PDA

View Full Version : 16v iroc 'tona no spark

GLHSKEN
05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Car was running fine (bad trans) when pulled apart. Fresh block, rebuilt trans (thanks Jackson...) cranks fine... compression a bit high 170 across the board. No spark. All components worked prior to disassembly. Novice to 16V's. We've tried another known good coil pack. Fuel comes up fine. No clue what to check next.

Additional point... Car is a factory alarm car. Could this be cutting out the spark? if so how do you fix?

GLHSKEN
06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
AWWW.... C'mon Someone has to have an idea...

karlak
06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
cam and crank sensors ok?

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Did you reuse the proper flywheel? Did you replace the clutch while it was apart?

Codes? Is the alarm light flashing? I have one here that will start for a few secs then die with the factory alarm on.

Call me if you want.

BadAssPerformance
06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forum! :clap:

LOL, sorry just JOKEN ;)

cordes
06-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the forum! :clap:

LOL, sorry just JOKEN ;)

That's really not funny JT.

I mean the guy just had all of that work done and his car is broKEN. I would be freaKEN out if it were me, but I would at least take solace in the fact that the new seals aren't leaKEN. I just hope he'll be taKEN the car to SDAC this year so I can at least see him for part of the weeKENd.

Show some decorum man.

black86glhs
06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Just curious, what's his name?

Turbo3Iroc
06-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Pull the crank sensor, people have damaged it installing transmissions before. If it looks ok I would look at the clutch/flywheel. Which clutch did you put in it? Was it from one of our vendors? Some plates have too large of a diameter and mask the timing slots in the flywheel. As far as I know the vendors only carry T3 compatible pressure plates.

Usually the alarm is an issue when you have a non alarm SBEC in an alarm equipped car. It is something to look into before pulling the trans again. The late Ralph Scott was the reference on this. I imagine Jackson knows as well.

GLHSKEN
06-02-2012, 08:56 AM
LOL... I KEN take it...

Kelly and Simon. Same crank and pressure plate as were on it. simply a new clutch disk. Car ran before with the sbec. We'll swap crank sensor 1st today. then cam if need be. Looks like the ASD set-up in this car is 2 relays in the underhood relay box. I can feel 1 open, but not both. I have spares of those as well. We'll try a few things today while cranKEN her over... :p

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Did you reuse the proper flywheel? Did you replace the clutch while it was apart?

Codes? Is the alarm light flashing? I have one here that will start for a few secs then die with the factory alarm on.

Call me if you want.

thanks SImon- there are codes, but the damn sbec flashes with weird pauses.... hard to read.

BadAssPerformance
06-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Good luck worKEN on it this weeKENd! :thumb:

Turbo3Iroc
06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Also look at the wires on the crank sensor. They wear and end up breaking right at the connection to the sensor.

minigts
06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
AWWW.... C'mon Someone has to have an idea...

Do you have a battery in it? I'd start there and make sure you have power. :)

GLHSKEN
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
LOL MR Trotter.

No voltage at the coil pack. swapped a relay, no change. Ordered a new crank sensor... old ones would not come out!

turbovanmanČ
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Sounds like it got damaged when you did the trans. Next time, take it out, :p

Turbo3Iroc
06-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes it is a good idea to install it after the trans goes back in but they also get siezed in there and end up breaking when removed.

minigts
06-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Sounds like it got damaged when you did the trans. Next time, take it out, :p

Easier said than done.

Yes it is a good idea to install it after the trans goes back in but they also get siezed in there and end up breaking when removed.

Yep, I tried to remove one from a 568 on a work bench and it did not budge at all. Got damaged where the bolt holds it down, so I just left it in and eventually sold the trans. :p (with full disclosure, of course)

karlak
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Any luck with this?

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Or is it still broKEN?

BadAssPerformance
06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
KEN needs to get it worKEN so he KEN leave KENtucky and KEN travel up to MichiKEN :D