PDA

View Full Version : TIII Ting ting noise. Louder when serp belt is off.

bobconan
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a noise coming from the area of the acc pulley. Im thinking its the timing belt and that when the sepr belt is on it dampens the noise from the timing cog. Timing tension is at 95 with the pins aligned and gives very different readings at other locations. I loosened the timing up and it seems to have gotten more frequent.

bobconan
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Any Ideas? I really feel its not the timing belt but don't know what could be causing it. Its a metallic water pump failure kind of sound. Nowhere near as loud though.

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
What happens when you take the serp belt off?

bobconan
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Noise gets louder but the frequency dosent change. I think the acc pully amplifies the sound.

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, have you checked the idler and tensioner bearings?

bobconan
06-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I put the stethescope to them and it dosent seem to be coming from them. It's not a loud noise but just the loudest noise coming from the passenger side of the car.

turbovanmanČ
06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Have you taken the pulleys off and checked them for noise?

RoadWarrior222
06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
A bearing race might make that kind of noise with one bad ball in it... I'd spin all the pulleys by hand and see if they feel catchy anywhere, even if it's only every 2nd or 3rd revolution or something (Which might happen in a case where there's ding in a ball catching a ding in the race, and it's only when they sync up)

Black93RT
06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a noise coming from the area of the acc pulley. Im thinking its the timing belt and that when the sepr belt is on it dampens the noise from the timing cog. Timing tension is at 95 with the pins aligned and gives very different readings at other locations. I loosened the timing up and it seems to have gotten more frequent.

This might be an issue... did you remove the pins after putting the belt on BEFORE setting tension? If yes, did you set the tension with the rockers loose OR by using two 18mm wrenches to pull all the slack to between the cams? If yes did you set the timing, then rotate the assemble a few times and set again?