PDA

View Full Version : 85 block to common block..

BOOSTIFIED
06-04-2012, 01:29 AM
So in my swap to a common block setup in my Charger.. can someone tell me what I can use.. from the 85 block if anything on the common block? The block is already built, so I am talking, sensors, water pump, alt.. etc.. all that stuff.. oil sensors.. etc..

Thanks.. I need to make a list..

supercrackerbox
06-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Timing stuff has to stay from the common block, but all the accessories will transfer right over. You may have to notch the oil pan for clearance for your water pump (very minor) and you may need to swap the oil distribution block that feeds your turbo and your oil sending units, as many common block cars ran one sender for both the gauge and the light, so they have one fewer port than the older engines.

turbovanmanČ
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
You'll also need a flywheel, your 85 is 6 bolts, CB's are 8 bolts.

BOOSTIFIED
06-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Common block is already built with flywheel on.. is there any upgrades I can do now.. with starter? aren't some years smaller? I thought I remembered.. and also Alt upgrade to a Nip?

cordes
06-05-2012, 01:36 AM
While there is a size difference between some of the starters, they all bolt on just the same.

The nippo alt will bolt right on with the proper bolts and tensioner. There are a lot of ways to do it, but here is how I installed mine.

http://omniglht.com/nd.html

Don't forget to run the right bolt for the WP housing you are running. It's specific to the housing and tensioner.

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I prefer the Nippo starter, its smaller and has a built in heat shield, the alternator is also much better than the Bosch unit.

supercrackerbox
06-05-2012, 03:41 AM
I prefer the Nippo starter, its smaller and has a built in heat shield . . .

Agreed.

rbryant
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I am pretty sure that an 85 could come with either a 6 bolt or 8 bolt crank and either 10mm or 11mm headbolts depending on how late in the year it was produced.

I believe the 85s did come with the older style larger rods and a G head through the whole year though. A late '85 turbo 2.2 engine with the larger headbolts and 8 bolt crank was the best factory 2.2 longblock until '89. The G head gave it a slight edge in power over the newer longblocks.

-Rich