PDA

View Full Version : Open downpipe on the dragbeater

Dodge Aries K
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Will running an open downpipe on our drag racer beater do any major harm to the engine? It's just a beat up 2.2 Log turbo car for the time being and we're just looking to have some fun with it without making it explode.

Tony Hanna
08-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Shouldn't. I know alot of people have run an open downpipe in the past and I've never heard of any problems. Just take care with the common sense stuff like not sitting in the car with the windows up for long periods (CO poisioning), and make sure the end of the dp is pointed in a direction where the heat won't hurt anything (I've actually set the carpet on fire in a car from this). Other than that, you should be fine.

Dodge Aries K
08-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Exactly what I wanted to hear! Photos when we beat on it some more and get started on the project.

Una
08-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Yeah, and make sure the DP clears the steering rack.. So you don't cook it.. :)

R/T
08-06-2006, 10:31 PM
No problemo..... :thumb:

Dave
08-07-2006, 02:31 AM
I run an open downpipe every day on my car. Love the noise of that big turbo spoolin' up and down. Like they said, make sure it clears everything.

Turbodave
08-07-2006, 11:33 AM
No problem with an open downpipe, the car will love it, and it sounds hella cool to. When the Nyer was running with a TI setup that's all we did, just hacked off the exhaust after the K-frame and aimed it at the ground.

Your goal with the Dragbeater is 13.71 in 1/4, that was the best the Nyer ran with a 200k mile setup and log intake.

Spend the money on race gas and crank the boost, that's what it's all about.

Garret
08-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Open SV would be better for at the track... but then the PS rack *might* get cooked but it's not so bad I drove a Turbo Z I had for over 3 months with just an Open SV and never had the rack cook so who knows? And when I say drove I mean DROVE like into the ground ;)