too. I do think more people would be interested, if you could have them do the 3-4 pad as well, so you could sell them as a full set. This is what I was going to do. If you could get them to do the 3-4 pad, I would be in for a set or two. Also what alloy of bronze are they going to be made out of?

Adam

Yep, that was the plan, to be able to sell sets and also not have 250 pc minimum... Does anone else in our community have CNC access and would be interested in making these in small batches?

black86glhs
06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
If we didn't spend all the money we do on SDAC, think of the stuff we could do as a group!!!!

Sorry, could help it.:p:lol:

Edit.....if they fit the 555 trans, I'de be on it like me on a twinkie!!!! I personally have no use for the 91+ trans stuff.

daver
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Subscribed and would be interested for a couple sets hoping we can get the buy in down.

Aries_Turbo
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
im good for one set of 1-2 and 5th,

lengel
06-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Any word on these? Look Like its going to happen?

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Are you saying you got time to make them now?

135sohc
06-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Given the lackluster interest shown thus far No... Kinda sad but really shows the true colors of this place and that outside of a maybe a dozen or so core people nobody else really seems to be concerned with these. Same people who posted in this thread, same people who bought snap rings when I had them made. People you can trust and count on to put their money where their mouth is. Those are in a really short supply around here :(

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
The problem is very few people are interested in enough parts to do a dozen transmissions and would be willing to put $400 on the shelf.

If Lengel or someone else in our community with a CNC could make smaller batches and even make a couple bucks doing it, then that would be ideal.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I think they are the same as the 555, if my memory is correct. Obviously the 523/568 are the same.

lengel
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Are you saying you got time to make them now?

Well I do have that 12" long 1" diameter piece of 630 bronze sitting in my box at work. I was thinking if 135sohc was having the 1-2 & 5 pads made I could start looking at the 3-4 pad.

bfarroo
06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
The problem is very few people are interested in enough parts to do a dozen transmissions and would be willing to put $400 on the shelf.

If Lengel or someone else in our community with a CNC could make smaller batches and even make a couple bucks doing it, then that would be ideal.

I'd also be willing to put $400 in if needed. I know the ones in my trans were questionable when I put it back together but I didn't have any options. I don't know what all is involved in the machining but if we ever got slow at work I could talk with my boss about making them. We've just been super busy for a while so who knows when the availability would be.

135sohc
06-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Well I do have that 12" long 1" diameter piece of 630 bronze sitting in my box at work. I was thinking if 135sohc was having the 1-2 & 5 pads made I could start looking at the 3-4 pad.

You can do whatever. Theres just not any interest in these besides a handfull of people who have expressed in this thread and a few pm's.